+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot Warrior gear for PvP battlegrounds?

Prot Warrior gear for PvP battlegrounds?

First off I'll say that I haven't really PvP'd much at all since BC came out. I loved it pre BC when MS was king, but then it died out for me and I focused on tanking full time.

With the start of Achievements, I just recently decided to get back in to PvP. However, I'm doing it 100% prot spec. I'm wearing the gear I wear for 3D sarth and all the other fun 25 man's.

I own Dreadful Gladiator BP & Gauntlets, and have more than enough badges / honor to purchase the rest in Hateful Gladiator... So here's my question before I do that.

What gear should I use to make the most of my prot spec and still do well in battlegrounds where healers aren't always around?
    I've noticed that my Defense does nothing these days against players... Back in the pre BC days, you couldn't be crit by players using defense alone.

So yeah, where do I start?
    Also: What enchants / gems should I focus on? Do I want to stack stamina, or do more with resilience? I won't attempt arena's at all for a while. Maybe once I feel comfortable in the BG's using proper PvP gear. So yeah, help out!

PS - Are my 25 man KT axe & shield ok as primary weapons in PvP?

Resilience is still king for you. but as far as gear other than PvP gear High Blockvalue and high block are very good. Also having PvP hit cap is obviously nice.

Ok. So what is the PvP hit cap?

What is the Resilience cap? And if that is too high, what is an acceptable amount of Resilience? I'm really a complete newb when it comes to PvP in the modern game. Any and all info that would help is appreciated =)

I'm pretty sure you just wear fury pvp gear, but with a sword and shield for prot pvp. You still get your stuns, and all the CC one would come to expect from a prot warrior, but you'll do a lot more damage and once you're dismantled it's not like you're taking taking that much less damage in prot gear from that stunlocking rogue than you are in fury gear. At least this way you can maybe put some dps out before you get taken down.

Ehhh there is where i really disagree with other people and it should all be taken under consideration based on your play styles and how you feel personally but let me throw in my 2 cents.

The entire idea of resilience is to survive. It is built and made to act as a survival stat for classes that do not normally come with them, while still affording a portion of the damage stats that others have. It is a fact that when you switch from your pve equipment to your pvp equipment, you will lose overall damage in return for some ridiculous amounts of survivability.

Now keeping that in mind, the gear that a tank of your stature (sarth 3 drakes) wears on a regular basis is also built for survivability. In fact, your gear is the very best gear in the game for survivability because instead of just not being crit, you become extremely hard to hit with regular amounts of damage.

My general rule of thumb for PvPing (which you will also see mentioned in several other threads here), is to not put on a piece of resilience gear for the resilience. Put on that piece of gear if it is an overall stat upgrade. Warriors use strength, block value, crit, and attack power to up their damage potential. When you look at the gear available to a top PvE tank you will find that VERY few pieces of PvP gear will end up with a solid stat upgrade. If you are going to lose some avoidance stats and pick up resil and dps stats, then it would be a reasonable change. However, if you are going to lose avoidance stats and some of your dps stats for a relatively marginal return on resil and dps stats, then you are wasting your time.

Often times the best set to go with will be the gear you tank in, simply because your damage will stay high with your ability to survive also still very high. Do not fall victim to the idea that you MUST have a ton of resil in order to PvP. Alot of my gladiator level fury warrior friends only bring as much PvP gear as is necessary for the teams they have been facing that day. None of them ever put on their full Deadly set unless they are getting hardcore focused every match. A prot warrior has even less of a concern with it.

I would encourage you check out what you wear now compared to the other pieces you can obtain and try to build a set that keeps your stam around 30k (unbuffed), and your block value over 1000 (preferably higher since it WILL be your key source of damage). These are just some very base stats, but usually end up working out fairly well for me.

Goodluck to you in your PvProt Bg's.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Thanks for the response. My next question for you, Magnuss: Have you attempted arena's as a prot spec war, or is that better left for some spike class?

I know 1 on 1, I'm a force to be reckoned with. I don't do a ton of damage (except on cloth), but I'll outlast almost anyone that I come up against. I laugh at DK's and have yet to find one that can down me 1 on 1. I'm not a huge fan of holy / prot pally's due to their stupid amounts of self preservation, but you do what you have to. Most ret pally's are a joke, however.

