+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I Crazy For Stacking Hit In This Gear

Am I Crazy For Stacking Hit In This Gear

To Start here is my armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I am not wearing my Bracers of The Herald and I am going to get the Waistguard of Living Iron once I get 2 more emblems.

I noticed that my dps was low for a protection warrior tank despite having fairly good gear. It was in the 1100-1150 range normally. My hit was only 91 so I added a few enchantments to get it up to 148. I also added expertise to get it to 25 which I hear is an acceptable level. My dps is now in the 1250-1300 range.

I figured out I could get my hit up to 196 by swapping out some gems in my gear while only losing 12 stamina and 4 strength. I am wondering if it is worth stacking hit on the gear I have because most of it doesn't come with hit or if I should wait until my guild begins raiding naxx to see what I can get. I noticed the 2 pieces of emblem tier 7 don't have hit either though.

Also is the SB+40 worth it or should I just get the shield spike(I have another shield with heavy defense).

I have been reading the forums and trying to make the most sense of this. I thought getting some advice from the more seasoned warrior tanks would let me know the best way to go. Thanks for the help. Kelvin.

what are you trying to do? heroics or 10 mans?

you're dps is decent for your gear right now, a fast weapon will increase dps a bit.

expertise> hit imo i don't have any numbers on that though. also the spike will be better for damage and threat than 40 sbv.

So far I have just done heroics but, I would like to be prepared to do 10-mans once my guild is ready.

if i were you, i would focus on living in your current gear. unless threat is an issue, then work around that 10 mans are easy mode and your dps is plenty to do it.

Given blocking was nerfed Pre-WOTLK with the timer being heavily extended you'll get more use out of the 40BV as that will count on all your shield slams, than the piddly damage boost from a spike when you are blocking.

Given tweaks to healing, and supposedly Naxx also being tweaked according to a blue on MMO, if you are defcapped, have decent exp/hit I'd personally make sure you have the basic survivability for job in hand, then look at this more seriously later when you've farmed some 10/25 gear. Not much point blowing cash on gear that will probably get upgraded, if it ain't broke and all that.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

Shield Spike is good for level 78 when you need something cheap, not for heroics or 5 mans. Run 20 Def rating.

Be aware your DPS will vary wildly throughout a dungeon. For example in H-Nexus, I'll average 1500 DPS; but on a boss that stands perfectly still, i.e., Keristraza, I will pull 2350 on just her. DPS doesn't always mean something in a 5 man or 10 man because there are lots of times when you are in combat and unable to hit things; because you're a tank.

Thank you for all the responses. I think I am going to stay with the gear I have for now. I got the belt last night and popped 2 +16 hit gems in it. I also got a nice pair of guantlets in a heroic last night. I think I will just upgrade my gear through drops, I know Heroic UP has a really nice sword so that's my next goal until raiding. With all the new gear in place this is how I stand

548 Defense
    26011 Health
    23577 Armor
    31 Expertise
    188 Hit

I spent all my money on gems though so I will have to wait on the Shield Block Buff, I am also having trouble finding players on my server to do it. I have +20 defense on my Titanium Shield which I carry as an alternative Shield.

You can free up about 5 expertise skill for other stats. Prob want to boost your stam and possibly your def rating since most 10man upgrades have less +def on them.

Rein all my expertise is actually coming from my gear. I am not using any expertise gems or enchantments. I can still add +20 defense to the shield I am using now though. I am an enchanter so that is not a big deal. Would you recommend a +24 stamina gem in my helm over the one I have now which is +8 hit and +12 stamina?

+ Reply to Thread