+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot warrior wish list

Prot warrior wish list

What are some changes you'd like to see happen to prot warriors?

Overall, I'm very happy with the class at the moment. Sometimes, people ask, if I had the choice, whether I'd go back to tanking pre 3.0.2 and, although I do occasionally yearn for some old-school heavy CC and strategic pulls in 5 mans, generally speaking I'm having lots more fun these days to really consider it. Plus of course, the DPS boost is MORE than welcome.

But, no matter how happy we are / I am, there are still sometimes things I think of that would be the icing on the cake. What are some of yours?

One recent one I had was for a thunderclap glyph: something along the lines of - gives your thunderclap an extra 'tick', x seconds later, but reduces damage of each tick by 25% (or hell, even 50%).

I.e. currently thunderclap - hits mobs for 1000

glyphed: hits mobs for 750, 2 seconds later hits mobs for 750 (or perhaps second tick is 500)

It's a bit 'consecration-y' but I think it would be pretty useful in plenty of situations (one that comes to mind straight away is the corridor after Noth the plague-bringer - I find that quite awkward as a warrior!)

Heroic Strike is another area that could do with some work, but I won't encourage any discussion on that as there are other, more attention-worthy threads that are best suited for it.

I'd also like to see our DPS buffed a little, but it's not a major concern - personally I think my own bottleneck with that is my gear / gemming / playstyle, so I'm happy to focus on those things before worry about getting 'free' buffs

Bit of a rambling post, but do share any ideas that you'd like to see with this most awesome class.

Frustrating Defense

xx% chance to generate x rage everytime you block/parry/dodge

Bake it into defensive stance for all warriors.

so sick and tired of the rage mechanic working against improving your gear. Tanking should improve when your gear improves, not get worse.

1) Normalise rage intake
    2) Bump our stamina scaling. Block is not a good compensation for raw health, period.
    3) Increase our (and paladins) DPS a tad
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Make craters appear when we hit shockwave

1) Fix shockwave on targets with a large hitbox.
    2) Some sort of burst threat buff, kind of like avenging wrath for pallies.
    3) Free bacon

4) A long duration single-target CC ability (I know it's not useful on current PvE, but I'm hoping for more CC un upcoming instances)
    Last edited by Molohk; 02-09-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added #4

Since TG is useful now and there should be no danger of flurry/devastate specs pulling ahead as the insane warrior raid dps spec (as it was shown to be during beta), give us back the damage on Devastate

1) Fix our DPS so that we are appropriately 80% Fury Warrior's DPS with roughly equal gear. This is currently tough with Titan's Grip, but figure it out.

2) Normalize rage generation so that it gives us ample resources in combat regardless if we are tanking and getting hit, or not tanking and DPSing. Related to Item #1.

3) Longer duration on shouts. Please increase to 30 minutes at least!

4) More types of shouts. Add a shout to increase hit and crit rating. Add "increasees mana pool by XXXX" to Commanding Shout so that it's a more complete and unique buff. Add a shout much like demoralizing shout, but lowers spell power instead of attack power.

5) Give us auto-shoot so that we aren't mashing the shoot button in melee unfriendly situations.
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Rage is the only class mechanic that, if you have it, you cannot use a majority of your abilities without it. Like mana, if you have it, all spells can be used. Energy, if you have it, all spells can be used. Runes and Runic Power compliment each other, you almost can't have neither. If you use a rune you gain RP and if you use RP one of your Runes will most likely be coming off CD.

Maybe alter the entire rage system into something different.

Maybe make the system into more of a build up system that builds up based on damage dealt and damage taken.

All abilities can be used at any time, but naturally some of the damage from these abilities will be reduced dramatically. As you deal damage or take damage your rage bar fills up, but not nearly as fast as it does now. Maybe a dps'ing warrior will fill his bar on patchwerk in maybe 15 seconds or so, while a tanking warrior will fill his in maybe 10 seconds.

