+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avoidance sets - need em in WLK?

Avoidance sets - need em in WLK?

Since we dont have to worry about shield block charges getting eaten up by like Lynx boss or Prince or whatever, is there a point to having an avoidance set now? I've saved up a bunch of pieces, but I'm not sure it's worth it ultimately, particularly with diminishing returns.

I haven't finished Naxx and haven't done Malygos etc., so any insight from those who have would be helpful.

Hmm.

Itemisation like it is now is that there are two "competing" sets which warriors can go for.
    On the one side a high HP high avoidance set and on the other side a somewhat lower hp high shieldblockrating set.

Save pieces for hp/avoidance and pieces for shieldblockrating and you really can't go wrong.

Not really needed now, but I like to be prepared for the new content when I think it will be needed :P

Yeah... avoidance is pretty underwhelming thus far. I've been saving pieces for different sets still, though. Most commonly I've been using my EH and threat sets, or a mix of the two for a nice overall balance, and secondarily my block set for various things (especially works great outside of a raid or for soloing things -- or a few of those niche fights in raids like maybe MTing Patchwerk). My remaining set, is the good old avoidance set, which I've been saving some specific items for and enhancing them with gems/enchants accordingly (i.e. Dragonstorm Breastplate, Callous-Hearted Gauntlets, Kyzoc's Ground Stompers, etc.), but honestly haven't really found, nor did I expect to find, a great use for a full set of avoidance yet.

I'm the type of person that wants an arsenal of options available to me to tackle any situation with, so I'll continue to build all of the various tanking sets, but yeah, avoidance sets in WotLK (so far, at least) are particularly lackluster imo.
    -ItZMuRdA-

Let me clarify. It seems like there are four broad categories of stats you can generally go for now: EH, avoidance, threat, or block.

1. A block set is best for trash, aoe packs, and fights like Loatheb, where the percentage damage blocked is significant--when you're only taking 2k damage post-armor mitigation, blocking for 1.5k--and more often--means you are really REALLY mitigating damage. This stuff is really good for soloing ZG and etc. also.

2. A threat set is expertise, hit, and block value for SS. Self-explanatory.

3. A set for EH would be pure stam and armor.

4. A set for avoidance would stack defense and dodge mainly, get in parry when it's cheap.

The problem is, I know when I want to use #1 and #2, but when would I want to pick #4 over #3? I haven't fought Patches on Heroic yet, but apparently he hits for 55k before armor. That becomes roughly 20k after armor, like ~19k if blocked. If I'm at 34k life raid buffed, I really can't take two hits no matter what set I put on. So I'm choosing between: A) getting more HP/armor so that a smaller partial heal after a hateful will be enough for me to eat another hateful before I have to get healed up, and B) getting more avoidance, so that I have a better chance at straight up avoiding all damage from the killer-to-be hateful.

Conventional wisdom would suggest going for option A, which corresponds to choosing #3, EH (when values are roughly comparable of course).

Back in BC, avoidance had a few things going for it: first, it got better and better since there were no diminishing returns, and second, the shield block mechanic forced you to pick an avoidance set a lot to avoid crushing blows. Now that we don't have to avoid hits that eat up SB charges, preventing crushings, what are avoidance sets good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    The problem is, I know when I want to use #1 and #2, but when would I want to pick #4 over #3? I haven't fought Patches on Heroic yet, but apparently he hits for 55k before armor. That becomes roughly 20k after armor, like ~19k if blocked. If I'm at 34k life raid buffed, I really can't take two hits no matter what set I put on.
    Patchwerk hits for 55k on 10-man. On heroic, he hits for 79-81k. After ~60% damage reduction from armor, then defensive stance, then BoSanctuary, you are looking at top-end hits of around 28k unblocked every 1 second.

On heroic you use 3 tanks instead of 2, though. Still, I have eaten back-to-back hatefuls and died right off the bat. I debate whether to stack avoidance or effective health, but its still rough on the healers, and I buff to 38k with ~55-60% dodge/miss/parry.

Are you sure, Felrynn? Wowhead says 27,750 to 32,250 for 10 man and 53,625 to 56,735 for 25 man; also I've done him on 10 man and i doubt his hatefuls are in the range of 18-20k. I had no problem with that fight.

I tank pretty much everything in a set that is capped expertise/hit, or near to it with a small concession to (likely) health or (not likely) avoidance. The only exception to that is Sarth+3D drakes where I max out health.

We shall see what happens in Ulduar

Edit: Oh yeah, a trash set that is expertise softcap, hit cap for 82 mobs, then strength
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Strength set eh? I use block rating/block value in my "trash" set because I often end up solo tanking a pack or two, and all that extra mitigation helps a lot. Particularly since I like to run up ahead and pull before people get there, so that way I've got a head start on threat (because casters like to AOE before mobs even reach the tanks otherwise)!

As for avoidance... I don't have an avoidance set, but I have the resources/spare gear if necessary to regem for it. I made a chardev of an avoidance set and this is what I got, unfortunately it doesn't list the +16 dodge gems, which I think are now actually possible to obtain (?).

chardev.org - a World of Warcraft Character Planner - x
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Are you sure, Felrynn? Wowhead says 27,750 to 32,250 for 10 man and 53,625 to 56,735 for 25 man; also I've done him on 10 man and i doubt his hatefuls are in the range of 18-20k. I had no problem with that fight.
    I am unsure which version he uses in 10 man, I never paid much attention, but in Heroic its definitely the version of hateful Strike that is 79-81k raw physical damage.

Wow Web Stats

That's 81k * 0.4 for armor * .9 for defensive * 0.97 for Sanctuary, leaving a top-end around 28k

I mean if that's the case, once you get to the point where you can take a hit at full life and not die, you should just stack avoidance. If all your healers are spamming heals, then just avoid the shit out of it and pop trinkets anytime they're up.

I mean if that's the case, once you get to the point where you can take a hit at full life and not die, you should just stack avoidance. If all your healers are spamming heals, then just avoid the shit out of it and pop trinkets anytime they're up.
    Your putting extra pressure on your healers.

If you stop stacking HP beyond the point of surviving 1 hit, you leave healers with no leeway to heal you up. But lets say you stack it up some more so between hits you only need 6k heal to survive 2 hits in a row, then life for your healers become so much less painful.

But to the point of blockrating gear, I see no point (no pun intended). On trash pulls I just use Shieldblock on the start. And it's usually off CD before the next pull. Rendering all other blockrating kinda useless. Can only see it's benefits in soloing stuff or long-term trashtanking, like maybe multiple adds as an OT in a bossfight. But then again, avoidance works wonders to that kinda tanking anyway. I don't even roll on blockrating gear against other warriors/paladins who only want it for offspecs.

+ Reply to Thread