+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsidian Sanctum Sartharion (3 Drakes)

Obsidian Sanctum Sartharion (3 Drakes)

Sartharion's Drakes & Acolytes
    Sartharion three drakes provide these buffs while they are still alive:
    • Tenebron: 100% additional Shadow damage. We consider this important because our drake tank can take considerable shadow damage if he takes the breath from two drakes at a time.
    • Shadron: 100% additional Fire damage. This is incredibly dangerous if your tank is taking Sartharion's breath. Shadron's Acolyte, while alive, is a passive 50% additional fire damage taken.
    • Vesperon: 25% reduced Health. Vesperon's Acolyte, while alive, is a passive 75% additional damage from Sartharion's breath, as well as the Twilight Torment debuff, which causes reactive damage to raiders on their outgoing attacks.

Healing (Courtesy Kalani)
    Sarth tank: 2 healers. Preferably Priest(Disc) and Pally
    Drake tank: 1 main healer and 1 raid/tank healer
    Add tank: 1 main healer and 1 raid/tank healer
    Raid/Portal tank: 1 healer

The Sarth tank healers stand to the right of the tank.
    Drake healers stand to the left of Sarth's left leg in the center near add tanks.
    Add tank healers stand stand to the left of Sarth's left leg in the center near add tanks.

Now some tips for making healer jobs easier:
    1. Priest(s): prioritize "Guardian Spirit" for tanks.
    2. Priest(s): discipline spec is good for reducing Sarth tank damage.
    3. Paladin(s): "Righteous Fury" to grab a majority of the healing aggro to make add tank job easier.
    4. Paladin(s): "Holy Light" glyphs are good for raid healing with beacons on tanks.
    5. Paladin(s): "Beacon of Light" on tanks and/or the "Righteous Fury" healing paladin.
    6. Paladin(s): "Sacred Shield" on tanks.
    7. Paladin(s): "Divine Shield" with "Divine Guardian" spec'd for accidental breaths.
    8. Druid(s) instants saved for tanks or healers.

Everything else from other healers is self explanatory. Just know your class.
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Thank you for the work, I look forward to checking it out when it's ready!

OMGOSH, so excited!! Cant wait.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

Very cool video, good job Cider.

Great video, can't wait for the HD version.

I liked how well you illustrated the safe zones on the edges of the island. My melee DPS has had a hard time understanding where these spots are, and now I have a reliable source to send them to so they can not get hit by the lava wall and complain "there's no way to get back to the middle in time!!"

This is a great fight, filled with the complexity and coordination we've come to expect from Blizz in their end game content.

Congrats on your title!! And now waiting for Ulduar begins...

Updated w/ the non-HD version. I can't believe how hard reds are hit w/ encoding, so as the original post suggests, make sure to watch it again in HD.

FYI Cider, typo in your timeline.

1. Sartharion pulled and positioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    FYI Cider, typo in your timeline.

1. Sartharion pulled and positioned.
    Thanks! Fixed!

Nice idea with the taunting thing thanks for sharing. Do you had problems with taunting timing with the sart tank causing repositioning problems or with taunting and still getting breathed?

It's a great strat for guilds without the DPS to kill Shadron before Vesperon lands with the changes to twilight torment, will help a lot of people with problems with the encounter.

very nice work as always, we have downed him several weeks in a row now. how ever this seems like a new way of doing things and i for one will be giving it a go this week. Very innovative would of never though of using taunts on sarth to avoid breaths. Make that Dk tank go aoe tank whelps thats his job!

Pretty clever strategy thanks to all these taunt changes! I'm actually hoping nothing of this sort is possible in Ulduar and such, but here it's cool. I didn't expect you to be the specific tank in your raid to do this type of role though, wasting all that pretty in plate.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

I don't fully understand. Casting mobs don't change targets if they are taunted mid-cast, are you saying they turn around but not change target?

