+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximizing my threat (DK)

Maximizing my threat (DK)

Alright so this is my tank:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    However I notice I was in blood presence at the time. I normally have 29282 HP as well as 29882 armour (not 100% sure but its 29k +)

Now tradionally I would start off a boss fight like follows to get a slight boost in my threat/dps.

IC, (initial pull), PS, BS, BS, SS, RRW (Recharge runic weapon), Gargoyle, SS, SS, BS, BS.
    Once thats over (and the garg is gone) I'll replace the RRW with a Death coil (dump Rune-P).

However what I'm finding is I push out about 2300 odd DPS but a some of that (I would say about 700 DPS) Is from the ghoul and gargoyle. Which do not add to my threat. With Mages doing 4-5k odd DPS I'm having a real hard time maintaining aggro.

I'm currently over the def capp so should I drop some gems for more hit or expertise? Or is it my rotation that is wrong? Or should I adopt a new spec?
    Given the choice I would rather remain unholy purely for familiarities sake.

I wouldn't advise using Gargoyle at the start. Keep that RP for Rune Strikes / Deathcoils, as his damage doesn't contribute to your threat.
    Do you have your attacks macro'd? If you had a Rune Strike to macros for all your attacks, you wont *really* need to click an additional button to trigger it, and it'll be triggered quicker (Assuming its procced during your rotation, otherwise you'll need to hit a button again to trigger it). It can add a significant amount of TPS (I found it surprising, actually :P).

I would re-consider speccing out of gargoyle, though. It does little for you as a tank, and the point may be spent better elsewhere. I'll take a look at your spec later (Didnt have time now, I gotta shoot off >.<), and ill also correct any mistakes in this post later <.< In a rush, tired, and typing what comes to mind first :P rofl

Well the current way I have it setup is the keys that do plague strike,icy touch and bloodstrike all have Rune Strike attached to them.

As a dk tank myself, magic suppression isn't completely needed since many fights are physical damage. u can either take those 5 points out of magic suppression and drop them in desecration (5% more damage for u) and get the death and decay glyph, if u want to keep magic suppression, u can drop some points out of necrosis or blood caked blade, the gargoyle is technically useless for your tanking unless your looking to put down an extra 200-300 dps.

Overall : Spec for morbidity, desecration, impurity, and get a d&d glyph, u can pretty much hold aggro with d&d and one cast of unholy blight + the ocasional rune strike

Edit : Armsman on your gloves will help u greatly (2% +Threat Generation) although 2% might not seem like a lot, it adds up very fast
    Last edited by Muffinss; 02-12-2009 at 06:59 PM.

2% Threat is actually very little. For every 100k threat, you gain an additional 2k. For every 1 mil, you gain 20k. Almost an insignificant value. If it makes that much of a difference, you have a bigger problem at hand.

Don't drop necrosis, whoever was saying that is badly misinforming you - it adds to your rune strikes and is one of the clutch tps talents for unholy.
    First off, you need imp Icy Touch, drop magic suppression for now either way, it's far too costly per point until 3.1. You lack reaping yet took wandering plague, another thing you should fix (scourge Strike is no obliterate but it hits mighty hard all the same) Drop BCB, an absolutely terrible tanking talent, get Virulence and Viscious strikes. Get Dirge.

Your threat is so low because of that gargoyle, lack of dirge, and lack of scourge strike increasing talents. We live or die on rune strikes and the gargoyle is the total antithesis of what will help with them, even if you've got it macroed into everything it means either your Gargoyle isn't staying out cause you're RP dumping so fast, or you're bleeding yourself so dry that you're missing tons of rune strikes.
    Scourge strike should probably be your second greatest source of damage and thus threat, yet you skipped reaping and viscious strikes - talents which buff it tremendously.

Dropping Suppression, wandering plague, gargoyle, BCB nets you 11 points to spread around into the stuff I listed, and the 3 extra points in blood really need to go into imp Icy Touch if you don't want to rely on another tank applying slows for you.

Copy my spec and use this rotation:
    IT, BS, BS, OB, OB, and RS/FS for RP dump.

I have no issues with threat, and often have to back off or risk stealing aggro when I'm doing #2 tank duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Genkk View Post
    Copy my spec and use this rotation:
    IT, BS, BS, OB, OB, and RS/FS for RP dump.

I have no issues with threat, and often have to back off or risk stealing aggro when I'm doing #2 tank duty.
    finally another DK with the same spec as me.
    this spec is GODLY
    7K TPS and bursting at 9-10K is fanastic

+ Reply to Thread