Closed Thread

Thread: Pally vs Warrior Tanking

Pally vs Warrior Tanking

I was running Naxx the other day, I was the off tank and the pally was the main tank. He was keeping aggro very efficiently and was also doing an insame amout of damage (I believe he was 2nd) overall. Seeing this made me think about changing to my 70 pally and get him up to speed.

So what are the major differences between the two, is gear the same? How different is the play style? I played a holy pally in BC and was just curious how big of a change it would be to convert over as it seems to be a better tanking choice in my observations. Just seeing if I am missing something...

Gear is basically identical. I tend to think Warrior Tier is a little better itemized than Paladin Tier, but 'grass is greener' and all that.

Playstyle is a little different as Paladins have less cooldowns to manage, but still pretty fun and definately something to do every GCD.

Not to burst your bubble (yeah, I went there) but if your Tankadin was #2 on damage the only reasonable conclusion I can draw is you were AoEing the place. Paladin AoE in an Undead instance with Consecration and Holy Wrath could be pretty good, but I'm still a little suprised he'd be out doing your Mages, Hunters, Locks, etc.

i thought about what you mentioned Honors, I think on the DPS scale it was the Pally tank then biobill, then other tanks,. There should be no reason for a pally tanks to out DPS alot of the other classes, unless there are a lack there of those classes.

As a note, I was outdps'ing most of my raid at first. Then they started to get raid gear and got better at their dps rotations. Now I am down where I belong. A lot of it will even out as you gear up and get more experience. Remember that tanks (at least paladin tanks) reach a good 80% of their dps potential before they even step into Naxx, then they taper off a bit while other classes scale on past. Considering average tanks hit 1800-2000 DPS at first (well on fights like Patchwerk), if the rest of your raid can't outdps that, then they need to work on skill rotations or gear up or both. Time will even things out, don't worry.

One fun thing to note, on my server, there was a huge amount of prot warrior tanks just after wotlk. The ratio was roughly (in my prejudiced perception) :

War : 5
    Loladin : 1.5
    DK : 3
    Drood : 0.5

However, we are now seeing a lot of warriors rerolling paladins or going fury as the raid leaders are now favoring DKs and paladins. I asked one and his answer was that since all tanks are essentially similiar, why bring one w lowest dps? I only asked one though, so its not a general opinion.

Most of my fellow war tank friends now plays a tanking paladin instead. Supply has to evolve to meet the demand I guess.

The average ratio, (still in my biased perception) :

War : 3
    Loladin : 3
    DK : 3
    Drood : 1

It does even out somewhat.

The main reason why Prot Pallies do so much damage is because they need to.

Unlike warriors or DKs both pallies and druids don't have a stance where they get bonus aggro like def stance and frost presence. So instead both classes do more damage than warriors and dks to keep their aggro.

Err... Righteous Fury is our Defensive Stance :P

Bear Form is the same thing for Druids.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Aradvanced View Post
    The main reason why Prot Pallies do so much damage is because they need to.

Unlike warriors or DKs both pallies and druids don't have a stance where they get bonus aggro like def stance and frost presence. So instead both classes do more damage than warriors and dks to keep their aggro.
    Bear form gets the same threat modifier defensive stance does.

Righteous fury gets +90% threat instead of +50% threat, but only from holy damage. Which is 80% or so of their damage. Paladins have a better threat modifier than other tanks in most situations.

That being said wouldnt it be better raid wise to be a paladin for not only are you holding aggro, you are also contributing to dps.

Quote Originally Posted by biobill View Post
    That being said wouldnt it be better raid wise to be a paladin for not only are you holding aggro, you are also contributing to dps.
    Well that's true for warriors, druids, and deathknights too. It isn't different for paladins. All tanks do DPS and hold aggro around the same amounts.

FWIW, I haven't seen any Pallies pulling 3.5k DPS while tanking Patchwerk.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

i tend to think that pallys are highest threat generation but worst in terms of avoidance/mitigation. not that we're not good at avoidance/mitigation. with holy shield and all, but i think the other tanking classes are definatly more survivable. For example, warriors are pretty much the same in terms of itemization (pallys don't need expertise as badly as they do, but regardless); they get shield block and last stand, aimed more towards 'oh S***'! situations. I think it's just the direction they want to push the paladin. Seeing as almost all my tier is lined to the teeth with block rating/value.
    I don't make the rules, the tier does :]

As a 10man geared paladin (slowly getting 25 gear) I can do around ~2000dps on a fight like patchwerk as long as I'm MTing.
    I tried to DPS in Loatheb and got a pittiful 1800 dps, even with 80% crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    FWIW, I haven't seen any Pallies pulling 3.5k DPS while tanking Patchwerk.
    Look at Xav's video again. He optimized his stuff toward dps :
    - using DPS Flask/food/potion,
    - using pure DPS trinkets,
    - gemming his stuff with dps gems (hit/expertise).

This kind of configuration is only possible with the current easy content.

And if you check http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/...nchmark-8.html topic again, you will find :

Meloree (Pal) : 3989 dps
    Adanel (Pal) : 3867 dps

And most warriors only doing around 3k dps.
    Last edited by Foofy; 02-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foofy View Post

And most warriors only doing around 3k dps.
    Probably not a good idea to compare the top reported of one class to "most" of the other. Nor really a fair comparison. On average, most paladin parses I have seen are on the order of 2500 DPS for example.

I don't like where this is heading already.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread