+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrades leaving me short of Defence!

Upgrades leaving me short of Defence!

The World of Warcraft Armory

I'm at work so I'm not 100% sure what I had equipped when I logged last night...

but we cleared naxx 10 and I got 2 pieces of loot, the plague boots and my t7 chest.

I currently use the bp of the solemn council and the wyrmrest accord boots which means I am losing ~44 def rating. I was sitting at 547def and was hoping to be able to get the +22def enchant off my bp or the +20 def off my shield in order to replace with something more useful but now I am looking at a situation where I will be below 540 even with both of those enchants.

Is this situation normal? does my def go down as my gear gets better?

I was going to gem my t7 bp (blue and a yellow or red I think)with a +24stam and a +8defence/+8(dodge/expertise not sure which) inorder to get the socket bonus - does that make sense?

I could also gem it with +24stam and +12stam/expertise and switch out my shoulders.

I currently wear iron smith dwarf pauldrons but I have the pauldrons of reconnaissance in my pack. they have less armour/str/stam but they have 10 more def (and expertise instead of parry) - is that a good idea?

It kind of sucks having to re-do all your gear when you get a new "upgrade"...

also boot enchantment, 22 stam or 15stam and run speed buff? (or something else entirely?)

Short answer.. yes

The blue quality items are pretty loaded with +Defense Rating. This is pretty common as you trade up to items with a better spread of stats than just Armor/Strength/Stamina/Defense.

A lot of higher level items have a little less Defense innately than lower level items simply because they've decided to distribute the stats a little different. They're just not as focused solely on Defense like many blue items are... so what you're experiencing is fairly normal. The good news is there's a solution.

1. Get Daunting Hangaurds. Here's how they compare to your current gloves: Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft
    The raw amount of Defense gain is worth it especially since you need it.

2. Replace your old Stamina trinket. 57 Stamina doesn't cut it anymore. Consider picking up Seal of the Pantheon from NORMAL Halls of Lightning. (don't do Heroic, it won't drop there)

Those 2 simple moves should allow you to stick with Boosting the stamina of your newer pieces. As to my simple guide to gemming... you only need 5 gems, here goes:

- 24 Stamina
    - 8 Defense / 12 Stamina (for yellow sockets to get bonus)
    - 16 Defense (when you really need to hit 540 fast)
    - 8 Expertise / 12 Stamina (threat)
    - 8 Dodge / 12 Stamina (avoidance)

Anyway so hopefully that's steered you along your way a bit. Yes, it's a little annoying having to re-do gear with upgrades, but you'll find in time that's kinda part of the fun of tanking is making different sets for different situations in order to maximize your performance

Hang in there, it gets sketchy maintaining the cap while you shift out some high defense blue items. Do what you can and after a few more upgrades it will cease to become an issue.

Do you have any trinkets with +Defense? Maybe try some normal HoL for that defense trinket. I wore the Shadowmoon Insignia for quite some time until I had enough defense from epic gear.

EDIT: Read what veneretio wrote, much better organized post!

What kolben said is true, the blues from rep/quest gear seems to be more loaded with +def.

You look like your on the boarder between rep/heroic gear and 10man Naxx, so your going to be doing alot of shifting around(gems, enchants, etc) to be above 540.

I see your using the Badge shield, get you a crafted one. It gives more def. Also, if this drops from Thaddius: Repelling Charge get it. +84 def great!

Kaptain,

Currently im 3/5 valorous with a lot of equivelant gear on top of that yet im barely over the defense cap. It's a constant assesment of the proper balance of stats (including defense). The high 70s blue itens are packed with defense so you can get started on the ten mans. Of course defense cap supercedes the stats on some entry level epics but that doesnt mean you shouldnt roll on it. I would gem the defense before i would stam if you arent def capped but as you get more gear and it starts to balance out you can then replace the gems with other stats such as stam or hit. My buddy is a DK tank so its was very difficult for him to get capped without a shield I think he ran reg HoL 15 times before he got the trink :P But definately run HoL for that trinket because it will allow a ton of flexibility on how you prioritize your stats.

