+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Tanking, thoughts and questions.

DK Tanking, thoughts and questions.

Hello, I've been a DK tank for just over a month now, and an avid Tankspot reader since the beginning as this is my first tanking character. Generally great intelligent discussion on this site, so I've finally decided to post.

For starters, this is my current Spec. Apparently the armory doesn't display my Defense stats with Frost Presence on, so I have 28300 Armor, 29363 life, unbuffed.
    That said, my experience thus far is I love tanking with this spec. I MT 10 man OS/Naxx every week (our guild just got rolling on Malygos), and have been MT in 25 man OS/Naxx for about the past 3 weeks.

I read many posts on Tankspot as well as EJ with DKs complaining about threat issues on single targets, especially Unholy DK tanks. I simply find this to be untrue, at least for my situation. Even in 25 man OS/Naxx I generally play with friends from Alpha guilds on our server who out gear me (full t7.5 and equiv), and don't have a problem maintaining a significant threat lead.

My AoE rotation is standard I assume: DnD, IT, PS, BS, Pest, BB, UB, repeat as necessary.

Single Target rotation: IT, PS, BS, BS, SS, SS, reapply diseases. Now, what may help my threat on this is I use Rune Strike whenever I can as long as my diseases are up, but also, I have RS set to a macro with PS and BS so anytime it's up when I use those strikes it automatically casts RS as well.

Although that seems fairly standard from my point of view, I hope it helps. It also leads in to my first question: I am currently using Glyph of Dark Command. Due to the fact I've had to taunt maybe only 20 times since I've started tanking due to threat being a non issue, would it be wise to dump this glyph in favor of something else? Keep in mind I am not currently hit capped. I would replace it with the glyph I've read "Unholy tanks shouldn't leave home without" which is the Bone Shield glyph. However, with the current content being as easy as it is, I honestly don't feel I need further mitigation (also my healers have stated I am extremely easy to heal). Just looking for some thoughts on that.

Second question is kind of tied into what I stated above: With content as is currently, is it worth Gemming/Enchanting for further mitigation than what I have, or should I focus more on Hit/Expertise? This would obviously make my threat generation even better, which is never bad, but also having further mitigation would make the healers jobs even easier.

Along with the above question, from what I have read on Tankspot about Defense since WoTLK is that point for point it is the best mitigation stat (especially for DKs because of IBF) above the 540 uncrittable mark. It was from an excellent post with detailed math, I'm unable to find it currently however =( As I understand it mitigation/life pools should be somewhat balanced, but as of now with the DK tanking sigil I'm constantly at 575 Def. Is this maybe a little overkill, and should I get rid of some +Def gems for some more +Stamina? Or overall, is the higher amount of mitigation better than additional life? I can't seem to find any solid posts about when enough defense is enough and when you should stack some stamina.

I look forward to some great answers! Thanks all for taking the time to read and help me out =)

~Athæist

I have also not had any problem with threat except maybe on Malygos where the DPS gets close. Your Opening rotation for Aoe tanking is wrong, perhaps it was a typo, but it should be DnD-IT-PS-Pest-UB, rince and repeat throwing BB's in there. My single target rotation hits SS before throwing in BS but is pretty much the same besides that.

The three Glyphs I use are IBF, IT and BS. While you may not feel the need for 2 extra charges for mitigation, Bone Shield still gives you the 2% extra damage while it's up and having 2 charges means it will stay up longer. IT glyph can also be switched to DnD or SS or whatever you want. I have it to get more DC's in during the Vortex phase of Maly to maximize my threat and DPS.

There is no way to generalize how to gem. Different tanking sets have different gemming. I have a basic tank set, expertise set, HP set and avoidance set, with key pieces that are gemmed differently. The best thing to do is collect as many pieces as possible that will fill the role you want it for.

Example:
    Pauldrons of Unnatural Death - Item - World of Warcraft is sick for threat. I have it gemmed with 27 expertise.
    Valorous Scourgeborne Pauldrons - Item - World of Warcraft I have two of these, 1 gemmed with 27 dodge, and the other with 41 stamina.

It all comes down to what you want to do with each set and having the means o acquire the gear. Research, research, research.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

1. Once you get to arround 30K Hits unbuffed you can safely gem for whatever you feel you need more (threat/avoidance). I also have different sets of gear for whatever the situation calls for.

2. For Glyphs I use SS, BS, Ghoul/IT depending on if I spec for my ghoul or not. I dont and never will (unless there is a specific boss fight that requires) glyph my taunt or IBF. We have 2 taunts if the first one fails, and I run with a prot pally, so RP is never ever an issue (more of an issue of using it all).

As far as rotations go, if you can manage it, PS then IT as IT will hit harder with BP up. But there are times when you need to get threat on a pull, so its not always good to wait.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

Yes, for my AoE rotation that was a typo, there is no BS included.

I do have a few pieces of gear I swap in and out based on the group I'm with...generally based on the quality of the healers. The better the healers the more threat/dps gear I incorporate.

I used the Dark Command glyph for quite a long time but dropped it when switching from Unholy to Frost and haven't seen a single miss yet, hit capped w/food but 0 points in Virulence.
    As others have said, if possible start set building for trash/bosses. My main set is virtually all expertise gemmed (34 total exp) and I'm still very comfortable with health and avoidance, 40.5k HP, 28.2% dodge, 28.5% parry when buffed,
    It's quite easy to build a 'cover all bases' set if getting other pieces isn't so viable, ie other tanks still needing upgrades.

Try to make the most of each piece you got instead of stacking pure stam or pure avoidance and def is a very good stat so there is no need to replace that with stam atleast not when you are already at 29k unbuffed.

Other then that i would try to improve your set towards ulduar rather then optimising it for naxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Athæist View Post
    I am currently using Glyph of Dark Command. Due to the fact I've had to taunt maybe only 20 times since I've started tanking due to threat being a non issue, would it be wise to dump this glyph in favor of something else?
    Short answer: yes; you got a 2nd taunt if needed (note for Rusty: taunt is physical hit, virulence will do nothing for it and if you are physical hit caped, you dont miss it)

Keep in mind I am not currently hit capped. I would replace it with the glyph I've read "Unholy tanks shouldn't leave home without" which is the Bone Shield glyph. However, with the current content being as easy as it is, I honestly don't feel I need further mitigation (also my healers have stated I am extremely easy to heal). Just looking for some thoughts on that.
    Well even if the content is easy, BS is the main reason to be unholy (the other being AOE threat); missing 2 charges on it is silly imo.

Second question is kind of tied into what I stated above: With content as is currently, is it worth Gemming/Enchanting for further mitigation than what I have, or should I focus more on Hit/Expertise? This would obviously make my threat generation even better, which is never bad, but also having further mitigation would make the healers jobs even easier.
    My first goal was to cap expertise and hit through gems; but then I though that, for the moment I dont have threat problem and I will probably be capped for it before I get any (in fact I am already capped in expertise now).
    So I changed my mind and compared avoidance against stamina. We already got (a lot) more avoidance than any other tanks; going for even more isnt needed imo. And my feeling is that with current bosses, the danger come from big hits/abilities, not overall damage; so having a bigger HP pool is better.
    So I fully gemmed for stam; and I dont regret it. 32K+ unbuffed and still looking for more (I am also blood speced for mostly same reason).

+ Reply to Thread