Anyway, back to the whole Arena's thing:

If you have done arena's as prot, what was your strat? Were you successful at all?

Those are my questions.

I currently do 2s and 3s as prot in arena. I have yet to actually do it as any other spec so I have become fairly comfortable with it. A few things to note with arena.

1) Prot warrior is NOT a damage class. It is a burst and control class. This means that in 2s and 3s you had better bring someone else who is able to knuckle up and pump out the damage necessary to take down the other team. This is not to say that prot cannot beat up another player even under low rage scenarios, but it isnt reliable and gets weaker as your opponents get better gear.

2) Unlike most arena comps where you base your team around a healer, with prot warrior teams you must base the comp around that prot warrior. It is far easier to do arena as fury simply because the coordination aspect isnt as severe. If you are going to bring in a prot warrior then you are going to have to coordinate and work with your teammates to make full use of prot's abilities and capitalize whenever possible.

I would encourage you that if you want to do arena, make sure you have a partner who is willing to lose and lose and lose until you are able to figure out how to work with one another. My 2s team got up to 1720 rating last week (before falling to 1660) with an arcane mage as my partner. That team started off at 1300 and was built up from there, with little care as to losses that we had. Myself and my arcane mage are VERY VERY solid players in some of the best gear available in the game and we still have to work our asses off to climb the rankings. Even if we outgear and outplay another team, our comp is just not as good as others out there.

Be willing to lose and learn from everything. Prot warriors are a rare breed to see in arena but good ones definitely leave a mark on their opponents and have the ability to succeed.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

I have to disagree with the above poster. Resilience is key for prot warriors, just the same as others. Warriors have very little magic mitigation, as such in pvp I get burned down allot quicker then in pve. Ive found my best results coming from a mix of pve prot gear/pvp.

- I use pvp gear for bracers,belt,boots, neck,cloak and the trinket. Oh yeah and chest because I have deadly. This puts my resil at about 300 and I notice a huge difference in survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by cael View Post
    I have to disagree with the above poster. Resilience is key for prot warriors, just the same as others. Warriors have very little magic mitigation, as such in pvp I get burned down allot quicker then in pve. Ive found my best results coming from a mix of pve prot gear/pvp.

- I use pvp gear for bracers,belt,boots, neck,cloak and the trinket. Oh yeah and chest because I have deadly. This puts my resil at about 300 and I notice a huge difference in survivability.
    With casters in general the ability to spell reflect with a 5 second duration (or first cast) and a 10 second cooldown allows for a HUGE portion of magical damage to be reduced. Now it is true that if you go rolling around through the thick of battlegrounds, having alot of resil will reduce the pwnage by the 4 mages defending LM. However, this does not necessarily mean your chances to survive effectively are going to be greater. That could mean the difference between living 10 seconds and living 12 seconds. Sometimes that is a gamebreaker, sometimes it isnt. The problem is that what is the cost of that resil? If you were to run into 4 mages with MASSIVE burst potential and they were smart enough to not spell reflect themselves to death then which would you rather have? 12 seconds of flailing about at them, hoping to get some support? or 10 seconds where you manage to score a kill because you still have so much block value from PvE its rediculous.

Also keep in mind that a full set of warrior PvE gear will have at least 540 def rating which is 5.6% reduction to be crit. Add ontop of that whatever resil you happen to have (ie trinket), and you now have the equivalent of about 400-600 resil on you. It wont reduce as much damage from the crits you do take, but you are already fairly difficult to take down. Switching to that resil gear may have increased your resil and dropped your max health by 2k. At that point it may or may not have been worth the loss.

Im not trying to say you are wrong by any means. I roll around in some of the best PvE gear in the entire game and most people dont have that luxury. I simply encourage you to think about all the aspects of your gear prior to actually stacking resil just for the sake of resil. It is a very expensive item stat which is only useful for 1 thing.

