+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am a clicker and i need help

I am a clicker and i need help

I am a clicker and I am trying to change and need some help with that

This is how I play the game right now,
    1. I click to cast my spells.
    2. I move my toon using both the keyboard and the mouse to move. I press "W" to move forward and "S" to move backwards. I could never use "Q" and "E" to strafing! I use the right mouse button to turn my toon.
    This is what I am trying to do now,
    1. Bound 4 spells to keys 1 to 4. (I plan to add more spell to key binds later on)
    2. Move ONLY with the mouse. I press both mouse button to move forward. I click the mouse wheel (count as 3rd button) to move backwards. Right click to turn.

Here are the problem I am having,

1. Since mouse is used moving, I can't use it to select target when moving. So I try tab button but it does not always select the target I want. So those of you who move with the mouse only, how do you select target? Say when tanking etc

2. Moving with the mouse seem "fast". For example when I try to stop (by release one of the mouse button) I stop little bit further or below the spot I wanted to stop. This was not the case when I pressed "W" to move. Do mouse movers find this as an issue?

3. As a clicker, I spent most of the time looking at my action bars rather than the mob on screen. But even using key binds I find myself still looking at the action bars to watch out for cool down etc. Is there any way to get away from looking at the action bars? How do you know when your cool down is up? OR do you always have to look at the action bar for this?

Also if anyone has any tip please feel free to share them.

If any former clicker who now use key binds and use the mouse to move I would like to hear your experience as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
    1. Since mouse is used moving, I can't use it to select target when moving. So I try tab button but it does not always select the target I want. So those of you who move with the mouse only, how do you select target? Say when tanking etc
    Jump. You'll continue in the direction you were going and can target while in the air. Keep your mouse pointer in the area of the screen where you'll need to be targetting. Bind autorun to a mouse button.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

I have been making the transition to keybinds as well. I've always turned with my mouse, but I was/am still sometimes a clicker. During stationary fights, I have no problems, but when a fight takes a lot of movement, I get screwed up. Trying to back peddle while slamming keybinds messes me up and I'll have to resort to clicking temporarily. It's strange, because most people who use keybinds ask "how do you move and attack at the same time while clicking?" while I find moving and clicking easier than moving and hitting my binds.

It'll just take more practice, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Jump. You'll continue in the direction you were going and can target while in the air. Keep your mouse pointer in the area of the screen where you'll need to be targetting. Bind autorun to a mouse button.
    Thanks for the tip. I will try and practice this

I'm curious how people backpedel when they have "s" keybound to an ability.

By binding it to a mouse button
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

[quote=Hit Me;170419] while I find moving and clicking easier than moving and hitting my binds.

quote]

Right now this is how i feel too

When tanking the last boss in Nexus I run around in circles using "S" (slow i know) and click to cast my spells and that seems to work in normal Nexus and i found it more comfortable than moving with the mouse and pressing my key binds

Well I use to be in the same boat. This is what I did(not saying it's right, wrong or otherwise, it works for me):

I use a Logic MX-5 Gaming mouse. I leave the left & right standard mouse turn & move. I use mouse-wheel down to back up and use my two thumb buttons to strafe. I also have a couple of extra top buttons, the one behind the mouse-wheel I re-mapped to <TAB>. This basically, allows me to move totally with one hand and tab cycle targets.

I went out and practiced just movement with my right hand by putting a oven mitt on my left. Of course you can't do this in combat. But just for getting the feel.

And as far as looking at your bars during a fight. That comes with time and muscle memory, you need to find a setup that works for you. But you could make a bar, similar to what Cider has in his UI where you have one row up and a little bigger for your main abilities or what have you.

Hope that helps.

Quick tip for targetting things while moving: in the keybinds, under the Camera section, there's an option called "Flip Camera". It's not bound to anything by default, but what it does is spin the camera around so you're looking at the front of your character. It locks into place there until you hit the button again, so you can use it to click on things behind you while still moving forward.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Buy yourself a Nostromo N52 and take about a week or so to get used to it. Then have fun.

Using the mouse exclusively for movement just seems wrong to me.

Play like a FPS with key-binds. Mouse to move your camera, keys to move, keys to tab, and keys for your skill-binds.(MUST learn to use your strafe keys in addition to front and back moment. Playing without your strafe keys is self-gimping).

I could see it taking a long time to get used to but in the end you will be glad you retrained yourself.

One thing I might suggest....grab a FPS and just get used to mouse-look + strafe/movemnt.

For most people with past FPS experience Wow is very intuitive.

Here's what i do... "for PVE only" since PVP requires faster turning

Moving - qweasd: normal buttons, as a tank i strafe 90% of the time tho.

