+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DBM vs. Bigwigs, what do you use and why?

DBM vs. Bigwigs, what do you use and why?

Title says it all. I've been trying to decide which I like better and I've been having a tough time.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Bump for an answer from the brain trust. I have debated this subject in my own mind for a few years. I think the answer we may get is "use what the majority of your raid is using" and they are so customizable you kinda make it your own to fit your play style.

They are pretty equal and thats why they are both still popular. I'm sure we can be told a zillion stories how DBM OR Bigwigs have wiped teh Raid. People tend to QQ alot.

I run both. Bigwigs and DBM sometimes have different bars for different bosses and I show some on one, some on the other. For example important bars will be around my character, not so important ones in the bottom right corner where it's out of the way but I can still see it. A good example of this being Gothik. Bigwigs will show 3 bars for when the Trainees spawn, Deathknights spawn, and Riders spawn whereas DBM only shows "Wave #" and announces what spawns when the bar ends. I prefer to see the waves from Bigwigs and will leave the "In room" bar from DBM.
    Granted I'm the only one I know of that does this, but it works for me. They're both lightweight mods.

The majority of people I know use DBM since Bigwigs wasn't updated for Wrath until like... late December. Even when it first updated for Wrath it only had Naxx. It didn't have Sartharion or Malygos until the second update.

The reason I use BW has more to do with inaccurate timers over a period raiding in Karazhan than anything else. I also prefer BW because of the purity of the design (by features, not presentation of information, I don't want my bossmod to be a chatmod!). I've tried DBM 2 weeks worth of raiding in wotlk and purely subjectivly I felt I got better and more precis infomation with BW.

As far as I know, both gets the job done and I suggest that you do 4 raids with each and after each raid write down what you like and what you didn't like. If that is too much work, just toss a coin or if your raid primariraly use one, go with the flow.

I used Bigwigs for all of BC and only switched to DBM within the last month and a half or so. The primary reason for my switch was that and update of Bigwigs broke the timer on add shield wall for Instructor, but what ended up selling me on DBM was the simple fact that it chimes when your polarity changes on Thaddius. Not having to focus my eyes on my debuffs when Polarity Shift occurs makes the fight just that much more enjoyable.

DBM has a few handy extra features that BigWigs doesn't (health bars for adds on fights like four horsemen, for example). I've also found it to be more accurate in WotLK content.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

DBM, i was a bigwigs user but it doesnt have as many things for fights like Thadius. DBM is awesome for that, and other fights. i have noticed it has stuff for 5 mans aswell.

IF DBM would have a proxy monitor that worked I'd switch. Until then our raid is forced to run BW for KT.

I use DBM since BW was broken at the start of Wrath. I do like the extra features like it automatically yelling at people standing in voids and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadevarr View Post
    IF DBM would have a proxy monitor that worked I'd switch. Until then our raid is forced to run BW for KT.
    I use DBM on KT all the time. The proximity monitor seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    I use DBM on KT all the time. The proximity monitor seems to work fine.
    I've never even seen a DBM proximity monitor, is there something you have to do to turn it on? Separate library to install maybe?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I've never even seen a DBM proximity monitor, is there something you have to do to turn it on? Separate library to install maybe?
    Type /dbm to bring up the options
    Click on the options tab
    In the leftmost box click on the topmost list item. In the box on the right there will be a button for the range indicator.

I use it to yell at melee that get too close to me in that fight.

I used Bigwigs, I just preferred the bars etc to dbm, it also used less resources (at least for me). Do you know if there is a way to get either of the addons to display bars for the pre LK bosses? They make solo-ing stuff so much easier :/ I cannot find relevant plugins on curse/wowinterface, although perhaps I am blind.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Type /dbm to bring up the options
    Click on the options tab
    In the leftmost box click on the topmost list item. In the box on the right there will be a button for the range indicator.

I use it to yell at melee that get too close to me in that fight.
    This, and also /distance will bring up the DBM range box. I think the default range is 10, but it is adjustable. FYI: I only found this after the first week of raiding with it instead of BW and if I hadn't found it I would've probably had to go back to BW even though I really like some of the DBM features (like the add bars on Thaddius). After finding the range box I'm DBM 4 Life.

I used DBM from Kara all the way through to Naxx and still prefer it except for one thing, support for old raids.
    BigWigs modules make it far better for old content - there are modules for all the old content that still function. DBM is only good for current content.

Pyrea - go to wowace - the old modules are still hosted there
    There are no men like me, there is only me.

Well, for a long time I used BigWigs because of LittleWigs for 5-man instances.

These days I use DBM exclusively, it's got most of what I want in a dummy light mod for encounter warnings.

I've used both but in WOTLK the timers for DBM seem to be more spot on, and as lore mentioned the health bars for Feugen/Stalagg and 4H are pretty useful.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Just tried DMB out last night for the first time. Took a bit to get used to the settings, but I did like what I saw afterwards.

I do have a few major complaints about it. It's not as customizable as I want it to be. I can't pull up the colour picker to add tones to colours to match my UI so I'm stuck with bright in your face bars. I also couldn't find any option to change the scaling of the Boss health bar, which sucks because they're quite tiny on my scaled UI.

Other than that, both BW and DMB are great addons. I think I might stay with DBM however.

I used Bigwigs back when I was predominantly using ace mods due to wowaceupdater. Switched to DBM when it broke during 3.0 / Wrath. I much preferred bigwigs when it was accurate and working.

Pretty much the same for me as alot of other people have posted. I started out using BW, I also liked the LW feature when I was running alot more 5-mans. But DBM has some nice features people have already mentioned like the 4H health bars and the timers and warnings are really useful. I doubt I would ever go back to BW now.

+ Reply to Thread