I've been doing BG's a lot this weekend. I gemmed / enchanted my 2 pieces of Deadly Gladiator gear that I got from VoA25. I also purchased the "new" level 80 PvP trinket. So far, I'm pretty impressed with how things are working out. My BG damage output has gone up substancially (I got the 300k damage achievement in an EotS match last night) and I'm surviving quite well 1 on 1. To be honest, the only classes that seem to kill me in an even fight are a very well played hunter that can kite me eternally around their frost trap. Or a healing class (aside from ret pally's, as they die fast).

Healing still causes me issues due to the instant casts and my damage not being enough to hurt them between instant cast cooldowns.

Honestly though, I'm having a blast.

Last night, for example, we were in Warsong Gulch.

Both horde & alliance had the flag, and were working on sniping the other team's flag carrier so we could get the cap. I went into the opponent's throne room solo and saw 3 people waiting for me. 2 DK's (they're pretty much useless), and a warlock.

I quickly delt with the warlock, then focused on the DK that was carrying the flag. I got him down to sub 2k hp before I was finally killed. Fortunately, a rogue had snuck in behind me and as soon as I died, he popped out of the shadows and killed the low HP DK flag carrier and we won our match.

Good fun!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot the reason for this post. I logged out last night wearing my PvP gear. What do you think of it? Should I maybe swap out some stuff in favor of building my def back up over the 517 level that it's currently sitting at?

Also, what are your thoughts on using the Last Laugh? Would Broken Promise be a better choice due to the jousting nature of PvP?
    Last edited by Szader; 02-23-2009 at 07:38 AM.

I've been PvPing as a prot warrior for nearly a year now. I don't do Arenas so I'm limited to BGs and WG.

To answer your last question - I prefer Broken Promise over Last Laugh myself (though I'd prefer a weapon with more damage oriented stats either way, like Silent Crusader). I don't mind losing a little DPS if the trade-off is getting a slower, harder hitting weapon. It helps a little with some burst damage, and should you be fighting someone you can't drop in 4 seconds those Devastates start hurting for more and more with the slower weapon.

Back on the gear, though, I also prefer PvP gear over tanking gear. I have upper-end stuff as well, missing only a handful of top-notch pieces, but I find the resilience + crit that PvP gear has helps a lot (though I could see it differently in Arenas). Tanking gear is great against other meleers, but as noted earlier in the thread it doesn't do much against magic users. Switching from tanking gear to full PvP gear I double my crit and increase my resilience dramatically at the cost of avoidance stats, several thousand health, a little AP and a little block value (I still end up with about 800 SBV without any SBV gear). Unless I know without a doubt I'm not going to get jumped by casters, I'll take PvP gear everytime.

I have trouble killing some healers, too. I have the found the best I can do is stack up five sunders while saving all my interrupts/silences/stuns and rage. I only recently realized that Concussion Blow, like most abilities, needs for the GCD to be up to use, but for some reason it doesn't trigger one. You can literally hit CB and then SS .1 seconds later and they'll both go off - follow that up with a well timed Shield Bash, Shockwave, Heroic Throw, Intimidating Shout, plus whatever else you can dish out can at least make the healer ineffective for 15+ seconds and hurting. Even if I can't kill them I think the trade-off of my team losing a tank for a few seconds so our opponents can lose a healer for the same time it a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kininye View Post
    I have trouble killing some healers, too. I have the found the best I can do is stack up five sunders while saving all my interrupts/silences/stuns and rage. I only recently realized that Concussion Blow, like most abilities, needs for the GCD to be up to use, but for some reason it doesn't trigger one. You can literally hit CB and then SS .1 seconds later and they'll both go off - follow that up with a well timed Shield Bash, Shockwave, Heroic Throw, Intimidating Shout, plus whatever else you can dish out can at least make the healer ineffective for 15+ seconds and hurting. Even if I can't kill them I think the trade-off of my team losing a tank for a few seconds so our opponents can lose a healer for the same time it a good one.

Yeah this is definitely what brings prot out. Even with diminishing returns on our abilities, we can roll them in such a way that someone can be completely impaired of doing anything effectively for 15 seconds or so. Sometimes that can be longer if you get a few lucky procs on revenge stuns. Healers are definitely the bane of a prot warrior's existence. We might be able to lock them up, but without a bit of help or some retarded lucky S&B procs, most healers can get out of it and get a heal off. Resto druids and holy paladins are usually the largest pain in the ass. Those druid HoTs rolling while he runs away constantly make it SUCH a pain trying to kill on my own. Holy pallies are well... paladins... i mean... thats what they do. Consecrate and heal yourself.