Quote Originally Posted by Myko View Post
    I don't fully understand. Casting mobs don't change targets if they are taunted mid-cast, are you saying they turn around but not change target?
    Sartharion works differently it seems, and several other mobs do. I believe if it's not a specifically targetted ability, you can face them wherever and the spell will go the direction they're facing, as it actually emanates outward from them in a set direction.

Example is Sartharion's breath is a large cone of fire out from his face, so if his face changes direction, it will shoot the other way.

Different behaviour contrasting to that would be Kel'Thuzad's frostbolt. If he starts channeling on someone and then is taunted, the frostbolt target is still on the original target, and doesn't switch.

A very literal and easy way to understand is to emulate it as a player. Take a fire mage specced for Dragon's Breath (how coincidentally useful). Let's make him a boss mob. He likes to channel fireballs at you repeatedly. The fireball will always hit the target he was looking at when he started the cast, even if taunted. You can run around, spin him around, flail about, and it'll always hit you.

Now lets say sometimes Boss Fire Mage likes to throw in a Dragon's Breath now and then as his "special". As long as his target is sitting there in front of him, it'll always be hit by the Dragon's Breath (and anyone else close by). But if he turns around, or you run him around a corner or something and he still wants to use the dragon's breath, he'll just shoot it out in front of him regardless of what he's facing or where you are, which could hit all kinds of targets, or none at all.

A realistic example of that as an actual boss would be Grobbulus, which people may more commonly see, and now Sartharion if you use this taunting strategy.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Is this strategy viable for 10 man encounter, and if so what group makeup do you use as far as 2 tanks 2 heals 6 dps, 3 tanks 3 heals 4 dps etc?

I was actually surprised it worked this way when I saw it happen last night in our 3d10man kill.

I had always assumed that the boss needed a target for this and it was determined when the cast began, likely the same mechanic for Malygos but much less useful... I've never seen Grobbulus slime the raid during a mutating injection or when hes repositioning which is probably part of what fueled my incorrect assumption (since even if hes targeting someone else he still slimes me).

Very interesting though.

Quick question on your tanking setup. Obviously yourself and your feral are dealing with Sartharion himself, but how many of the remaining three are use for the drakes and adds?

As another note. Is it only me that for some reason with the narated version has some extreme amount of static rather than the actual speach used in the video? I'm seen this problem as of late for a few other things as well so it's most likely a problem on my end, but I can't figure that out.

Second edit.

It appears I only have this problem when played on Windows Media Player.
    Last edited by Ezimodnar; 02-03-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    >8< Spider Pride!
    Dr D. L. Kazzak wins a Nobel Prize for his discovery that indeed, all mortals will perish.

I just can't even imagine how hard this is with a 10-man group.

My guild just had our first OS10 run last night, which was very exciting, but this. was. awesome!

One question I had, you mentioned putting vigilance on the Sarth tank in order to help you control adds, or least that's how it sounded, I've only had a chance to watch once.
    How does that work? Is it along the lines of gaining threat with a whole pack of linked mobs by attacking one? Either way, if I heard that right, it's a huge tip for me. The one time I add tanked in a pug, I felt like I sucked it up pretty hard.

Also, it looked like you purposely jumped in the magma a couple times, even though it seemed like the edges of the island were safe zones. Was this to avoid the breath after you had taunted Sarth, or was there something else going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    One question I had, you mentioned putting vigilance on the Sarth tank in order to help you control adds, or least that's how it sounded, I've only had a chance to watch once.
    How does that work? Is it along the lines of gaining threat with a whole pack of linked mobs by attacking one? Either way, if I heard that right, it's a huge tip for me.
    It's not the threat component, but the taunt refresh that makes the difference. Being able to taunt basically every 2 seconds makes cleaning up adds pretty simple.

Isn't using taunt in this fashon some sort of exploit, or at least un-intended. Wasn't Brutallus fixed for the same reason? They may extend the range of the breath.

I tank Sartharion as prot war and they burn Shadron so fast that I use Shieldwall on first breath and if breaths are too fast and dps slack we have setup a rotation of guardian spirit and Hand of Protection from my healers. Last kill it was enough with shieldwall, DKs needed, ya right

+ Reply to Thread