+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valor Medal of the First War or Waistguard??

Valor Medal of the First War or Waistguard??

So, my guild is progressing through Nax and I've been running heroics trying to upgrade my gear to make things easy on my healers. I've done quite a bit, gotten a little lucky, and now I'm pretty well geared to run Nax without much issue. Now i've come to a place where I'm not sure where I need to upgrade next.

I've got 40 Emblems and I'm looking to purchase my next piece but I can't decide what would be the best upgrade for me? I could get the Waistguard of Living Iron, but I have Ancient Aligned Girdle. I'm getting pretty close to the def cap (I've been sacrificing def and stam for expertise) so I'm not sure if this is where I should spend my badges. I could get Valor Medal of the First War, but I'm already around 23 dodge and in some fights I'm starting to see some rage starvation.

So, fellow tanks, what do you think I should do? Should I buy the Medal or the Waistguard? Or should I save my Emblems and start to buy stuff for DPS off spec.

Armory linked for reference:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I appologize for the wall o' text

I do not conside rthe belt an upgrade, I would say dodge trinekt for help with boss fights.

Don't buy Valor Medal, I would skip the belt too. The dodge you get from the trinket is not much, due to deminishing returns. Don't think of it as a new Moroes Pocketwatch.

The medal would still get him close to 25% dodge static, which is a nice amount, and even procced will give him an extra 3-4% above and beyond...Do not underestimate the trinket.

when you get to tank a hard hitting boss, you will be glad you have the trinket to click, since every single dodge counts

There is much better use for the trinket slots than the Valor Medal. I even consider the old +57stam/extra dodge on low hp trinket from TBC better. Get stamina or defence trinkets. If you are lucky even a dps trinket, there is one with high expertise for instance (don't know the name now).

Gnurken - you are not answering the question....what is the best thing he can purchase for 40 badges? He already has gloves and chest and neck, so unless his guild needs him to dps, the trinket is his best option.

Well, since I consider the trinket to be total waste, he can just as well buy gems or orbs for the badges. When I inspect other tanks around I very rarely see that trinket being used.

I've personally seen a number of Death Knights using it on my Server. I personally have it and pop it very frequently on patchwork. Me personally, i have the ancients belt which is a great belt, and certainly better then the badge belt IMHO.

The trinket adds a total of ~7.43% dodge when used, given my gear (22.30% dodge). If you have 25% dodge, it'll still add almost 7%.

I don't think anyone ought to say it is worthless.

If you have the emblems to spend, and have purchased the other things then get the trinket. When you need it, you'll have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darath View Post
    I've got 40 Emblems and I'm looking to purchase my next piece but I can't decide what would be the best upgrade for me? I could get the Waistguard of Living Iron, but I have Ancient Aligned Girdle. I'm getting pretty close to the def cap (I've been sacrificing def and stam for expertise) so I'm not sure if this is where I should spend my badges. I could get Valor Medal of the First War, but I'm already around 23 dodge and in some fights I'm starting to see some rage starvation.

So, fellow tanks, what do you think I should do? Should I buy the Medal or the Waistguard? Or should I save my Emblems and start to buy stuff for DPS off spec.

Armory linked for reference:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    You're correct in your assumption that purchasing the Emblem belt would be a waste of emblems.

Considering you're using a Block Rating trinket right now, the Emblem Trinket is definitely worth it. It's a nice option to have. On fights that you're feeling rage starved use the Block Rating trinket or even a DPS trinket... on fights where the bosses are really bringing the heat... put on the Dodge trinket. Remember these trinkets are not set in stone, you can switch them up from fight to fight to maximize your efficiency.

As to the commenter that stated that b/c of Diminishing Returns, Dodge isn't worth it. Well he's simply incorrect. It's true you won't get as much Avoidance from Dodge rating the more you have of it, but that still doesn't change that getting more dodge is NEVER a bad thing in terms of increasing your survival.

If you do eventually get the 84 Defense Trinket, I would use it instead of the Emblem one, but for the time being pick up the Emblem trinket for the hard hitting bosses.

(all that said, eventually you'll want to get Mirror of Truth... it's important to have a solid tanking and dps set!!)

If you keep the Ancient Aligned Girdle i would not buy the Valor Medal, because both stack Dodge rather than spreading their item points around.

That being said, i do wear the Valor Medal because of how useful the on-demand click ability is, since most bosses have an enrage mode or mechanic where you'll want to spike your avoidance.

I never went after the Girdle because it stacked too much avoidance into just 1 stat.

I ended up getting the Mirror of Truth before the Valor Medal. Gave me more bang for my emblems.

But I did buy the Valor when I saved up again....What else are you going to do w/ the emblems?

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    You're correct in your assumption that purchasing the Emblem belt would be a waste of emblems.

Considering you're using a Block Rating trinket right now, the Emblem Trinket is definitely worth it. It's a nice option to have. On fights that you're feeling rage starved use the Block Rating trinket or even a DPS trinket... on fights where the bosses are really bringing the heat... put on the Dodge trinket. Remember these trinkets are not set in stone, you can switch them up from fight to fight to maximize your efficiency.

As to the commenter that stated that b/c of Diminishing Returns, Dodge isn't worth it. Well he's simply incorrect. It's true you won't get as much Avoidance from Dodge rating the more you have of it, but that still doesn't change that getting more dodge is NEVER a bad thing in terms of increasing your survival.

If you do eventually get the 84 Defense Trinket, I would use it instead of the Emblem one, but for the time being pick up the Emblem trinket for the hard hitting bosses.

(all that said, eventually you'll want to get Mirror of Truth... it's important to have a solid tanking and dps set!!)
    That makes a lot of sence Veneretio, looks like i'll pick up the Valor Metal tonight before we head into OS. A big TY to all who posted, I really appriciate it.

And a special TY to veneretio for tankingtips.com. For those who've never been there, GO THERE! Tankingtips.com got me from a scrub pugging low lvl instances to MT Kara and from Kara to Wrath MTing with ease. Go check it out! I can't say it enough. Did i say go there? GO THERE!

Tankingtips.com and Tankspot.com FTW!!!

+ Reply to Thread