+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficulty staying at 540?

Difficulty staying at 540?

Im just trying to find out if everyone runs into this problem or if its just me. Whenever I get a new piece for my tanking set, I gem it and I enchant it, but as soon as I replace its a drastic drop in defense. Its kind of frustrating. I would like to say that my gear is good to above average maybe, but I would appreciate any suggestions or criticism as to why Im having this problem.

Im not sure if its updated yet but here is my armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

We all get it. It's just an added feature of being a tank, I'm afraid.

Best way around this is to make sure you have some defense 'in hand', by having enough gear to not need to be fully gemmed and enchanted to 540, so when you get an upgrade with lower defense you can regem slightly to compensate.

This is a problem for me as a deathknight also i'm afraid. I'm full epic (3/5 T7 2/5 T7.5, rest of the gear is from naxx 10 or 25 also) however I'm floating around the 540-544 mark all the time and getting new gear sometimes lowers it to 539 or something.

In blue gear I was able to attain 540 defence and enchant the rune +4% enchant on my 2h... now I HAVE to enchant rune of the stoneskin gargoyle.

Unless I equip 2x High def rating trinkets. It's hard staying at 540 even when improving gear.

idk...it was a little trickey when goin from heroic gear to naxx/sarth/tier gear. but now, i can take off up to 84 def rating and still be uncrittable. so i gots lots of room to play with. theres a low point youll hit, then itll only go up from there.

I ran into this problem when I got my heroic leggings from naxx and it replaced my heroic VH ones and put my at 537 and had to regem =/

It's a real pain in the ass.

I don't know where you people get your gear from, I have a hard time getting down to 540. It's good to save all gear you get, unless it's clearly inferior in every aspect to other gear you have. This way you can mix and match different items to find a combo that suits you well.

I would highly recommend getting a set of tempered saronite gear, and tossing it in the bank. It typically has a higher defense stat than most equivalent ilevel gear (and most ilevel 200 blues as well). Whenever you "upgrade" a current piece of gear, grab a piece of the tempered saronite to make up the difference in points.

The other advice is, since you're just upgrading to heroic drops, you can effectively lower your total defense to 535 to remain uncrittable there. If you walk into Naxx10, Vault, Obsidian Sanctum, etc, you'll need 540 again, BUT for heroics 535 is all you need.

Edit: I see that I'm wrong and you're running (or have run) Naxx or VoA at least once (your legs). You also have a high dodge and block. Your itemization points seem to be in those places atm. Might wanna do some research for gear replacements that lower those stats, and raise defense instead.
    Last edited by Volador; 02-20-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Well every tank in the game is having the same problem, i always carry around a couple of shields and rings to make sure i maintain my 540 defense when i find new gear, its just that right now higher lvl gear has less defense to balance with higher avoidance stats

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    I don't know where you people get your gear from,
    10-man raids, mostly. Going from heroics to raids (and esp blues to purps) for some reason has a fairly noticable drop in defense, favoring other stats instead. I've been hovering around 540 constantly, and everytime I get a new piece of gear, it seems like I drop again.

Daunting Handguards - Item - World of Warcraft --> Heroes' Dreadnaught Handguards - Item - World of Warcraft (less noticable, but still a drop from the Horn-Tipped Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft you're wearing to go to Valorous Dreadnaught Handguards - Item - World of Warcraft)
    Bolstered Legplates - Item - World of Warcraft --> Heroes' Dreadnaught Legguards - Item - World of Warcraft or Legplates of Inescapable Death - Item - World of Warcraft (not as bad if you can get a hold of Dragon Brood Legguards - Item - World of Warcraft at least...)
    Sabatons of Draconic Vigor - Item - World of Warcraft --> Plague-Impervious Boots - Item - World of Warcraft or Kyzoc's Ground Stompers - Item - World of Warcraft

...as a few quick examples.

Best advice I can offer -- get and carry Seal of the Pantheon from normal Loken (or repelling charge from Thaddius if you get it). It makes one helluva stop-gap til you can regem/enchant.
    I'm a tank. I like the beatings.

get and carry Seal of the Pantheon from normal Loken (or repelling charge from Thaddius if you get it).
    great advice and makes one hell of a difference...

just some input from me. you seem to be doing all you can to get those gem bonuses. dont be so scared to put a defense gem in if it means you loose the bonus but get your defense back up to 540.. do it

+ Reply to Thread