All of our abilities deal more damage the more rage you have, while in defensive stance your threat also increases.

We have a few abilities known as Exhausting Attacks that dump all of the current rage from the warrior in exchange for attacks that have to be worth the loss of rage.

This system would kind of combine energy and RP systems.

---

Also I'd like to see a better level 80 spell for warriors. While heroic throw is nice it's just too basic, and it's more of something we should have learned at level 20.

---
    We need more of a niche as a class. At the moment the only buffs we offer fall into redundancy when compared to the equal, yet better effects. Like battle shout vs. might, might wins. LotP, a passive aura that can heal people affected by it, out does rampage which relies on critical hits. Trauma requires talent point investment vs. Mangle which is a basic tanking/dps requirement of ferals. Blood Frenzy is equal to Savage Combat and I have no real complaints with that.

We have spell reflection which is an incredible tool but not a required tool needed to complete a boss, but it's our exclusive ability. We need more tools like this.

---
    With CoW and CoR being folded together, demo shout will become redundant as keeping an AP reduction on a boss will also increase damage received with a minor armor reduction. The same thing has happened with thunderclap. Frost fever, which is a byproduct of death knight tanking/dps rotations, applies the same effect as thunderclap, while we have to actively apply the debuff with no gain to the warrior. The disease not only applies 14% speed debuff (20% talented) but it increases the damage done by many of his abilities.

We should gain some sort of benefit for using thunderclap or demo shout in some way.
    Last edited by Kalken; 02-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.

I'm not impressed with Heroic Throw either. It feels about as heroic as Heroic Strike, which isn't very much so (devastate also doesn't feel too devastating). Heroic throw would be lots of fun if it grabbed target mob within distance X and let you throw said mob to a location specified by your mouse cursor. Some damage done would also be required. Obviously it's more pvp geared but would also help positioning a mob perhaps :P. Mostly I just want to throw people.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    I'm not impressed with Heroic Throw either. It feels about as heroic as Heroic Strike, which isn't very much so (devastate also doesn't feel too devastating). Heroic throw would be lots of fun if it grabbed target mob within distance X and let you throw said mob to a location specified by your mouse cursor. Some damage done would also be required. Obviously it's more pvp geared but would also help positioning a mob perhaps :P. Mostly I just want to throw people.
    Aye would be nice to give tanks a knockback rather than giving it to the dps.

I can't get this image of my gnome warrior dropping his sword and fridge door, grabbing a tauren by the tail, spinning him Mario 64 style, and chucking him into the eye of the storm abyss.

Maybe drop heroic throw down to level 20, 30, or 40, and add Shoulder Charge at 80. You charge the target similar to intercept or charge but instead of stunning them you knockback the target as well as all targets nearby. This powerful charge puts all other charges on CD for 30 seconds maybe.

As per frontpage, a toggle key for heroic strike would be fantastic.

As it stands, everytime I talk on vent mid-fight people think someone is running a jackhammer.

New Talent in the Fury Tree-
    Powerful Legs (15 rage, 2 minute cool down): Through rigorous training the Warrior is capable of increasing his/her run speed by 20% for 15 seconds. This also removes all snare/root effects and prevents them from being applied for the duration. Additionally all change effects now include a knockback for the duration. This counts as an enrage effect.

Or For the Arms tree-
    Powerful Arms (15 rage, 2 minute cool down): Through intense training the warrior is capable of enhancing his damage with all attacks by 10%. In addition, Pummel and shield bash now cause a knockback effect. Lasts 15 seconds.

Or for the Protection Tree-
    Wrecking Ball (30 Rage, 3 minute cool down): Rushes target friendly player *like intervene would* and deals X damage to all enemies within 5 yds. This damage also applies a 3 second stun. *basically AoE Conc Blow on a 3 minute CD*

These would buff arms PvE dps a bit, help solve closing the gap for fury in PvP, and add a little additional AoE oomf for PvE and PvP to Prot (mostly PvP, but also helps when the mage pulls a 2nd group and needs them all off him fast.

