+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Prot) Tanking Sword vs. DPS Sword

(Prot) Tanking Sword vs. DPS Sword

Specced 15/5/51 (Deep Wounds) I've done some org dummy testing and it seems my TPS and DPS is higher with

Torment of the Banished
    Torment of the Banished - Item - World of Warcraft
    +Accuracy

vs.

Red Sword of Courage
    Red Sword of Courage - Item - World of Warcraft
    +Mongoose

Any theory-crafting i did not consider? Here is my armory - The World of Warcraft Armory

On the dummy where you arent getting hit the 2.6 is going to be better, but where a boss is giving you enough rage to heroic strike on every attack the faster weapon should pull ahead

Hrmmm, well the DPS sword does have 186 more top end damage, and then there's the haste. It would be interesting to know at what point haste would make this weapon superior, if it does at all.

Aside from the swing speed I like the DPS weapon better in all other categories for a threat weapon. If you have access to windfury totems, or some haste buffs it would be an interesting experiment to try in a real tanking environment.

the enchants might have something to do with it too... accuracy seems clearly better than mongoose at this point

What about if he was using a 1.6 dps sword, like widowmaker (or some similar name, got it on a Naxx run and have not looked at it for a while) would that be the best of both worlds?

From speed alone, the Red Sword of Courage does about 40 more tps. I'm not sure if the dps sword is going to be able to recoup that on stats alone.

Slower weapon = bigger Deep Wounds Ticks, fatter Devastates (not that Dev is a core of the rotation anymore, but every little helps)

I use my Torment of the Banished in Heroics and versus trash. A typical heroic run I'm doing about 1500-1600 dps; not all of that is down to the weapon, but some of it definitely is.

Quote Originally Posted by shiz98 View Post
    From speed alone, the Red Sword of Courage does about 40 more tps. I'm not sure if the dps sword is going to be able to recoup that on stats alone.
    Red Sword (which I also have) doing +40 tps is negligible, threat is not an issue these days. It's more fun to contribute meaningfully to damage, at least in an heroic or on trash. Besides which, every tank is using the Red Sword. So it's nice to stand out.

Lastly, Torment of the Banished is the same model as the original Widow's Remorse from Naxx 40; I'm going to use it for that reason alone!

+ Reply to Thread