So...jsut hang in there cause once you get over that defense/gear "hump" its a lot esier to maintain the cap. BTW heres my armory link

The World of Warcraft Armory

I have a lot of trouble knowing when I should be wanting more threat or more avoidance - in general I dont feel like threat is ever an issue (except last night on sapphiron our hunter was caught up to me on omen but he is by far our highest dps), and I dont know when avoidance is better - in general I go for 540def, then +Stam. I gem purple or green gems Stam/Xxxxx when I need to to get a socket bonus. How do I know what fights to wear more avoidance/threat? is there a post that advises me? do I just go by experience? I spend most of my time tanking trying to get as perfect a rotation as possible while also directing the rest of the raid (I am raid leader also) so I dont generally have time to figure out if I need more avoidance and less EH.

I tried for the trinket in HoL but it never drops for me and my buddies don;t want to slum it in regular dungeons anymore - no badges.

Where do I get the Daunting Handguards from?

There was a shield drop this week in naxx 10 but the other tank got it, hopefully when thaddius drops that (it does drop in naxx10 right) then I'll get priority. I will look up the crafted shield, although i am out of cash after buying the shotgun and the ring ><

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain O View Post
    I tried for the trinket in HoL but it never drops for me and my buddies don;t want to slum it in regular dungeons anymore - no badges.

Where do I get the Daunting Handguards from?
    Just PuG Normal HoL till you get it. The Daunting Hanguards are easily made by any blacksmith. You should be able to purchase a pair off the AH for cheap as well.

Daunting hand guards are very cheap and offer tons of stats for a lower level blue.

As far as HoL you can gain tabard rep running it so thats a great reason for people to run it over and over If you want a nice shield upgrade try running CoS heroics. Drops a very nice shield that you can use till you get to 25 mans.

As far as threat.......

I dont think threat generation should be an issue with you, especially if youre hunter is the top DPS'r (feign death FTW) You do need to generate threat but ultimately its up to your raid members to watch their threat levels.

Have the hunter Misdirect you regularly and be sure to put vig on him Also. get the glyoh of mocking blow. Basically gives you two taunts.

I had the same issue, I was gemmed for defense and I couldn't replace my daunting gloves because I'd go crittable. My problems were over when I finally looted the defense trinket from Naxx10 (the HoL trinket never dropped for me).

Staying uncrittable is harder at first, and then one day after a few small upgrades (and maybe 1 or 2 big ones) you'll find it's much ceasier to stay above the cap without the need for gems.

Does Omen know when a hunter FD's? will it drop their threat on the chart?

Regular dungeons seem to give really crappy rep in comparison to Heroics =\

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain O View Post
    Does Omen know when a hunter FD's? will it drop their threat on the chart?

Regular dungeons seem to give really crappy rep in comparison to Heroics =\
    As a hunter and a tank, yes. Omen does drop aggro accurately when a hunter FD's.

From what I've noticed you can make up the loss of defense with adding some enchants to your gear. Enchantments by slot - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft. I have this book marked so I can quickly see what enchants I can get for each slot. +22 Defense to chest and adding a +16 defense gem to it would probably put you at the 540 mark without having to change any gear out. I've had the same issues, but enchants and gem seem to bail me out each time I get an upgraded piece that may have less defense. Hope this helps.

Another option would be to swap your meta for +21 def / +5% block.

That'll also help your threat out some. You have good stamina, so I think you can afford the EH loss with this switch.

Gloves are another place you can look for an upgrade: Kirin Tor exalted, Gundrak, and T7 are all options aside from Daunting. Plus, the Kirin Tor and T7 can be bought with patience if luck just hates you.

Jasin - Yeah, I logged off right after the raid and getting the new year so it wasnt gemmed/enchanted yet - Last night I got on and got 22def to chest and 22 stam to boots. It still put me 8 def short but I swapped my shoulders temporarily to hit 540. I will either buy daunting hand guards or finish kirin tor rep grind or also I am have 50 badges so I can spend them on set gloves soon (and get 10% to my shield slam damage to boot).

Last night we did OS +1 drake, I was the tank for Sarth. We then went to EoE and tried Malygos, it was the first tough fight I have seen in wotlk - we ended up getting him to stage 3 a couple of times but we were way to disorganized. We also were too slow, we had about 1m20s left on enrage, we had 2 tanks with us so we are thinking of either having me switch to fury for that fight, or the pally tank spec holy so we can squeeze an extra dps into the group, 20% more dps should get us more time for stage 3. For a beginner malygos raid what sort of time stamp do we want to be hitting stage 2 and 3 at? We entered stage 2 after 5 mins and stage 3 after another 4 or so.

+ Reply to Thread