+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsidian Sanctum Sartharion (3 Drakes)

This video helped so much, about to try this out and hopefully get a kill
    I'm curious, how did you come up with this?
    Also, when you taunt him, are the dps in any danger from his tail?
    and finally, what is that music? its so awesome lol I have to know

Lore...nice video...super articulate and easy to follow.

By the way: As a general note you can permanently keep the max distance associated with that macro command by typing the following

/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax", 25)
    /script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMaxFactor", 2)

That way you don't have to keep hitting your macro. Just type that once and you're good.

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread...my one question tho is when it come down to the Cool down thing, do you pop em all at once or use a rotation and do it one at a time?

Use one cooldown per breath, we have a pre-set order I call out on ventrilo so people get ready.

May want to clarify what strategy the healing notes are tied to. It can be confusing otherwise.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

we've been doing exactly the same strategy as lore for weeks now. i'm the drake tank and other than the direction i run to get to the last drake, we do it exactly the same.

sorta off topic, what is that addon that you have that is a bunch of little boxes, presumably the raid members' health? it is on the left hand side.

(just curiosity)

Thank you, using the taunting strat, even my guild full of baddies were finally able to do this.

Our guild does the fight very similarly to Lore's strategy. One change that could be helpful for guilds learning the fight is to use two drake tanks. We have one tank get Tenebron and Vespron and the other gets Shadron. This lowers movement requirements for tanks and dps and removes the potential for a Shadron + Tenebron double breath on the drake tank, which will likely kill them due to Tenebron's aura. We found this actually increased our dps on Tenebron, making it easier to get some dps time on Shadron before Vesperon lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Man▀earpig View Post
    I wear 277 FR in our strat as well.
    Hey Manbear, I'm surprised noone has picked up on this but - would you mind giving a quick list of what pieces you wear to get that much FR?

I'm compiling a list of stuff I consider useful for my raid group - we're going to start on this next reset - and I'd love to know.

Our drood MT was one of the FR OTs on illidan so I know she has all that gear, just trying to figure out the balance.

Ty in advance

Taunt tactic is just awesome.
    We killed Sarth+3d few times before 3.0.8 patch, but was not able to kill him after "Twillight torment" fix (vesperon's acolyte debuff).
    I explained that tactic to my guildmates and we managed to kill Sarth25 + 3d in two hours of tries.
    Sartharion was tanked by warrior tank (me), other warrior was on "taunt" duty, third warrior tanked all major drakes and deathknight was on AE tanking. The main tactic problem is raid members' closeness. Many tries failed because of void zones.

I think Blizz will nerf taunts for Sarth, probably by making him taunt-immune while he is shielded by Shardon's acolyte full-immune-shield. And warriors, pallys will become non-Sarth-tanks once again.

I would like to ask a question about warrior tanking elemental/whelps. I was given this task last week, and I found it to be borderlining hell for me. I can somewhat keep it in control if there's only one spawn of whelps, but if the second pops out just when Tenenbron died, all hells broke loose since we AOE down the adds when Tenenbron goes down. Also I find it difficult to catch the mentals that spawns over at melee range of the drake tank, since doing that means I will leave the main tank healers momentarily.

I was using standard glyphs (Revenge, Sunder Armor, Blocking), together with standard deep wounds spec. I put vigilance on the Sarth's tank so that I can have infinite taunts, and I do AoE taunt when the AoE starts running (while trying to keep Sarth in mind). And I do run around a lot, trying to find loose mentals, but sometimes I get overwhelmed by it (which in turn, sometimes makes a sudden death from a void zone)

So, my question would be

1. Should I invest and change one of the glyphs (maybe Sunder Armor) to Cleave so that at least one more gets a bit more aggro onto it?

2. Should I ask one of the paladins healing the MT to heal with Righteous Fury? And put my vigilance on him instead of the MT. (no BoSanc)

3. When I anticipate a whelp spawn, I try to save my TC/SW for it. In return, when multiple mentals spawn, I might have difficulty catching them all. Is this good practice?