Going back to the weapon thing. I feel that a slow weapon has significant advantages over a fast one in alot of setting. BGs and wintergrasp for sure because you arent usually starving for rage and if you are, having bigger weapon hits can make a nice difference. The only time that I wouldnt recommend it is for arena. There are SO many situations where you have a half second to squeeze off a hit on a target and get some rage before you lose him. I have gotten countless killing blows on a target that was nuked and on his last leg and got finished off by my white attack at a 1.5 second speed. Also shaman totems and things of that nature making having your fast weapon more preferable. I would still very much understand anyone using a slow weapon in arena, but i could foresee it gimping yourself often.

Magnuss,

Thank you so much for your advice and information, you have been a great help to me and to many others. Its people like you that make Tankspot a wonderful resource.

I tried my first foray into arenas last night as protection after trying it as fury for quite a while and before that having some minimal success as arms. I can report that prot-pvp is huge fun.

My 2's team ended up going 10-7, and we didn't get "steamrolled" by any team. Quite a few of our losses were due to lack of experience more than anything else. Even the double mage team that we fought, which was almost a sure loss in the past, didn't present too much of a problem for us. One point in imp Spell Reflect was enough to save their focus target (Arms warrior) and the combination of stuns, survivability and pure disruption that I provided was enough to send most classes packing.

I think as we get better at playing with each other and we get some more experience, we will do even better.

Thanks so much for your continued guidance!

I understand the kind of gear you'd use, but what about stance and spells?
    For example, would you PvP in Def stance to use Revenge and do 10% less damage (although this will probably be the best stance in 3.1), or use Battle Stance?

Do you use Shockwave for the great damage or save it for the stun?

Quote Originally Posted by Szentia View Post
    I understand the kind of gear you'd use, but what about stance and spells?
    For example, would you PvP in Def stance to use Revenge and do 10% less damage (although this will probably be the best stance in 3.1), or use Battle Stance?

Do you use Shockwave for the great damage or save it for the stun?
    I'm also enjoying protPVP, I am currently only doing bgs, looking into arenas.

I dont stance dance as i feel my job is to lock down players, try keep them on me and take damage while dps burn them down.

Shockwave is great to throw into your stun rotation. Epesially on a healer. But whenever its up use it, especially when you can get a couple players nice and tightly packed and fire one off. Then a intimidating shout if you see some of them trinketing out of it.

my rotations are pretty much the same for melee and casters bar one or to things: casters i use that while timed heroic throw, shield reflect or shield bash (with gag order of course).
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

prot arena 2's

Hey, love this discussion atm...

My 2's partner is a rogue, in which in 2 days of about 3 hours we hit 1550, which sin't to bad for prot warrior and doing no skirmishes before just throwing ourselves in there.

What my question is, is where to go with my gear.

Currently I have available a 4piece bonus of the t8 gear, which gives 20% less dmg reduction. Where the hell do I go from there? I just can't seem to figure out which pieces i need to replace with pvp gear. I think I read that it's like 120 defense rating to 80 resiliance. However, with going with pvp gear you lose the avoidance and stam usually that the pve gear brings.

The World of Warcraft Armory

this is my armory atm with my little pvp gear i choose. Suggestions, comments? love to figure out what to do with this honor.....

Aterror I have to say I agree with your arena team, Rogues are Overpowered. That being said, they tend to compliment a prot warrior well and if you play it right you could probably pull some very decent ratings in arena.

That being said your gear is a very solid choice. The 4 piece T8 is just so nice to have at your disposal and really can nullify one of your biggest threats as a tank, casters. There are a few recommendations that you MIGHT want to look at. However as you said, these gear pieces make you lose the stats that make you very challenging to kill, so a careful balance is in order.

