+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problems handling elite mobs solo

Problems handling elite mobs solo

Hi all,

Ive begun to worry a little bit because what I thought was very likely a good spec for a full protection tank warrior is letting my down.

Recently and to try and see if my gear level and spec would handle normal instances such as Violet Hold and above, I decided to try and tackle a level 74 elite mob and see how things went.

Im at level 78 so theoretically I should have been able to kill it without many problems. This was not to be however.

So since I got my head handed back to me in a silver plate, Im positive Im doing something very wrong.

Below is my armory link, although its also accessible from my profile here.

Could those wiser in the mechanics and gearing point out what my mistakes are?

Armory link: Glaive

Thanks

it really depends on which level 74 mob you were fighting. Remember there are level 80 elites that have less then 20k hitpoints and eaily soloable for any level 80. My warrior ahs even solo'd elite mobs with 110k + hit points and been fine. However I have died to level 73 elites in contrast. may not be that you are doing anythig wrong. You might have just picked a fight with the wrong mob

Not all elites are built equally - which one was it? If you actually went in to VH, then I'm not surprised- I think I'd have trouble in there as a decently geared lvl 80 warrior.

Your gear looks fine for your level - defense could be higher, but you aren't 80 yet. I wouldn't worry until you are.

Edit: Illhoof beat me
    Last edited by Bulk; 02-12-2009 at 09:01 AM.

More information Needed

As others have asked, what elite was it? I've personally leveled as prot warrior and there were numerous elites I could solo and an equal amount that I could not.

At 80, I've found I can easily solo G3 quests. Meaning that the mobs will have about 110k HP and they go down rather easily without any needs for CD's.

Just to echo the not-all elites are created equal.

I can kill the elites in normal VH at level 80 (did it to level some weapon skills actually), but I still get overwhelmed by the mobs in H BM (lvl 71 maybe?).

I can solo Trollgore on normal , but Novos makes me look silly (just too much magic and not enough rage generation).

Last, there are 3 G5 quests in icecrown to kill 3 deathknight captains. I can solo 2 without breaking a sweat (one without using cooldowns) but the last one I can't even get to 50%.

Elites in the world are typically elite because they have a lot of health - prot warriors can just outlast them. Elites in instances typically hit hard - prot warriors just negate all the damage and spank them. Some elites are both and you're kinda screwed though.

Yes, you guys are right. I forgot to mention the mob in question.

The mob is the elite from the "Really big worm" quest in dragon blight.

I can pull the adds around it as a single pull and clean them up, leaving only the elite to kill ( ensuring a clean room and space to move about while fighting if needed ), but the best I can do is get it down to 3k health.

Ive tried using spell refelection for the spell it casts, used enraged regeneration, last stand, shield wall, the works.... one runic health potion, trinket regeneration and still no luck.

I was able to solo most other 3 man quests in dragonblight, except this one and reclusive runekeeper.

Ive tried to get the best in slot blues, its not allways easy to find them or get them to drop. Hopefully as I start on heroics I'll be able to get some basic epics to boost my tanking abilities.

I changed my crafted cloak for the rep one from dragon temple. However Im unsure if this will be indeed an upgrade from the previous one. Still need to enchant it though, but Im thinking that the titanweave enchant is somewhat wasted on this item and to go for the +120 armor would be a better choice for the item.

As far tanking VH I was able to waltz through VH normal, and Ive been able to tank in HoS up to tribunal of ages ( then inet went down for about 30 minutes... gotta love my ISP... so group gave up as it didnt seem I was coming back ).

In fact in normal HoS I felt rather good as one of the dps lagged behind and managed to pull a patrol from behind us making it so I had to tank 2 groups of mobs at once ( had to go pickup the mobs he'd dragged behind us and them cluster them all to avoid the wipe ).

Thats the reason it puzzles me so much, I was able in HoS to really shine as a tank, and then, when I try other things, I get smacked around.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Last edited by Glaive; 02-16-2009 at 01:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread