+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3.0.8 Frost Tank Build (7/53/11)

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    OK, just tested it two more times after our run, on storm giants in HF.

Mage pulled with AB, did about 1.6K threat both times, I DG'd, was put at 1.9K threat. Detargeted him, did nothing for 8 or so seconds, still didn't go back to mage. I did 0 damage, and performed nothing other than the Death Grip. Mage was in my group and everything.

It seemed like it used to go back to #1 on threat before, ninja change in 3.0.8 maybe?
    I'm assuming the mage stopped dealing damage as well then, as DG is just a minor taunt it will place you on the top of the threat list and force the enemy to attack you for 3 seconds if someone continues to push their dps while your standing around doing nothing after 3 seconds it will go to them.

Also to the OP: I like the macro guide as it gave me a few ideas for some abilities that I tend to use as an afterthought, but all in all just looking at your armory I can see you've already respec'd out of this build, and even in your 16/45/10 build those 4 points in Conviction can be dropped and better utilized in Tundra Stalker. Also some of your rotations are pretty much impossible to do in one go. Your initial single target rotation is 7 runes unless that HB is based on being a rime proc.

You AoE rotation is impossible unless you've banked RP before starting it.
    Last edited by xKhellendrosx; 02-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Figuring - Napkin math for average raid geared DK (not assuming all the crazy situations and possible raid procs and buffs out there)

35k armor goes to 40250
    5250 armor gives 145ap
    ~3.0 weapon speed with WF or Imp IT
    ~40% of total swings are Rune Strikes

Rune Strike = 10% crit on 8 swings per minute = ~2000+ damage / minute x 150% threat multiplier
    IT = 10 extra RP on 3 IT per minute = ~3000+ damage / minute
    Unbreakable = 145 AP + 5250 Armor for 20 seconds

Looks like IT runs pretty close to Rune Strike atm unless you are on a DW or Hateful Strike boss where faster swings rates will cause your Runestrike to Swing Ratio goes up , and for progression content I would say Unbreakable still wins.
    Last edited by Merko; 02-05-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Your post look great at first but I am sorry there is a lot of mistake and wrong information in it, imo.

A fews:

- Glyph of dark command: useless; first you should make what you can to be hit capped, and 2nd even if you arent, you got 2 taunt if one fail.
    - Death Coil: you say a lot of thing about death coil; I dont see any reason to use death coil over FS as a frost tank, exept in rare situation where you are at range. FS does more damage, crit more (with KM) and crit for 45% more damage. As frost you should take DC of your main bar imo.
    - Your macros: RS should be macroed to all of your abilities; it's the number one threat move of any DK tank.

About your spec, there a few talents not really usefull imo and one that you should really get: Bladed armor
    - Runic power mastery: you shouldnt get to 100 runic power at first, even less to 120 (i.e. you should use it with RS or FS before it reach 100)
    - Butchery: it isnt bad but it certainly not as great as bladed armor.
    - and the last point for bladed armor can be taken from unholy command; again, you got 2 taunt, it's enough.

About Icy talons, it may not be the best talent but, as someone already say it, your assumption about how haste work is... totally wrong. The damage dont change, you just hit more often.

I will stop there; I am sorry if I look a bit harsh but your post sound a bit like "I will teach them how it work" and infortunatly there is a lot of wrong and misunformation.

Feanorr

Wow, someone should edit/scrub this due to all the misinformation that is in the OP.

Merko is right. Glyph for UA is not really all that good. Id rather use my glyphs for better gains. OB, IT, RS, FS. I even wouldnt glyph IBF due to the fact I am always swimming in RP due to BoSanc.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

forgot to add threat multiplier to rune strike glyph, makes the 2 come out much closer, even possibly tilting the numbers in favor or rune strike

Quote Originally Posted by xKhellendrosx View Post
    I'm assuming the mage stopped dealing damage as well then, as DG is just a minor taunt it will place you on the top of the threat list and force the enemy to attack you for 3 seconds if someone continues to push their dps while your standing around doing nothing after 3 seconds it will go to them.
    As is the case with any other taunt, after the "fixate" period ends, if you aren't #1 on threat, it will go back to them. Nothing new.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueduck3285 View Post
    Ok so do you wanna tell me how you came to the conclusion of a glyphed mocking blow and where you came up with that DG is a full taunt
    In fact I want to tell you, I want to tell everyone actually. I tried it myself instead of taking stuff I read somewhere for granted.

If I am joining a fight,a friend is at 3k tps and I use Death grip then we both stop doing anything (or maybe I am keeping up diseases just to be sure) I will stay at 3k+ tps after the 3 second GUARANTEED attention from the targeted enemy.

It is not that hard guys, just try it and be enlightened. Please.

I was completely wrong with the mocking glyph though, I had something totally different in mind, sorry.

You may want to ask a friendly warrior what happens when he taunts a mob off a mage then turns his back to him while the mage keeps nuking then check your definition of a "minor" taunt again :P
    Last edited by Mufuti; 02-09-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Death grip has always been a taunt. The 3 sec it mentions means that it will force the mob to still attack you for 3 sec if someone surpasses the threat threshhold to pull aggro. If this threshold is not surpassed after the three seconds the mob will still attack you, while if it is surpassed and the three seconds fade it will turn and attack the new target.

Quote Originally Posted by aisher View Post
    If you do the math, you'd know that 25 def skill is appx 1% each of dodge, parry and "miss", so with SG you're trading 1% avoidance for 2% stam -- All else being equal. If you are recommending trading 4% non-diminished parry for a bunch of "parry/dodge rating", which suffers diminishing returns, then you clearly don't understand tank gearing.

There are advantages to SG, but primarily its there to help new level 80 DKs get into tanking-- otherwise the usual "540 def" is hard to come by.
    Not sure I'd agree with this. Not so sure but I've also read somewhere that avoidance granted from defense rating is also not subjected to DR. So the ~1% dodge, ~1% parry and ~1% chance to be missed from Stoneskin will always be 1%, no matter how well stacked your avoidance is.

As for Stoneskin helping new tanks get well over the 540 def minimum, that's true, but it also does serve well geared tanks to stack up on other stats, Expertise and Hit Rating, to be exact.

So in net, with Stoneskin, you'll get ~3% parry+dodge+to-be-missed, 2% more stamina, and lots of headroom to switch to expertise and hit gems/gear. It's a pretty good trade off I think

The 4% parry from Swordshattering though will grant you more Rune Strikes. But I don't know the math for that and if the extra Rune strikes are actually better. Just my 2c guys
    Last edited by jaydee; 02-09-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: corrected some numbers

+ Reply to Thread