+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DeathKnight's tanking Malygos?

DeathKnight's tanking Malygos?

Well, I am decently geared enough to tank Malygos, but I have not heard of a Death Knight tanking Malygos. I know the fight well, but I am wonder if it will be any different for Death Knight tanking then a warrior or druid. Any comments or advice you have please message me or comment this thread.

Armory Link:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

the main reason DK's dont normally tank maly is so they can death grip in the sparks. there is no reason why a DK cant tank maly, so if you have 2 Dk tanks then go for it

tho i would change your weapon rune to the parry one, you have enough defense with out it

Death Knights can take Malygos fine. Myself and another DK in guild have successfully tanked multiple malygos kills. It's true that we typically don't, since we can death grip sparks, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Only issues I ran into was initial threat in the beginning, because if I remember correctly, Death and Decay didn't tick until he landed. So when tanking a 5 minute (pre-patch) malygos, I wound up losing aggro to DPS that were popping trinkets early to get a chance to use them again. A couple more seconds to let him land on the pull before going all-out on DPS and things will be fine.

I would suggest sticking with the gargoyle rune, though, if you're gearing with survivability. His melee isn't what's annoying, it's the breath and vortexes that are.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by harliequinn View Post
    the main reason DK's dont normally tank maly is so they can death grip in the sparks. there is no reason why a DK cant tank maly, so if you have 2 Dk tanks then go for it
    That; I will add that DK CDs (and passive magic resist) make them a perfect tank to eat Malygos breaths'

If you have other DK to take care of the sparks I would said that DK is a better tank (at least in 25 where the breath hit hard).

But anyway the type of tank is not the problem in this fight imo; healer dont have mana issue so as long as he can take the damage it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    I would suggest sticking with the gargoyle rune, though, if you're gearing with survivability. His melee isn't what's annoying, it's the breath and vortexes that are.
    what about spellshatter/break?

I have tanked both 10 and 25 versions of Malygos as a DK. You don't need to deathgrip sparks unless you are going for the 6 minute kill. You just need to move malygos away from incoming sparks and any tank with half a brain can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradvanced View Post
    what about spellshatter/break?
    That would work too.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

+ Reply to Thread