+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help from Guild tanks and leaders alike.

Need help from Guild tanks and leaders alike.

The situation is that I've been a tank for as long as I can remember, leveled as arms but didn't enjoy it very much then went prot at 60, leveled as prot up to 70 and stayed there(just so you get a general idea).

Well recently I've specced Fury and leveled as such, liked it and it was fun...for a while, but loe and behold the old tanking feeling and urge came rushing back like a tsunami when I saw another tank do their thing in VH heroic, and it reminded me how extremly fun it would be to tank again, I don't know if you've been here before but if you have then you know the feeling.

There the idea of speccing back to tank spurred, I started collecting gear getting enchants etc etc, my guild kept telling me to go for it, but then other tanks started joining and now there is almost an abundance of tanks in the guild, I'm not saying that I'm the man when it comes to tanking but I hold my own, neither am i saying that they're bad, they're actually very good, so the thing I wanted to ask you was what would you do in my spot?, cause lord knows I'm confused
    On the one hand I really want to tank and the only thing I'm looking forward to doing in the game. But on the other hand I don't want to leave the guild (that isn't a hardcore guild mind you) because I love those people and we get along real nice, and I do want the guild to progress to the best they can because I've tryed my best to help the gm make it what it is today (not taking full credit) which means that staying dps is the best for them.

SO the choice stands between:

1. Go tank (something I want) and possibly not do much at all since there already are good tanks.

2.Stay Fury and help the guild but not really enjoy it to it's fullest extent.

Here it seems like I loose either way, either I specc to what I want and do nothing, or stay what I don't want and do something.

I've taken the future Dualspecc in consideration but that would just end with me being Fury most of the time and only speccing tank when i'm needed (which won't be often).

I'm sorry for the long text but thank you in advance for any and all answers.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong room, I tried posting it in the right one but if it's wrong then by all means move it to it's rightful place.

late night reply: well personally, and since this is tankspot, I can say honestly if I'm not tanking most of the time, I dont want to play. Good luck to you!

It honestly depends where your priorities lie.

I was in pretty much the exact same position and for me it came down to if I wanted to spend time with people I like, who I fit in with well - or try my luck and try and find a good guild who needed tanks (very very few and far between on my server).

I chose to go fury and to be honest haven't regretted it - I still regularly tank in our 10 man runs (as fury spec in prot gear, see my user title ) and when the other tanks can't make our 25 mans I respec and step in. I get first dibs on tank gear our main tanks don't need and to be honest that's enough for me.

How do your guild mates feel about it? You mentioned that they've told you to go for it, but seems like you hestitated. Which would explain the surge in tanks. They didn't see you changing based on reccomendations and your desire to tank again (which I assume you mentioned to them), so they decided to recruit thinking you made the determination to stay Fury unless really needed.

I would suggest initially, talk it over amongst your peers and gauge their opinions. If that doesnt land a solution, maybe make it a challenge among the other tanks. Take some time to build the gear you need, then set out to see whos better. Try to tank as many raids as you can, do lots of heroics, relearn your rotations, the fights, and everything. Record it all with WWS. Then, let the numbers determine how valuable you'd be as a tank in comparison.

I have to say though, if it's tanking that you really want to do, then you shouldn't let the notion of some other dudes coming into the picture throw you off. There's nothing worse than not doing something that makes you happy. If you're forced to leave just so you have the oppurtunity, so be it. If they're as good of friends as you believe, they'll either make room to keep you or will understand your decision.

I talked it out with my Guild Leader and I told him that the only choice I have to to try my best to beat them and outshine them and prove that I deserve that spot, being the good friend that he is and supportive that he is he said that it's true we have alot of tanks in the guild and;

"Go for it if that's what you want, I don't want you to leave cause you're unhappy, after all it's YOU that's paying for the game and not someone else"

so I've made my choice thanks to your wonderful and open feedback and what he told me, sincerly THANK YOU.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a crash course in this infamous WWS and what it really is or maybe a link as to where I could read it.

[Edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    How do your guild mates feel about it? You mentioned that they've told you to go for it, but seems like you hestitated. Which would explain the surge in tanks. They didn't see you changing based on reccomendations and your desire to tank again (which I assume you mentioned to them), so they decided to recruit thinking you made the determination to stay Fury unless really needed.
    I never thought about it that way but reading it now in a different perspecive I think you're on to something, that's at least how I would react if the tables had turned, guess it is my own fault to a certain extent, well it's time to correct that error says I!

Hope my writing isn't confusing, I'm trying my best to keep it correct.

I'm not sure on how to use WWS, but you're welcome on the other advise. Best of luck to ya, let us know how it goes for ya.

I would do what is best for my guild. More specifically: Have your gear and awesome attitude ready to tank, and DPS the heck out of everything that gets in your way in the meantime.

A suggestion that's been made before due to the low required number of tanks per raid would be simply to suggest a rotation for all tanks that whomever is not the tank for the week will re-spec dps to continue to help the guild progress. To be perfectly honest bud I'm running into the same issues in my guild, but it's not due to hesitation it's due to an influx of tanks that we never would've imagined. I think you've taken the best approach in talking things over with your guildleader and keeping him involved in your decision process. Keep at it, and work towards a solution you are comfortable with.

Just my two cents.

A tank rotation should be in order. Also with dual specs on the horizen that could be the very answer to your problem.

as for wws its fairly simple//when raid start enter:/combatlog and do the same aat the end of the raid. Go to wowwebstats.com upload and pour through the data

Have a tank/dps rotation. Im sure the current tanks would like to dps, just share the role.
    I rotate with other people in my guild, my spec varies all the time, its made me a better player and helped out seeing different aspects of fights as holy, prot and ret.

My advice is to speak with guild leadership and I'm not talking say one word about "I wish I could tank." in guild chat and then never mention it again until three months down the track when your guild recruits another tank and then explode with "I said I wanted to tank!" drama (I hate when people do this sort of thing hence why I mention it). I'm talking about getting the guild officers into a vent channel, talking to them about your situation and making sure they understand that you want to tank but do not want to hamper the guild in any way.

Personally if you were in my guild and you were DPS and wanted to go tank I'd say tough but my guild has an application process where people apply as a certain role and its outlined before they join that we very rarely allow people to change roles or mains.

However if someone in your tanking team is not pulling their weight (poor attendance, poor attitude, poor performance etc) then I'd say you should at least be allowed to trial for the position, however this all depends on how your guild is run.

Also I would speak with the other tanks and see if any of them wish to swap roles. Bear in mind that your guilds leadership needs to be informed of whats going on and is OK with all of it. If your officers are any good they will probably be fine with whatever you try and do so long as you don't hamper the guild in anyway or cause any drama.

response

Listen to me...only one thing matters and that is to HAVE FUN! If tanking is ur thing then tank. I read these reponses and it reminds me so much of why certain guilds suck. Rules? Are you kidding me? Rotations seem like a good idea but maybe you are like me. If im not tanking, im not playing. I absolutely do not want to DPS. Everyone who is truely my friend know this. I dont think you should bail on your guild or your friends. Find others outside the guild who will be more than happy to have a tank around. Trust me.

Bung

I'd also go for tanking as Bung mentions above!
    If I don't tank I dont like playing, so hence I need to tank.
    I dont have time to play so much as others but still I want to tank. So often I ask in chat to run heroics etc. If I start that specific hc group then I also tank it and join other groups when needed. Often enough I also get asked to PUGs but thats a special thing to do though and you migh get disappointed so make sure you know there loot rules
    Anyhow, play tank and play the game you want. Your the one paying for it.

+ Reply to Thread