+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for more ideas / Suggestions

Paladin - Gear Tweaks / Suggestions please.

Ok, so here's the thing. I'm a prot pally, and our guild is currently farming Naxx25, and Maly- working 3D Sarth. What I'm looking to do, is work on some side-grades for alternative gear sets. Right now, I'm actually a bit new to the whole tanking thing, so naturally I'm doing lots of reading. I wanted to get some some real opinions on known-good tanking setups to make myself completely ready for 3.1, and even have people critique my current setup.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Wrathykins

Right now, I'm trying to set myself up to be a trash/off-tank, and also be flexible enough to main if need be. I've set my gear up to soak at this point, trying to max my HP far as it could go. I don't currently have threat or survivability issues.

Things I'm aware of:
    I'm cheating using PvP enchants on my Head / Shoulder slots (Stam + Crit-cap)
    My weapon enchant is semi-redundant considering my spec.
    My hit rating needs some work.
    My chest enchant isn't normally used, but I have this thing about rounder numbers...

Raid Consumables:
    Flask of Stoneblood - Item - World of Warcraft
    Blackened Dragonfin - Item - World of Warcraft

What I'm looking for:
    Ideas as to where I should start with an alternative gear set, and even improve my current. There are so many theories floating around, I'm not really sure where to begin.

I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

-Drek
    Last edited by Drekna; 02-17-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Adding Consumable Info

Well step one would be to be def capped. I see you're at 529...gotta get to at least 540 for raid tanking.
    Also for higher level content hp isn't everthing. 33k hp and not a single block/dodge/parry at 20%. Might want to get those up a lil higher, even if that means sacrificing some HP. I'm currently at 27k HP and I do just fine.

Crit cap already taken into account with my head / shoulder enchants, but thanks. As I mentioned above, this is my soak set, so yeah my avoidance stats tend to hover around ~20% across the board raid-buffed.

when you say soak, do you mean melee soak or caster/breath soak? As a high end OT, I'd expect more block as you'll have multiple mobs at lower per hit values and block (rating and value) will scale better than stam for that type of fight. Right now you're setup as more of a hateful strike style of soak tank. Both are good setups, just different fights.

Here's a best in slot guide for jewelcrafter/enchanter tanks:
    Maintankadin :: View topic - Ratanna's Best-in-Slot WotLK Guide.

You're basically half way to best in slot (the right half of your screen as it turns out). The block libram from emblems of heroism is better if you're not having threat problems.

Having said that there's no 'right' gear set. Basically at your level, avoidance scales better than stamina in almost all fights. Your big gap there is gems/enchants where most would pick up more avoidance, but at the cost of stamina which is your goal with this particular setup.

Have you seen any of the block cap gear guides? Happy to repost if you haven't found one that suits.

Thanks a lot for the info- The guide more or less outlined my wish list as it stands today. I just have bad luck with drops it seems. haha Great to know I'm on the right track at least.

As for my gear choice, my main goal was to more or less stack myself to where I could take all the damage a fight could dish out and still survive. I wanted to not rely on avoidance at all, and be able to eat hits, and let Dodge/Parry be like Icing on the cake. It's a bit harder on healer mana, but I have a lot of faith in our core healers. The main reason I'm looking to tweak things up and change, is the possible oom problems I'll run into with a gear setup like this during 3.1 with the incoming mana regen changes.

chardev.org - a World of Warcraft Character Planner - x

That's my avoidance set I've been building. Trying to get one set of gear per type of fight. Should I scrap that and just move toward my theoretical best in-slot?

I don't really have anyone to toss ideas around with. I mean, talking to yourself is kinda ok, but starting an argument? Yeah, I'm not going there quite yet.

Far as the block cap guides go, is that still necessary with crush out of the game? Truth be told, I skipped over the idea completely when I learned that. Should I take it into consideration when planning future upgrades?
    Last edited by Drekna; 02-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Keep in mind that with 3.1 divine plea will restore 50% of mana rather than 25% so we may not see net mana issues with the patch.

I would say that block cap is worth it, though is less of a must have than it was in the era of crushing blows. Its particularly useful to OT's, though doesn't mean its useless for MT's. Basically miss+dodge+parry+block=102.4% is the magic forumula still. If you're 20% across the board d/p/b buffed then you're probably at around 100% and eeking out the last 2 shouldn't be hard, particularly since you haven't really hit much diminishing returns on dodge yet.

Well, I suspect some folks around here might be willing to argue with you, just depends on how you position the arguement. 'Bear's suck and pallys are the new best stam tanks' would probably be an attention grabbing title.....

Anway, if you're a math type here, the breakdown on stam vs avoidance given battle styles by Hypatia:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...y-results.html

BTW, The planner didn't load so can't comment on the avoidance set.

+ Reply to Thread