Keybind your right number pad
    0.123456789/*- that right there gives you 14 keybinds and then keybind "attack" to your enter button, I also personally have my top row of numbers keybinded for raid marking and pots as well. While I am raiding I only have to touch the mouse to pick up loot.

Edit - should also note that i do a lot of data entry at work so I can fly around the right number pad like a pro
    Last edited by Merko; 02-05-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jizzabelle View Post
    Using the mouse exclusively for movement just seems wrong to me.

For most people with past FPS experience Wow is very intuitive.
    I use wasd in every FPS I play, yes. I simply find mouse moving far superior for WoW. The moral of the story: your mileage may vary.

Agreed that if you don't strafe, you are gimping yourself. Just bind strafe to extra mouse buttons and all.

What I do is bind A and D for Q and E respectively to strafe and use Q/E for other binds. You really shouldn't be turning with A/D anyway. Use your mouse for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
    Here are the problem I am having,

2. Moving with the mouse seem "fast". For example when I try to stop (by release one of the mouse button) I stop little bit further or below the spot I wanted to stop. This was not the case when I pressed "W" to move. Do mouse movers find this as an issue?
    1) Judging by other posts I'm an anomaly on this one. But I use the mouse to move and target. I bound wheel up and wheel down to next target and last target. It has the same failings as tab, but you can do it pretty quickly. If it's something I really need to target, I'll just click on the nameplate.

2) When I first started mouse moving it was for pvp. And I missed things all the time. I'd run through guys, stop a few feet too soon, ect. Just takes practice. The faster reaction time is an asset you just need to learn to harness.

Good luck.

Just throwing this out there since it helped me, but there is a mod called HelpMeKeybind that I used to sit in Shatt and play with all the time. It was like a game within a game. You just input all your keybinds into it's little interface thing and it sends spell and ability names flying across the screen for you to practice.

Edit: Also the turning point for me in learning the keybinds was when I made it impossible to click some of them by making [modifier:shift] macros and using Spellbinder.

You have the same problems I'm trying to break out of (though I'm hoping you won't be lost forever). Prepare for a rough ride... I've only seriously been tanking since april 2008 and the bad habits I managed to build from then are things I'm fighting.

I'm finding it _very_ hard not to fall back to clicking things in more stressfull situations. I'm getting better at things... but good good do I have a long way to go. Now I do not want to discourage you in your attempt to ridd yourself of it - in contrary! Go for it, it will make you a better tank.

My advice is to not use the mouse to move. You move the mouse to LOOK. That's a very different thing. Then you move (using the keyboard) to where you're looking.

I recommend binding A and D to strafe. Q and E are free for other stuff and then there's absolutely NO possibility of "keyboard turning", which is very slow. Keep W and S for forward and backward and you're set. With those keys you should find it very smooth and easy.

For selecting, make sure you tab... you can tab through all enemies quickly, and see at a glance (you DO have target of target turned on right?) which isn't attacking you. Clicking doesn't work well and you'll find you're often clicking on your own melee dps.

For attacks, keep the attacks you use most on action bars at 1-6. Shield slam, revenge, etc. I find 2 and 4 the most accessible. Keep anything extremely time-critical close, too. I have shield bash at 1 because when I need to interrupt I need to interrupt NOW.

Edit: I do occasionally click things, especially at like 7 - 9 on my action bar, or my panic buttons.

3. As a clicker, I spent most of the time looking at my action bars rather than the mob on screen. But even using key binds I find myself still looking at the action bars to watch out for cool down etc. Is there any way to get away from looking at the action bars? How do you know when your cool down is up? OR do you always have to look at the action bar for this?
    You are replacing pressing one button for pressing two buttons (by moving forward with your mouse). Granted that I almost always hold down my right mouse button, I fail to see the logic of this. I strafe with q/e (sometimes a/d since right mouse button is always down), and still reserve a and d for keyboard turning even though I rarely use it. If you can move with only your mouse then more power to you, but you don't have to.

For your cooldowns check out OmniCC (OmniCC - Addons - Curse). It will display your cd's on your bar (big numbers over the abilities).

In PvE you are not using a whole lot of abilities. My keys are 1,2,3,4,5,6 and Shift+1/2/3/4/5/6, and Control+1/2/3/4/5/6 and then 7,8,9,0,-,=. The first 12 are for abilities i use the most, shift ones being short cooldowns. Control ones are usually ones that have a 3+minute cooldown. And the last 6 are ones I almost never use. I also click the longer cooldowns.

I think binds are more helpful in PvP than PvE. If you get comfortable with them, get macro's as well if you don't use them already

With name-plates, clicking on enemy mobs is fine. I never use Tab.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

+ Reply to Thread