+ Reply to Thread

Thread: opinions wanted for frost tank spec!

opinions wanted for frost tank spec!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=00550015031002100000000000032505051005300103012031 00300005000000000000000000000000000

I've been wanting some of bloods health boosting, but I don't feel secure in the AoE department when tanking with blood, so I throw this together. it doesn't have tundra stalker, but I think dark conviction should make up for that.
    note: Early build had frost strike/1 point in acclimation, I moved the two to veteran of the third war, I think those 2 points are 'up in the air' for where to put them. build is modeled on 3.1 change to blood of north becoming 3/3 allowing for full black ice.

Any thoughts/similar builds?

Mark of blood is kinda crappy, if you are going into blood take 3/3 VotTW.

No annihilation mean you are using HB as your main move I guess?

But if you are planning for the next update (3.1) then you may try a blood spec including Unholy Blight (who will be at Summon gargoyle position); if it go live like this. It should resolve the bad AOE threat for blood (the single threat need testing though).

Spec into KM, all the way. Use howling blast.

Howling Blast is my main attack. I don't see a point in obliterate to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by NexsusTheFrostDeathKnight View Post
    Howling Blast is my main attack. I don't see a point in obliterate to be honest.
    HB is silly to use on single targets, OB is the same if not better damage if you spec and glyph right and has no cooldown

I'm currently tanking with a 23/41/7 build

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator

And Enjoying it very much so. Unbuffed i'm sat on 33.2k hp which gets me raid buffed to over 42k. I don't have any problems with threat (as I thought I may) even on AoE trash.

I like Frost strike for Single Target threat, contemplating moving points from Spell Deflection into Rune Tap+ but not so sure at the moment. Seeing how things go at the moment

Last edited by Shadet; 02-16-2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Silly colouring :/

Quote Originally Posted by Shadet View Post
    I'm currently tanking with a 23/41/7 build

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator

And Enjoying it very much so. Unbuffed i'm sat on 33.2k hp which gets me raid buffed to over 42k. I don't have any problems with threat (as I thought I may) even on AoE trash.

I like Frost strike for Single Target threat, contemplating moving points from Spell Deflection into Rune Tap+ but not so sure at the moment. Seeing how things go at the moment

Thanks for the input. I might take 1 point from gorefiend and get fros strike foe the single target.

Quote Originally Posted by harliequinn View Post
    HB is silly to use on single targets, OB is the same if not better damage if you spec and glyph right and has no cooldown
    Both got their pro and con imo. OB is better than HB (for single target threat) IF you have all the talents for it (i.e. annihilation, Rime, subversion), the sigil and the glyph. HB is much cheaper, you can save up to 6 talents points (the 9 above - the 3 from virulence who are required for an HB build imo), a sigil and a glyph for a little less damage. However the CD on HB make it tricky to use.

If you spec/glyph into it OB is just fine, HB is not pointless and not left behind on single target threat and you can glyph differently and get other values out of your moves/spec and use HB just fine.

Mark of Blood is ANYTHING but weak. It can actually turn into a significant buff to survival when you use it well and often.

This is a general spec (specifics always vary) that I've played with a long time ago, and many have tried before. Some like it and some don't but the strengths and weaknesses are clear. The spec (and I'd finish Vet of the 3rd War by the way) is strong on fundamental survival stats, it boosts your avoidance and health in very pleasant ways, and you'll feel pretty hardy for it. The place where it is weak is that you give up a lot of the threat factors from the different trees to get this split. It doesn't sport the full hurty frosty goodness of the Frost Tree, and it doesn't sport the stinging HS spam that Blood can offer. You'll have to work hard to keep up on threat at higher levels of the endgame (like once your dps section is well-geared and pushing 4k+ dps values), though it seems to work just fine for heroics and starting raids.

I'm a big fan of doing things your own way and finding what works best for you, though I highly recommend playing to the theme of a single tree, there are few and special builds that can work as well as sticking to one of the central 3 themes.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I've been playing around with this, which is pretty similar. It keeps a lot of the same survivability talents and goes for a little more of the frosty threat.

I've generally found Spell Deflection to be a bit lackluster; when I specced out of it, I didn't even really notice it was gone.

Napkin math; even if you have a 30% chance to parry with Blade Barrier up, that's three talent points for a 30% chance to decrease spell damage by 30%. That's a really unreliable 9% overall spell damage reduction. If they made it decrease spell damage by a flat 30% of your parry chance, or buffed the effect to include aoe damage, I might be more inclined to take it.

The loss of the 9% crit on Oblit from Subversion is somewhat mitigated by the 5% crit from dark conviction, and I keep a couple points of GoG to boost up my KM procs.

I'm addicted to Glyphed Rune tap. If you haven't played around with it, give it a go, it's super fun.

I found that with most frost rotations I don't need epidemic. In fact, although it does give me some leeway, I find when I do have it I tend to try to cram a 3x oblit in there and mess myself up. Keeping the diseases short forces me to stick to my rotation.

Also, Merciless Combat is necessary filler, but chosen over Icy Reach due to the fact that I'm usually OT'ing, as prot warriors generally don't dps quite as well as even tank DK's with just a gear swap

Am I "gimping" Myself by not using obliterate? Like I said I haven't used it at all really. and the threat I get from HB alone in heroics is enough for me to hold will dps goes crazy.
    I think I should try blood again with the changes. I find it difficult to get used to, but I remember early leveling bloodboil spam.

Am I "gimping" Myself by not using obliterate?
    Nope, both Satorri and I said it: HB is fine, as long as you manage the 5sec CD (i.e. get a rotation that allow you to use it as often as possible).
    But imo, you should really try to get virulence with a HB spec. You can take the 2 points from epidemic to put it into; as Eemo said, you dont need epidemic in most frost rotation.

Big, big thank you!

- removed -
    posted in the wrong thread
    Last edited by jaydee; 02-17-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Am I "gimping" Myself by not using obliterate?
    Yes if you're using HB for single target.

OB > HB for single target, esp. with the glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Genkk View Post
    Yes if you're using HB for single target.

OB > HB for single target, esp. with the glyph.
    I don't I am currently 51 frost and I use rune/frost strike for single target, and just to spread it out I occasionally tab-target HB and proceed to frost/rune strike them

+ Reply to Thread