1. Allow us to use thunderclap while silenced.

2. Get rid of stance penalties.

3. Add alittle threat to charge.

4. Add a effect to weapon chains just like DK's deathgrip. Will never happen but would be awesome.

On a side note make my troll look like the ones in Gundrak or at least a back brace.

Oh this is a wish list... I was using it as a "what I think warriors could really use" list. In that case, for a protection warrior I wish...

That we could see visually on our toon how awful he looks after the 40 foot tall boss monster man just hit us for 80% of our health. If Sapphiron is going to be that big he'd better mangle me good after a couple swings of his paw. I want to be stomped into a pile of meat and juices if he kills me and wipes the raid.

On a side note, it would visually help healers know how beat up a player is on the screen and might help them yank their eyes away from the health bars every now and then. Anyone remember the face of the guy on Doom? Obviously this would need to be able to be toggled off because some computers couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    Oh this is a wish list... I was using it as a "what I think warriors could really use" list. In that case, for a protection warrior I wish...

That we could see visually on our toon how awful he looks after the 40 foot tall boss monster man just hit us for 80% of our health. If Sapphiron is going to be that big he'd better mangle me good after a couple swings of his paw. I want to be stomped into a pile of meat and juices if he kills me and wipes the raid.

On a side note, it would visually help healers know how beat up a player is on the screen and might help them yank their eyes away from the health bars every now and then. Anyone remember the face of the guy on Doom? Obviously this would need to be able to be toggled off because some computers couldn't handle it.
    When you hit Shield Wall your eyes should glow gold

since we're wishing...

I want a pet - call it a Squire.

My Squire should keep my gear repaired, polished and looking sharp. I dare not go into battle looking a fool.

My squire should also be a capable cook, who can build fires and prepare my basic meals efficiently. The wise warrior never goes to battle on an empty stomach.

When we head into battle, my Squire should wave my war banner high, lest my enemies too soon forget just exactly who applies their beating this day!

When the dragon huffs and my off-tank and dps fall awash in flame, my squire should have my brown pants ready at hand.

At the end of the day, once my enemies lay defeated before me, my squire will herald the tale of the battle for all to consider and reflect upon.

lol

//Berune

* Autoshot - Toggle to just keep shootin...

* Quickdraw - Instant yellow ranged attack with ranged weapon, for weapon damage. 3 second cooldown.

* 30 minute shouts

* Forceful Shout - increases resistance to all schools of magic by X.

* Triumphant Cry - aoe mana burn

---To address the heroic strike problem---

* Heroic Strike - Slightly increased rage cost, and bonus damage. Now causes no additional threat, or maybe even REDUCES threat.

* Valiant Strikes -Prot tree talent - 40 rage, for the next 5 swings, the warrior attacks with bravery and valiance, doing weapon damage + 495. Each successful attack will restore 2 rage. Attacks cause a high amount of threat. And how about a new animation for it. Baaaa

Anyone remember the "Singing Barb" spec from Diablo 2? Why can't I do that? My lungs are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by dyls View Post
    What are some changes you'd like to see happen to prot warriors?
    I'd like to see a 5-point talent deep in the prot tree that lowers the GCD by 0.1 sec /point spent. This would increase dps slightly, increase rage expenditure (maybe without having to rely so much on HS), and increase threat and damage capabilities of S&B. It would make warriors somewhat more unique among the tanking classes without giving them a huge edge. It would also make them more fun to play

The reduced GCD may be the key here. I like that thought. We're limited in our threat by our GCD's and by our wep speed on heroic strike.

And I say put it deep in the tree. Really only useful for prot, and I feel arms might overextend it with reduced OP/Rev. OP/Rend/OP/MS...

see where that goes? every other atttack being OP.

They drop expertise and stand in front of the mob... crazy retarded damage.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

+ Reply to Thread