+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Tankng, Surv. Vs. Threat

Blood Tankng, Surv. Vs. Threat

I have recently repsecced blood for tanking. It's been working quite well, my primary healer that I group with for all heroics said it's amazingly easier to keep me alive prior to when I had been an Unholy tanking spec (Possibly due to the use of Rune Tap/Vampiric blood?)

However, what I have run into is threat problems. It's not so much single target due to the ability to Runestrike constantly, but boss encounters the spawn multiple mobs (IE: AN Final Boss, First boss in Old Kingdom)
    it seems as if I'm having trouble keeping aggro on the elites. So far to try and minimize this problem I've been tabbing through to heart strike/death strike each mob to keep sufficient aggro on them.
    Right now my rotation generally consists of
    DnD > IT > PS > Pestilence
    then once runes are up...
    Pestilence > Death Strike (tab) > Death Strike > Heart Strike
    keep in mind I'm switching targets between the two cycles to keep Pest going on two different targets to minimize the amount of re-applying diseases.

In most recent events, I've been having trouble keeping aggro against other death knights. It seems once they lay DnD down, it becomes significantly harder to stay ahead.
    And really any class that has a AoE similar to that of DnD (Ret pallidans using Divine storm) and even if they only grab it for a split second, it still instills in my mind that they're incredibly close to me in threat, and that's not good.

So my questions are

1. Should I worry if this is only happening early on in the pull like around 6-10 seconds in?

2. Is there something wrong with my rotation that I should fix?

3.Are my talents sufficient for threat gain?

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

and if this link is not working...
    Blood (48 points)
    Butchery - Rank 1/2
    Whenever you kill an enemy that grants experience or honor, you generate up to 10 runic power. In addition, you generate 1 runic power per 5 sec while in combat.

Blade Barrier - Rank 5/5
    Whenever your Blood Runes are on cooldown, your Parry chance increases by 10% for the next 10 sec.

Bladed Armor - Rank 5/5
    Increases your attack power by 5 for every 180 armor value you have.

Two-Handed Weapon Specialization - Rank 2/2
    Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 4%.

Rune Tap - Rank 1/1
    Converts 1 Blood Rune into 10% of your maximum health.

Dark Conviction - Rank 5/5
    Increases your chance to critically hit with weapons, spells and abilities by 5%.

Death Rune Mastery - Rank 3/3
    Whenever you hit with Death Strike or Obliterate there is a 100% chance that the Frost and Unholy Runes will become Death Runes when they activate.

Improved Rune Tap - Rank 3/3
    Increases the health provided by Rune Tap by 100% and lowers its cooldown by 30 sec.

Spell Deflection - Rank 3/3
    You have a chance equal to your Parry chance of taking 30% less damage from a direct damage spell.

Bloody Strikes - Rank 3/3
    Increases the damage by 30% and the bonus damage from diseases by 60% of Blood Strike and Heart Strike, and increases the damage of Pestilence by 60%.

Veteran of the Third War - Rank 3/3
    Increases your total Strength and Stamina by 6%, and your expertise by 6.

Mark of Blood - Rank 1/1
    Place a Mark of Blood on an enemy. Whenever the marked enemy deals damage to a target, that target is healed for 4% of its maximum health. Lasts for 20 sec or up to 20 hits.

Abomination's Might - Rank 2/2
    Your Blood Strikes and Heart Strikes have a 50% chance and your Obliterates have a 100% chance to increase the attack power by 10% of raid members within 45 yards for 10 sec. Also increases your total Strength by 2%.

Hysteria - Rank 1/1
    Induces a friendly unit into a killing frenzy for 30 sec. The target is Enraged, which increases their physical damage by 20%, but causes them to suffer damage equal to 1% of their maximum health every second.

Blood Aura - Rank 2/2
    All party or raid members within 45 yards of the Death Knight are healed by 4% of the damage they deal. Only damage dealt to targets that grant experience or honor can trigger this heal.

Vampiric Blood - Rank 1/1
    Temporarily grants the Death Knight 15% of maximum health and increases the amount of health generated through spells and effects by 35% for 20 sec. After the effect expires, the health is lost.

Will of the Necropolis - Rank 3/3
    Damage that would take you below 35% health is reduced by 15%.

Heart Strike - Rank 1/1
    Instantly strikes the target and his nearest ally, causing 60% weapon damage plus 220.8, and an additional 110.4 bonus damage per disease.

Might of Mograine - Rank 3/3
    Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Blood Boil, Blood Strike, Death Strike, Heart Strike, and Obliterate abilities by 45%.
    Frost (11 points)
    Improved Icy Touch - Rank 3/3
    Your Icy Touch does an additional 30% damage and your Frost Fever reduces melee and ranged attack speed by an additional 6%.

Toughness - Rank 5/5
    Increases your armor value from items by 15% and reduces the duration of all movement slowing effects by 30%.

Icy Reach - Rank 2/2
    Increases the range of your Icy Touch, Chains of Ice and Howling Blast by 10 yards.

Lichborne - Rank 1/1
    Draw upon unholy energy to become undead for 15 sec. While undead, you are immune to Charm, Fear and Sleep effects, and your horrifying visage causes melee attacks to have an additional 25% chance to miss you.
    Unholy (12 points)
    Vicious Strikes - Rank 2/2
    Increases the critical strike chance by 6% and critical strike damage bonus by 30% of your Plague Strike, Death Strike and Scourge Strike.

Morbidity - Rank 3/3
    Increases the damage and healing of Death Coil by 15% and reduces the cooldown on Death and Decay by 15 sec.

Anticipation - Rank 5/5
    Increases your Dodge chance by 5%.

Epidemic - Rank 2/2
    Increases the duration of Blood Plague and Frost Fever by 6 sec.

Any help at all would be appreciated =]

im not sure what the problem might be apart from maybe your hit and expertise are very low?
    im specced Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft and tho i may have better gear if your just doing heroics, i sit between 6-7kTPS with out too much problem, so far i have found it by far the best spec for my DK i have about 32k health unbuff, 40k raid buffed, high TPS and pull about 3k DPS in raid, (not sure about heroics, but i would think 2k ish?)

once you are def cap go for expertise and hit and your threat will improve alot if thats the problem

Yeah I'm not even in Full heroic gear. I have sub par blues but am Def capped at least. I don't have much hit but around 20 expertise. (Not rating, skill)
    I'll try to gear up and see the difference then, maybe some actual epics besides the dodge trinket from badges would help =P

+ Reply to Thread