+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Little Help Understanding Extra Sets?

A Little Help Understanding Extra Sets?

Spare sets and situational sets are two things that I've been having trouble wrapping my head around. I understand the value of having a set that grants extra health and a set that grants extra avoidance but it's really the application and building of these sets that has me stumped.

As a Prot Warrior I assume I should probably have an all purpose set (relatively high EH and Avoidance with pretty sound hit&expertise), an EH set that forgoes the hit & expertise for high health and a trash set that forgoes some health in exchange for slightly higher Block, hit & expertise - but is that right?

I see terms like Trash Set, Boss Set, Avoidance Set and EH set tossed around a lot but I'm missing a piece of the puzzle to make the leap into fully understanding what this means.

Could someone provide some examples of what kind of spare sets are recommended and what stats to stack in those sets?

P.S. I put this in theory only because it's more gear theory than gear ranking - what piece to get isn't as important to me as developing an understanding of what to look for in each piece and how to balance it across a set.

As more of a casual player and the Occasional MT for vault and OS it more or less goes like this for me. EH maxed for first few pulls in an heroic then testing healer and dps if they seem okay I go purely to maximizing my dps and staying at 535 or now im mixing in some resilience pvp gear to stay uncrittable. For long boss fights I i.e. Sarth as MT with shitty dps I'll put on as much avoidance gear as I can to ease the stress on the healers. As you actually gear up in tlk the need for different sets is more or less a dps set for heroics and a raid set maxxing avoidance and EH. Pre BC and BC were the days when different sets were actually needed.....or perceived to be needed to give tanks something to work on when not flying mindlessly around shatt inciting the trade channel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Different Sets

There are usually a few different sets that warriors, and its not like other classes where there is a clear best in slot for every piece.

Blocking Set- Is used for fast hitting bosses that hit soft. Basically the softer a boss hits, the bigger percentage of the damage blocked is. So you stack both block value and rating on these bosses. Not many bosses fall in this category

Stam Set- Fights that have a large amount of heavy hitting magical damage. Reason for high stam is avoidance does no good against a dragons breath... you simply have to have the health to overcome it.

Threat Set/DPS- High Expertise (40+) and Hit Capped. For threat sensitive fights and where ever bit of DPS counts.

EH/Avoidance- Used for progression when surviving is all that counts.

You will see alot of tanks myself included sitting in a Threat/DPS set, just because the content is extremely simple.

Personally I sit in 42 Expertise and Hit capped for all fights except a couple. And I have fun pulling 3k+ DPS.

Get closet gnome or some other gear switching addon and start building each set. Eventually you will have almost two for every slot, and depending on fights switch them around.

Although to be honest, right now, the content is so easy its not as big a deal.

I had this trouble too. In the beginning its hard to know what to use, so I did this...

Back in SSC I started to create 1 set for each fight. I'd create in my itemrack 1 entry for each boss and setup the gear. Week after week I took time to tune the set after every fight, if I needed more HP, more avoidance, if my threat was bad... In time, all sets were good, and I noticed a pattern. There were HP fights, there were avoidance fights, and there were threat fights. And of course 5-mans. And PvP, and Fury, and prot-DPS, etc...

Like I said BC was the real need for different sets....Build your one Tank all set and one set for Heroics(maximizing dps for threat to allow dps to not have to hold back)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

People tend to forget we've just opened the door to WLK and stepped into the foyer at this point. You didn't really need multiple gear sets for Karazhan, either. Understanding what drives the different sets of gear will serve you well as the content comes and gets harder.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Understanding what drives the different sets of gear will serve you well as the content comes and gets harder.
    Yeah, this is ultimately what I'm interested in - learning how to fish not being given fish.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

+ Reply to Thread