+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid Howling Blast/Bone Shield

Hybrid Howling Blast/Bone Shield

Hallo all!

long time reader, first time Threadmaker.

I have been playing around with a new hybrid spec for my DK that has made tanking insanely easy. I honestly believe this is the easiest spec to tank with for someone learning to tank.

I have tried every frost and unholy and even blood tanking build, and this was something I kind of pulled out of my ass. I wanted lichbourne, howling blast, bone shield, AMZ and frigid dreadplate.

with the 3.1 talent revamp, I'll even be able to get unholy blight.

I have been able to hold threat off of other players doing over 5k DPS with my mediocre gear.

Rotation-
    D&D-IT-PS-pest/BS/BB-HB-BS

Restart at IT, only throwing D&D if the DPS is really spiking threat, which isn't often. I have rune strike macro'd to IT, PS, Pest, BS, BB and HB. No, I do not run out of runic power, I usually sit at full close to 90% of the fight. spamming horn of winter and arcane torrent kind of help with that too.

I also rotate my Cooldowns, Lichbourne, Bone armor, IBF, Trinket, Trinket ( JC trink and seal of panthelon)

I took killing machine over icy talons. I believe you could take icy talons and imp icy talons with a different spec, but idk if its of any use to me.

why no death rune talents? I havent seen the need for them. I make use of blood tap regularly when needed, but since HB has a 5 second CD, I am not spamming it.

yes, this spec loses 1 point in blade barrier. no, it has not adversely effected me greatly, as I believe the benefits of howling blast and bone shield far outweigh 2% parry.

My stats-
    28k unbuffed, 19% dodge, 19% parry, 27k armor

just so we are clear here is a link to the spec, it is also seen in the armory under US velen, name Bunnymuffin

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

with icy talons instead of KM

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Cupcakes?

any and all of the above appreciated
    Lethargic -Discipline priest, US-Velen
    " I can heal Instances, I can heal Raids, but I Can't Heal Stupid."

bump, again, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

I like this spec. I've been thinking about it too. Infact it's very similar to my PVP spec (ranged deathknight) and I too have been planning on trying to try it for PVE tanking. Unfortuanately I probably wont though as the loss of the end of tree talents is such a nerf to damage dealing capabilities and although this spec rocks for AOE threat I like to do amazing single target threat too.
    If i was to use it though I would make sure I get deathrunes from the unholy tree and wouldnt take improved deathgrip. I would want the unholys so I can add an extra howling blast to a rotation.

the runeless howling blasts pop in often enough to more then make up for the lack of death runes imo.

I actually have deathgrip spec'd, I have to see where I screwed that up on the sample tree.

my single target threat hasn't suffered as far as I can tell, and I have held threat against some serious dps (3500-5k). I was able to out threat my guild's main DK tank on archavon the other day by 30k, and he is unholy with unholy blight.

What's your single target rotation for this?

I like that you've tried thinkin outside the box with this; I was tempted to try it for a bit but then I realized something:

You can get almost the same effect (HB AoE), if not better, by dropping 1 point in corpse explosion.

In theory I like frost, but I hate having to watch for the 5sec CD on HB. With a normal Unholy spec i have 0 problems locking down aoe pulls with impurity/ebon making diseases tick harder. Now if you want a big hit for snap agro hit CE.

As far as the frigid deathplate is concerned; you're trading 2% parry for 3% miss: 1% avoidance is nice, but you're losing a bit from RS procs, in turn gaining the benefits of 360 degree avoidance.

Ontop of that; as mentioned above, you're losing a 10% modifier at the end of the tree. 10% is 10%, as you're gear gets better that is going to scale very well.

Fun experiment, and I wanted to try it out as well, but it seems like a bit of a wash.

well, as it stands, blizzard's 3.1 changes literally kick my spec in the goodies. apparantly the hybrid DW DPS DK's were so OP that blizzard had to not only nerf howling blast, but take it away from non-frost DK's.

damn you blizzard. now I have to re-learn what little tanking skills I had.

+ Reply to Thread