+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why so little in block and so much in dodge?

Why so little in block and so much in dodge?

Hey all,

Been following a few of your threads and being like every other seriously obsessive tank, I been checking yall out on the armory and one thing I've noticed.
    With most of the Prot War Tank's I've checked out, the more experienced ones (ie those with more achievments ergo downed more bosses) seem to have a helluva lot less Block rating and put their talent points the exact opposite way I do between dodge and block. Yall seem to go 5 for 5 on dodge and 2 or 3 for 5 on Block.
    Why?

Be good,
    Tank well
    And here's to having healers that never go OOM

When things are hitting you for 10k and upwards, blocking 1-1.5k is pretty lackluster compared to a dodge.

Many tanks tend to ignore avoidance stats completley in favour of maxing out expertise/hit/whatever because the content doesn't warrant worrying about anything but threat/dps stats currently. Dodge/block/parry are what they are purely as a side effect of that.

As far as talents go, many of us are also setting up for dps/threat because, again, the current content doesn't warrant a full defensive build at all. Anticipation vs. Shield Spec is an easy one because the 5% dodge from Anticipation is not subject to diminishing returns, while the dodge you get from gear is. Compare to block from gear which is not subject to diminishing returns, so there's no advantage to taking it as a talent where there is a clear advantage in taking talented dodge. (see http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4...avoidance.html)
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

What you are probably finding at present is that none of the higher end tanks are stacking either stat at present. If you inspect alot of the tanks on this site you will see that they are actually stacking expertise and hit up to the cap.

So why are we stacking these stats and not avoidance/survival stats?

Because current content is such that stacking avoidance or block is simply not required.

So why do we select Dodge over block in our talent tree? Because block is easy to build up when required, it's a very cheap stat and with the diminishing returns that are now on Dodge and Parry 3% dodge is much more valuable than 3% block.

EDIT: Satrina beat me to it

DK's cant block ?

It also comes down to the itemisation of the items that have block on them. It's not just that block rating is bad to stack, but that the items we have available to us with high block rating tend to suck.

Generally to get high block rating you've got 2 options, first there's a bunch of items with high values of both block rating and block value (Gauntlets of the Disobedient, Bindings of the Hapless Prey, Inexorable Sabatons etc.) which are good for trash, maybe fast or light hitting bosses but are otherwise not that great. Second you've got the items with Defense, Dodge, and Block Rating like Platehelm of the Great Wyrm or Burdened Shoulderplates but these lack sockets and are just in general inferior to the T7.25 equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by gilmantor View Post
    DK's cant block ?
    Luckily the thread is about prot warriors then.

o

Quote Originally Posted by gilmantor View Post
    o
    Post of the week?

But yeh I have to agree with the others. Atm expertise and hit is what it's all about. The only encounter I'm maximising my survivability is sarth3d

The way I always decided the block versus dodge talents is simple. Its min maxing. Even if you were affected by DR on this talent. It takes far less points to get 1% of block than it does dodge. You essentially get the biggest net gain of points by going 5/5 in anticipation and 2/5 in shield spec as opposed to the other way. Biggest bang for your buck between the the two talents imo
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    What you are probably finding at present is that none of the higher end tanks are stacking either stat at present. If you inspect alot of the tanks on this site you will see that they are actually stacking expertise and hit up to the cap.

So why are we stacking these stats and not avoidance/survival stats?

Because current content is such that stacking avoidance or block is simply not required.

So why do we select Dodge over block in our talent tree? Because block is easy to build up when required, it's a very cheap stat and with the diminishing returns that are now on Dodge and Parry 3% dodge is much more valuable than 3% block.

EDIT: Satrina beat me to it
    Ya I've actually been doing the same, ie expertise/and hit rating as I understand it effects threat and dps, BUT I thought I remembe at least in BC that their was a direct correllation between Block (Value/or Rating or both not sure) and TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    It also comes down to the itemisation of the items that have block on them. It's not just that block rating is bad to stack, but that the items we have available to us with high block rating tend to suck.

Generally to get high block rating you've got 2 options, first there's a bunch of items with high values of both block rating and block value (Gauntlets of the Disobedient, Bindings of the Hapless Prey, Inexorable Sabatons etc.) which are good for trash, maybe fast or light hitting bosses but are otherwise not that great. Second you've got the items with Defense, Dodge, and Block Rating like Platehelm of the Great Wyrm or Burdened Shoulderplates but these lack sockets and are just in general inferior to the T7.25 equivalents.
    Really? Those Items suck? Hell I've been hording the wrong items for my optional set then, cuz with that stuff I've been able to get a set that gives me over or around 1400 Block Value.
    I use it for my threat set and on trash and as for my boss set, I tend to go with the 25man T7 for the extra 3 seconds on shield wall, but I allways thought stuff like block value was what the shizznit.
    Oh well I guess its time to go back to the status quo and look for the perfect balance as a middle of the road kinda toon

Quote Originally Posted by Clav View Post
    Post of the week?

But yeh I have to agree with the others. Atm expertise and hit is what it's all about. The only encounter I'm maximising my survivability is sarth3d
    Ya its just a little difficult to get both close to the cap. Last week's raid I mt'd 25 man KT since our guilds main Prot War was out or whatever.
    Anyhoo, had to move out of one of KT's circle fires of death and it kinda relocated everyone in a bad way, so they were like "Shan, shan move him back to the middle."
    Now I've had this come up b4, and well, seems like the boss dont allways move when ya want him too.
    So they were like silence him and he'll move. I was like coolio yo, then shield bash took a couple steps back. Didnt move. I went to try again and tossed a Heroic throw at him with a gag order, then took another two steps back.
    Dude still didnt move.
    So I went back to melee range a third time (so as to not loose threat for being gone too long) and chucked a cuncussive shot at him, moved two steps back again and still the bastige didnt move.
    Now, I had at least 175 hit rating and 40 expertise (like 10% or whatever that is), but i still missed.
    So the Retatadin who is hit and expertise cap silenced him and what do ya know, the dude moved.
    But, who gets dogged for not moving the guy?
    And they get pissed at me for wanting to roll on the ring cruelty
    I swear its like being an O-linman all over again.

peace

+ Reply to Thread