+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evasion vs. Sta

Evasion vs. Sta

I've been seeing alot of people stacking stamina, which I don't want to do because I love having a ton of evasion, but with 65% evasion as a prot warrior, are deminishing returns going to kill me? I only have 26.8k hp, but 65% evasion give or take. Is it time for me to start going after a little more hp than evasion stats?

The World of Warcraft Armory

IMO you need more hit. It's hard to say what you need to do, because some tanks have certain situations that may cause them to gem a certain way. In TBC Stam was the only stat that mattered most of the time, but those days are pretty much gone now. Some tanks don't want to let that go. Some tanks want things to go back to the "old days" when everything was a pain in the ass, and you had to stance dance just to thunderclap. I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of your character. Where do your weaknesses seem to be? Is it threat generation? Are you not pulling as much dps as you'd like? Are healers finding you are taking too much damage? Is your health pool too small to heal effectively? Do you have too much rage? Too little rage? Gem as needed, and if none of those above are issues then gem for dps, because you're obviously outgearing whatever content you are doing. That being said I can't imagine you are finding yourself popping shield wall twice in many encounters, so those are possibly wasted points in your spec, and I wonder about you possibly having "too much rage" in a boss fight. Maybe you don't have that problem, but it seems like (assuming you are spamming Hstrike) the 3 points in cheaper devastates would be better spent in cheaper heroic strikes. That would actually probably give you more rage, and you wouldn't even need the two points in imp bloodrage. Those would be better spent on perhaps crit or something else. Like I said though, I don't really know the situations of the tanks who do stuff differently from me. I just try to find my weaknesses and lessen them.

I do use heroic strike, but not as much as some abilities such as devastate for example, because of my slow wep. Seeing as though I regularly off-tank in 25man naxx and have yet to step into 25man malygos (only 10man which is easy) I don't notice myself getting hit very hard. I was more wondering on whether or not having too much evasion was a bad thing due to diminishing returns.

it's only a bad thing if you are getting rage starved, or can't generate enough threat/dps to stay competitive. If you're worried about the DRs on avoidance throw some more into expertise, there was a nifty thread a while back showing expertise gives competitive damage reduction to dodge plus increased threat. This is because of the parry hasting mechanic, and the more expertise you have the less the boss parries and the less he gets his haste buff. I guess the trick is to be well rounded, you want high hp, high threat, and high avoidance. The trick is finding the happy median I guess, or you could just collect more gear and makes different sets for different fights, which takes up a lot more bag space but will result in better tanking in theory. It's expensive though.

My offtank in the guild continues to talk to me about his "Evasion Cap". He is a protection Paladin. I am a Protection Warrior. He has had me scrounging around the WWW looking for this mythical "Evasion Cap", which I haven't found yet. I was wondering if you someone would comment on this for Protection Warriors. Maybe it exists for Protection Pallis, but not warriors? Just curious. I'm not sure about my "Evasion Cap", all I know is I haven't found anything I can't tank to date. I just focused on getting my defense and stamina to "Acceptable" levels, and have done some dodge stacking, but I'm more concerned with Expertise and Hit rating (damn those parries).

Just thought I would ask about this "Evasion Cap" Any comments would be great.

This "evasion cap" is probably a total percentage, which is something I should look into, because if you have your dodge and parry too high, there are deminishing returns. I'm not sure how this works with evasion tbh, but id say something around 20% for each evasion stat would be sufficient.

+ Reply to Thread