+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wall of Terror - Block Rating?!

Wall of Terror - Block Rating?!

Hi all, I have recently been the lucky recepiant of the Wall of Terror Shield from Kel'Thuzad. Wall of Terror - Item - World of Warcraft

Now im not meaning to sound noob or anything, but what was blizzard thinking chucking shield block rating on it rather than value.? :s I am looking at this from a Protection Warriors point of view.

So just want to know what you all think of this shields stats itemization in comparison with say the shield from malygos or from Patches.?

Well blizzard has vastly improved how effective block is for warriors. The amount of mitigation we gain from blocking a hit is no longer trivial in nature. If you spec into all the block talents for prot warriors and get pieces like this from naxx then you will have a VERY high percentage to block which immediately translates into less damage taken. Shield Block Value is a key damage stat and something that we get alot of from strength (the wall of terror giving us a total of ~31 SBV from it alone). In essence the wall of terror has really given warriors every stat that they could desire in one little piece. If you do want to up the block value on it (cause who doesnt!), then you can go ahead and add a titanium plate to it from blacksmithing for an additional 40 SBV.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

if you want SBV, put on a titanium plating.

SBR and SBV are both mitigation.

Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

"if you want SBV, put on a titanium plating.

SBR and SBV are both mitigation."

SBR isn't mitigation if you already have 102.4%. This can easily be achieved by paladin tanks. I cry when I see SBR now. They stupidly put it on a great deal of the paladin tier pieces too. It is only useful for AoE tanking when all of our holy shield charges are eaten.

As a paladin I value SBV much much higher than SBR. Stamina, avoidance, strength, block value, are all worth something to me, but SBR, hit, and expertise all have a cap.

Cheers for all the swift responses, lots to read

I still feel annoyed about the fact that there is shield block rating on it rather than something else which is more usefull. like some more parry, dodge, block value or expertise. But I guess I cant change the way blizz are trying to be annoying and giving us shields for different situations.

I do agree that block value is great for mitigation and threat, and that block rating is tbh a trash tanking stat.

I guess I will start to look to pick up both Barricade of Eternity and Hero’s Surrender when I can, for better boss tanking /threat tanking abilites. It just annoys me that blizz put block rating on the best rated lvl shield in the game .

Do you all agree with that? I just cant see myself becoming a block rating tank, i know it can be valuable and I have picked up a few block "value" / expertise items for threat.

PS cheers for the advise on the 40+ block value "titanium plating" if i do manage to get another shield drop (which is rare for our guild atm) I will ninja it and send the wall of terror (changin the 20+def enchant to a 40+ block value) to my block set.

It's really good for trash, if nothing else. There's a lot of trash in the world, and it's your job to pick it up and take care of it... I guess that makes you a Planeteer.

haha! Captain Planet and the Planeteers win win! Its me and my team of tanks!

I think you are still undervalueing SBR for wars post 3.0.

It is a much stronger stat for wars now that shield block has a 10 second duration and a 40 second cooldown. Since we are now not able to spam our shield block, additional block rating helps to mitigate more damage that we would otherwise not be able to.

Hmm, i see what your saying. But we cant depend on blocking something in the way we can depend on dodging or parrying it? or can we :S

+ naturally if we block something (or build block rating) then we must increase our block value, so that when we block a hit we take away more damage done to ourselves?

Does this then tend to the fact that you should either be a block tank or a dodge / parry tank?

Block rating and block value work hand in hand. The more rating you have the more chances to block. The more value you have the more you block for.

I'm not saying that anyone should stack block rating at the exclusion of other stats. Just that block rating is not something to be shunned.

Ideally you want to be both, switching out gear as needed depending on the encounter. Block rating is a cheap stat and works better and better the faster a mob is swinging. Unless you are blocking at least 25% of a mobs damage per swing with your shield, block rating isn't valuable on them (Block rating as a stat is about 4x cheaper than dodge rating). It's also important to consider that SBV is great for threat and dps, as it scales your SS and damage shield. I'm pretty sure there aren't many bosses that actually hit weak enough to justify a shield block set on them, but most trash it is good for.

+ Reply to Thread