+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Higher DPS or Higher Damage? Whats the dilly?

Tanks SHOULD be number one on the activity meter. DPS should be waiting until you get that first packet of aggro off, and then join in the fun. Healers don't start tossing healing spells until people need healing, shields and prayers and what have you aside.

Archavon is not a long instance with a lot of trash. If he was that much lower than you on the total damage meter, but his damage per second score was pretty high, that implies he was sitting around with a thumb up his wazoo until he needed to taunt the first time; either that or he didn't even bother fighting the trash. (Or maybe the trash killed him?) None of these things are signs of a good player...

You said he was sulking some, so maybe that's related. But if I had a player coming to a raid and he wasn't even participating in fights - and we're talking a DK here, it's not like he was low on mana! - I wouldn't bring that player again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
    Thanks for the discussion, it has cleared up my confusion too. I'm always high in total raid damage, but always a lot lower in the recount dps ranking. It makes sense that I spend more time in combat, but at a lower dps, and thus manage to have high total raid damage. Interestingly, I'm consistently #1 in the activity chart in recount. This would support the theory - I'm just in active combat more of the time than anyone else in the raid, which is why my total raid damage is usually so high.
    Ignoring the rude comments above this is exactly the description/solution i was trying to figure out.

My recount didn't include trash, i reset for bosses so trash uptime/dmg was moot and even with trash he was zerging it before /rc was complete.

It still doesn't make much sense since he wasn't standing around. Arch is a tank aggro fight and he was aggro fighting. both of us were grabbed and thrown twice.

anway.. discussion is moot. I'm selling my toons and retiring. last post evar!
    This account is retired. OP has retired from wow. Should be no posts beyond 2/5/09

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    Ignoring the rude comments above this is exactly the description/solution i was trying to figure out.

My recount didn't include trash, i reset for bosses so trash uptime/dmg was moot and even with trash he was zerging it before /rc was complete.

It still doesn't make much sense since he wasn't standing around. Arch is a tank aggro fight and he was aggro fighting. both of us were grabbed and thrown twice.

anway.. discussion is moot. I'm selling my toons and retiring. last post evar!
    With recount, you don't need to reset it every time. It can break down and track individual fights. You can look at the current fight, overall data or any previous fight. I don't know the in's and outs of it, so I can only see the last five fights, but I'm sure there is some way to go back and review more than that.

To answer your dps question, it's just a matter of being in combat or engaged for longer than he was. It's mathematically impossible for the two of you to be in combat for the same amount of time and then have you with higher overall damage while he had higher dps. So something was missed. Either recount was wonky and still calculating your damage from the trash, but reset the DK's or the DK simply wasn't in combat as long as you were. Those really are the only two explanations.

I've found it quite common to be higher than some dps in overall damage, but lower in dps, but it's because I usually have about a 3 GCD jump on the dps and two of my first attacks are AOE's. One pull can give me 10k overall damage head start. That stuff adds up. I know that you say that's not the case with your situation, but that is the reason it happens in every other situation.

edited for atrocious spelling and grammar. Sorry, I'll try not to let work distract me from posting again.

+ Reply to Thread