+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Very Confused Prot Warrior Needs Help!

It really just depends on what you're looking to improve once you're beyond the soft-cap. After the soft-cap expertise will offer slightly less dps/threat than hit will (Shockwave and TClap can't be parried so expertise doesn't help while hit does) point for point... however the reduction in parry haste from the expertise makes up the gap in terms of additional survivability.

It all just comes down to deciding what you need to work on for your given situation. If your healers are struggling to keep you alive, your prime objective is to increase your survivability. At the point where healers *aren't* struggling to keep you alive, you increase your threat to make sure DPSers aren't struggling with a threat ceiling. At the point where your DPSers are comfortably maximizing their DPS without worrying about the threat ceiling, work on your personal DPS.

Just don't make the mistake of only holding onto one general-purpose set of gear. Each encounter is different and where one fight may require you to maximize your survivability (progression) others may allow you to maximize your DPS (farm / quasi-farm).

Quote Originally Posted by Garrek View Post

Just don't make the mistake of only holding onto one general-purpose set of gear. Each encounter is different and where one fight may require you to maximize your survivability (progression) others may allow you to maximize your DPS (farm / quasi-farm).
    I have a hard time understanding what pieces go to what set. So, I have never built additional tank sets. Is there a good guide or gear list on making these sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrek View Post
    Yup, definitely something I'm working on. We're gearing up 3 tanks right now (including myself) so I don't have much opportunity to greed roll on stuff when it drops if it's just a sidegrade / trash set piece.

Folding Zebra, from what I've seen around here it seems there are 3 different situations you want to gear for.

High Shield Block for trash.

High health / high avoidance for progression. (Stam, Defense, Dodge).

High threat for fights like Malygos. (Expertise, hit, strength).

I could be way off base, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you need to maintain 540 Def for clearing trash?

Definitely, I would never go uncapped into an instance -- it's just asking for a repair bill.

Ok. Can you elaborate more on the different sets and when/why they should be used? I know I'm sounding like such a noob, but this is the way I will get better

Definitely, I would never go uncapped into an instance -- it's just asking for a repair bill.
    For Trash and Heroics, you only need 530 Defense. Just make sure your back up to 540 for the boss =P

I'm pretty sure it is 535 for heroics though.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingZebra View Post
    Ok. Can you elaborate more on the different sets and when/why they should be used? I know I'm sounding like such a noob, but this is the way I will get better
    I don't have different sets yet so I'll just wait for someone who does to step in and illuminate things for you. Sorry

540 for anything orange or skull.

535 otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    I don't have different sets yet so I'll just wait for someone who does to step in and illuminate things for you. Sorry
    Ok. I'll wait patiently... Bound to be a veteran around lurking somewhere

Can you elaborate more on the different sets and when/why they should be used?
    Simply put, no fight works the same way. Sometimes you'll want more EH, sometimes you'll want more avoidance. Other times, you'll want more DPS/threat.

Usually you'll use your threat set on trash, and your EH or avoidance set on bosses. How do you decide between the two on bosses? You really just have to get a feel for it. You'll know what you need

Ok thanks. What stats would make a set a "threat" set and vice versa. What stats should I be looking for to decide what set it goes to?

I have 2 tanking sets, EH and Threat

My EH set consists of things like my Val. shoulders, my wall of terror/Hero's Surrender and my chestguard of the Exausted. I dont use this set very much right now because i out gear all the content that i am running, though i do expect to be in it very frequently in Ulduar, untill again, its on farm.

My Threat set includes items like my Barricade of Eternity, Signet of the Impregnable Fortress and Sabatons of Endurance. Im in this set more often than not, i use it for heroics and most raid encounters.

What stats would make a set a "threat" set and vice versa.
    Threat stats would be Hit, Expertise and Block Value.

Avoidance would be Dodge, Parry and Block Rating.

so avoidance set + EH set?

Thanks btw, good info.

for me ya, generally the items i pick for my EH set already have alot of avoidance on it, so i just slap a couple 24stm gems in there with a stm enchant if possible.

While gearing up, should I go for EH set first?

Work on EH and avoidance untill your healers are no longer struggling to keep you alive, you and your healers have to be the judge on that, i cant be. Then its time to work on your Dps and Tps output, By including more Expertise, Hit and BV in your gear.

ok thanks a lot.

Trash
    Block
    Stam
    Frost
    Threat
    prot-dps (for when I'm not needed to tank which hasn't happened - thankfully)

are what I have for raids

+ Reply to Thread