4. Is it good practice to stand still, tank them all (while avoiding the lava walls), and try to see if there's any mentals, or to run around to see if there's any mentals loose?

PS:- I am not a terribad tank, but I am no stellar/outstanding tank either.
    EDIT:- This is 25-men situation
    Last edited by mistabean; 02-09-2009 at 05:51 AM.

I had a question about using this strat...

We're having an issue where Sarth breaths, the second tank taunts, and the MT gets tail-swiped. This delays him getting taunted back, and the OT dies on occasion (he pops CDs, but sometimes just gets eaten).

How did you deal with / avoid this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakra View Post

We're having an issue where Sarth breaths, the second tank taunts, and the MT gets tail-swiped. This delays him getting taunted back, and the OT dies on occasion (he pops CDs, but sometimes just gets eaten).

That's a fantastic question. In fact I asked the same exact question back on page two...never did get an answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakra View Post

Rewatch the video and note that Sartharion is standing at an angle away from the tank on an OT breath. You just need to stand in a different position.
    Gertiploiss, the tank without a cause or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Galexior View Post
    sorta off topic, what is that addon that you have that is a bunch of little boxes, presumably the raid members' health? it is on the left hand side.

(just curiosity)
    Grid
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Marotgus View Post
    For all the people complaining about the taunt being an exploit....Do it your own damn way and don't worry about it. Jesus, it's just a video game.

Given that they KNEW we would try this because people did it on BRUT....

Given that they JUST patched every tank class to a long range taunt, AND gave HUNTARDS a long range taunt mechanic...

Given that the fight still isn't a complete joke when you do this (you still need everyone "on the ball"/"off the voids" and that the long range taunt tank needs to be dodging lava waves etc etc making it "kinda hard" for them to pull off.

I think this if not "the way" they intended, is certainly "one of the ways" they intended. Though it seems equally likely that they intended you to use a DK tank because they are shiny and new and bliz will probably try hard to require them for half the fights in Uludar and beyond so it isn't lost on us that "thar is a new tanking class".

The way we did it was 4 tanks, druid on sarth, dk on taunt monkey duty, me (in my pally aspect) dealing with the fire ele guys and the whelps (low glory, high stress, my kind of job), Warrior on the drakes (has to tank 2 for a few seconds, thats why god invented shield wall), had a dps warrior tank the guys in the shadow realm.

After learning and mastering the 3D 25man encounter my guild's 10 man progression group has tried and tried to do this seemingly hitting a brick wall as soon as twilight torment has gone up. We've tried everything we can think of for raid composition stacking Casters, stacking Physical, 2-healer, 3-healer, even 4-tank set ups and just can't get past that point.

Our DPS has improved significantly over our first few attempts and we can reliably get Tenebron down just at or shortly after Shadron lands. Shadron DPS is slow simply because people will kill themselves from the reactive damage.

Our normal raid composition that has produced best results has been

1 DK tank specced for improved CDs, 1 Paladin tank for Blazes and Whelps, and 1 Warrior tank for Tenebron, Shadron, and Vesperon.

3 Healers - 1 Restoration Druid normally healing Blaze tank, Rolling hots on the Drake tank, and raid healing. 1 Restoration Shaman healing the Drake tank and raid. 1 Discipline Preist healing the Sarth tank.

4 DPS - Affliction lock, Combat Rogue, Survival Hunter, and Unholy DK.

We've expieremented too with having an addition hunter in the group and having the Unholy DK tank and DPS the blazes and whelps with some success.

Is something massively flawed in our set up or is there something else we should be thinking about?

Just a question, approximately what would be the travel time on distracting shot from 41 yards?

Seems as if they have increased the breath range. I guess this is a class that only a hero class is supposed to tank.

+ Reply to Thread