The furious gladiator boots, which i believe you have the necessary rating to purchase, will net you higher stamina and a very high amount of resil to be able to replace the Sabatons of Endurance you are currently wearing. I would suggest putting one of the 20 Resil gems in there from wintergrasp which will also pick up the resil socket bonus. The reason for this is that it nets out a very high amount of stamina, strength, and then resilience which obviously scales better then defense rating. It could be a very solid piece over your current boots.

Also, the hateful ring isnt a bad idea but the rings that drop from your level of ulduar might be better to stick with. They just have so much stamina and strength on some of them that if you are lucky enough to land one, its probably worth using over the smidgen of resil the other rings give you. If you are going to use a ring, get to 1650 and get the furious one.

Now its pretty obvious to me that the gear you are using is for your tanking so obviously it is enchanted and built for that. If for whatever reason though you want to change some of those enchants then I would recommend resil and stam to shoulders, and a titanium plate for your shield. The reduced disarm duration will be a MUST when you start facing some of those insane geared rogues.

The only other thing i would recommend is a very good PvP trinket over your essence of gossimer. It's usage is just to valuable to not have if you are going to do arena. Goodluck to you.

prot warrior arena w/ rogue pvp

I appreciate your quick responce so much! I have pondered around the web lookig for information about this. To reply though I was told this,

1) not to get the pvp trinket, because the cooldown is the same as my human Every man for himself. But if I shoud just go with it for the resil over the stam, that would work too.

2) More than likely,I am going to back into nax and just get more gear and re socket/enchant it.And get more shield block rating stuff as is.

3) The ring - thanks, I have been thinking about what's better for a long time

4) boots - I have enough to buy it, I just struggled to think what was actually better, so the furious ones are better than the tanking one I got atm? Awesome, ty!

My last question, is I've seem some prot warriors haveing a 2 set in t7 ad a 2 sest t8, mostly for the SS bonus. Use it over my t8 4set? Obviously I would if i can tell what teams we were playing prior lol but we can't soo...

Also, what spec do you use as pvp prot? I'm toggling between a few of them atm

Thanks for your time man,greatly appreciated.

1) I didnt notice you were a human, you are overpowered, so until your racial gets nerfed you might try darkmoon card: Berserker for the 105 crit and 105 resil (35 over 3 procs and it is ALWAYS up). I dont like the essence because the shields really only take a small edge off of a hit that will always be bigger. when dealing with quick fast arena matches, the overall damage reduction probably isnt as important when you could have resil.

4) Sabatons of Endurance - Item - World of Warcraft - what you wear now
    Furious Gladiator's Greaves of Triumph - Item - World of Warcraft - furious glad boots.

higher stamina, and with the socketing i suggested, the single piece can give 80 resil, strength, and crit, which net out to be superior in my opinion to the tank stats on the sabatons.

The T7.5 gear that you would be using in order to get the 10% increase SS damage would probably allow for a slightly higher burts in some situations. However, your gear is significantly better then the T7.5 as a whole and i couldnt possibly justify the loss of the T8 4set in terms of what it does to predicted magic burst in arena. If you want to boost your edge a little bit for shield slams (which is definitely where your burst comes from) then i recommend the meta gem with 5% increase shield block value and make sure you have a glyph of blocking on. Relying too much on 10% damage from 1 ability isnt what is going to win you games. Having strong stats overall and excellent execution is where the difference lies.

My current prot spec options are...

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

The first one is the one i use mainly for prot pvp. the piercing howl and healing from blood craze provide for an anti-kitable, extra hard to kill, tank.

The second one is if i have a partner that will ALWAYS have a slow up on the targets in the arena. It is far too easy to kite us sometimes in between charges so piercing howl is an amazing ability, usable in any stance, that is worth hanging on to.

The point in imp spell reflect is a must, the point in imp disarm is not. If you play in a bracket higher then 3s then put 2 points in imp SR.

yah those boots work well, definatly willl be getting them later today.

And i agree with the whole T7 vs t8 factor, just I saw some warriors that had that gear with 2220 ratings so I instantly gave it some thought but couldn't justify it myself.

As for the trinkets, beserker is a great idea. I only use EoG for the stam, I don't even factor in the shield really.

SO whatit comes down to is..... get a higher rating, replace the rings, replace boots now, and than stick with pve gear...

Sounds good to me! Thanks

+ Reply to Thread