Thread: sarth+3 no dk or druid?

sarth+3 no dk or druid?

Well my guild is starting to get up to the point that we're going to be starting on sarth +3 shortly, my question is, is a deathknight tank or druid tank absolutely mandatory? Is it possible to get it done without one? Our guild currently has a plethora of warriors, and a pally. We've started to have one of our deathknights get some tanking gear, but if there was a way to get around it, i'd prefer doing it that way.

It is still definitely possible without the DK or druid. You just have to adjust you raid to work with it. The project marmot guides, specifically Ciderhelm's Sarth+3 will show you some techniques that can be used to help make it work. People like the DKs because they can use their own cooldown in succession first, and therefore not have to rely on other raid members for the first few breaths. They like druids because those melee swings really do a number on the tank, and having the avoidance/mitigation helps with healing.

By no means are they required, i have tanked sarth in all the positions with my guilds before.

Here are some of the movie links that might help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRb7qV07ikU]YouTube - TankSpot's Guide to Sartharion 3 Drakes[/ame] -ciderhelm
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJ4hhL9DU0]YouTube - TankSpot's Guide to Sartharion 3 Drakes (Alternate Strategy)[/ame] -lore

Also if you search around in this same forum you can find some very handy information posted by some of the Tankspot users who lay out all the abilities that you see during the fight. Understanding those is one of the most important things you can do.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

I get the "we're sorry, this video is no longer available" error when i try to go to any of the project marmot guides :/

just click the video itself, should take you to the actual youtube page and you can view it there
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Negative - Cider removed the post (see the front page) because they greatly increased the distance that Sarth's breath will hit, so the strat is pretty much not valid after 3.0.9.

Many posts about this now, killed 3-drake for a month now and never used a DK or druid to tank, they are better to dps. Still people can't let go of saying DK is required.

I tank Sartharion in a special gear set with almost 34000 unbuffed. Works just fine.
    Can we please bust this myth that DKs are somehow required All tanks are able to
    everything. Comes down to skill and experience and 4 years as warrior tank is a lot compared to a DK with 2 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghladum View Post
    Negative - Cider removed the post (see the front page) because they greatly increased the distance that Sarth's breath will hit, so the strat is pretty much not valid after 3.0.9.
    The post was made before he took it down

Use a voidwalker. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sevve View Post
    Use a voidwalker. Seriously.
    Ditto.

IF you cant get one of those 2 classes, then go with a VW tank. With proper gear + spec, the VW is a monster tank for this. Although, tanking sarth is the easiest part of the fight IMO other than CDs. The real question is do you have the DPS and healing + raiders that cant "not get hit by that"
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

This week our Sarth tank will be out of action. I would like to know how any warrior has successfully tanked him. This "special gear set" what does it involve? Is your survivability based on other classes helping out? what are those?

I really only have a T 7.5 set gemmed with some expertise/strength and other wierd shit.

When tanking Sartharion in 3drake fight forget about threat, you have so much time alone that it doesn't matter at all. Gem everything for stamina. I have alternate gear gemed and enchanted for max stamina. Just pick up another shield and put another enchant on it and so on.

I swapped to Jewelcrafting for the trinket and gems. JC Gems mean I can maintain meta-gem without having to use red gems.

From all drops currently available I only miss out on belt from Maexxna. Swap talents to get the buffed commanding shout (adds about 600hp). With all buffs and everything I got to 43500 something. I know it's still less than a druid but it's enough.

For the maxed breaths (after Vesperon Acolyte spawn until Shadron dies) you use Shield Wall, then call for a priests Guardian Spirit and then a paladins Hand of Sacrifice. If dps can't drop Shadron in time for the 4th buffed breath, you are in trouble though unless you got more available cooldowns.

Also use a Nightmare seed (from TBC) to create just a little bit more buffer during the time Shadron Acolyte until Vesperon Acolyte spawn. Not needed but removes the RNG high breath insta gibs.