+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hit question

hit question

So what amount of hit rating is enough? I keep seeing posts about how hit rating needs to go "up," but how much? What's a good baseline for hit rating, as well as expertise?

This is pretty much all over the place, but:

8% hit as a 1h/shield wearing prot warrior
    ~6.75% expertise to remove dodges
    ~12% expertise to remove parries

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Oh, my mistake, I thought it would be different than TG. The 8% carries over apparently.

My bad.

The percent overall didn't go up. What went up was the amount of hit rating to get to 8%

Well Alex, I ran into a similar brick wall trying to get that info here as well. The numbers above are the answer I was looking for, however with being a tank I don't believe we -can- achieve those numbers and still maintain our caps.

So the real question should be: What is the hit/exp percentages that tanks should aim for, assuming that we can't reach our caps? My personal feeling is that we have to just sprinkle the two stats on as we go along, instead of worrying about the cap.

I could be wrong though, again I'm no "expert" like some of the others here.
    (5/13/53) - Awesome pre-raid AOE tank spec for instances

You can indeed be hit capped, soft expertise capped and defense capped in purely naxx25 level and lower gear.

However, you lose a pretty good bit on stamina generally. But you swap in some high hit/expertise dps plate and you can do it. The item that actually made it possible for me was getting the +84 defense trinket (Repelling Charge). Prior to getting that, staying def capped was very very hard.

On my warrior I've got standard epic tanking gear and I've added in

Valorous Dreadnaught Gauntlets with +16hit gem and expertise enchant (the T7 dps gloves)
    Girdle of Chivalry with +hit and +expertise gem

For the rest of my defense gear, I just prioritized items with hit and expertise which also had defense.

I've been working abit on gettin myself some expertise and hitgear and managed to reach hitcap and 44 expertise (11%) but thats with some 70 gear like the t6 belt and the MgT expertise trinket since malygos sux balls and wont drop the pro one. With those stats im running at 459 def and 29.2k unbuffed so its not really bad at all since current content is loleasy anyways

I did a similar thing, if you swap your red gems over to purple exp/stam you get a decent foundation to work on. I lost a couple of percent dodge/parry and maybe 800 stam, but my rage is skittish on most things bar bosses so it was win/win anyway.

What you may need to do is drop any T7 piece with inferior hit/exp & sockets, unless you need it to remain defcapped. I think its the head of Grobulus that has a huge dollop of expertise, boots - 4H? are similar and it took me ages to get the legs off Sartherion that have a stonking amount of hit having passed to gear up new guild tanks. Grim toll is also a very useful trinket for a major hit boost. I lost out on the MGT expertise trinket but have a very useful SWP alternative.

It does mean dragging more and more gear around, but I've specced and talented towards one utility set with strong bias towards hit/exp, which glyphing and TP for damage/rage is pretty useful. I swap over avoidance trinkets and a couple of pieces of better avoidance pieces for anything with hefty spikes and recently started on the couple of bits of 'missing T7 content' gear just as a EH option for T8.

As mentioned above with naxx gear you can get the hit cap, or very close to it, easily get the exp softcap, and depending what drops you do get you can get a decent distance towards being exp capped. You don't need to go overboard, but some smart use of purple/orange gems, enchants and keeping defcapped (may need a gem or 2) it is very doable and a doddle if you are a Jewelcrafter.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

+ Reply to Thread