+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Hey guys, I need some feedback please.

One of my guild healers (Holy Priest) has been having a hell of a time healing Heroics. Ive been doing my best to help him out as far as getting gear. I even tried to help him with his spec. He changed some things around and went to a mixture of Disc/Holy. As it stands now, He doesn't run out of mana as fast (which was a huge problem before) and his HPS have improved quite a bit. He even upped his SP.. but Ive noticed his heals don't hit as hard.

So we're running Heroics, and I'm tanking just like always. But I keep dying on Bosses. Ive never had that problem with our other guild healer (Resto Druid) or any Pug that I've run. So I start watching my health neverously and during a boss fight I see that Im sitting at 32% for 6 Seconds. So I pop Last Stand and Enraged Regen. It took 5 more seconds to get a heal. I looked at who he was targeting and sure enough it was our Fury Warrior.

What really struck a chord though was after the run my Holy Priest tells me that I get hit more than any other tank he's healed. Ive never been told this by any of my healers.. ever.. If it's true.. I have no problem doing what I can to fix it. But it just seems odd, that this Holy Priest seems to be the only healer we have or that Ive encountered to wait that long to heal their tank.

Im sure my Avoidance stats could use a little fine tuning, but for the content that Im doing (Namely Heroics) I should have very little issue.

Im Defense Capped
    23323 Armor
    21.25 Dodge
    17.20 Parry
    15.60 Block
    Is what I was sitting at when he told me that..

What do you guys think? and Thanks for your time.
    There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Armory links are helpful, but looking at your stats you should be fine. Sounds like a healing problem to me.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

It could also be a dps problem.

Most bosses these days do avoidable or minimizable damage to the dps. You said the priest was targeting the fury warrior; my question is why? My gut says this has something to do with the problem. It shouldn't take 11 seconds for the priest to switch to the fury warrior, drop a heal, and switch back, and if you actually sat at 32% for 6 seconds, you're probably more than geared enough to do the instance.

Was this a boss that spawns adds, even trivial ones? Had the fury warrior picked them up instead of you? Fury warriors (along with ret pallies and most dk specs) do aoe damage as a regular part of their rotation. If you're slow to pick up an add with pretty much any melee dps other than a rogue, that add's going to be on them really quick.

Was this a boss with any kind of magic aoe, like a blizzard, that the dps could have been standing in? If so, perhaps the priest was trying to keep the dps up, too, and needs to learn that in five mans a dead tank is a wipe, whereas one dead dps is a longer kill.

Regardless, eleven seconds is a long time to go without a heal on a boss fight. Your numbers look fine for heroics. But I'm really curious what situation, other than a silence, could result in you not getting a heal for more than eleven seconds on a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Eemo View Post
    It could also be a dps problem.

Regardless, eleven seconds is a long time to go without a heal on a boss fight. Your numbers look fine for heroics. But I'm really curious what situation, other than a silence, could result in you not getting a heal for more than eleven seconds on a boss.

Exactly my feeling. 11 seconds is a VERY long time to not get healed. Most would argue that the best Mp5 is strong DPS and I would agree, however 11 seconds is an eternity.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

let the fury warrior die, its the only agro reset they have.

Sounds like a healer problem, not knowing where to prioritise his heals.

Edit: Another thought, is he using any healing addons, or UI ones? My healing picked up a lot on my Shaman when I switched to Clique + xperl. But either way, he needs to know that if the tanks not getting heals keeping the DPS alive isn't going to be much use.

Just to fill you in, we were in H Gundrak.. This happened on last boss Gal'Dalah or whatever his name is.. He wasn't in Rhino Form or anything. The first attempt we wiped because I was watching the fight not my HP. The Second time when I was watching my HP was when I noticed I wasn't getting a heal. But nothing else spectacular was going on. I could completely understand such a delay if say he lagged out or something. But nothing like that was even said. At any rate. We finished the Heroic and after that is when he pretty much told me I was a bad tank. Also, just to add.. He had the Fury Warrior targeted for about 4 to 5 seconds before then switch to another dps and then finally back to me. I popped Shield Wall at 32% and then Last Stand and Enraged Regen. So I wasnt really getting hit during that time.
    As for posting an armory link.. I don't know how =(
    There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

He could be referencing a previous run he did where the tank had a chain of avoided blows?

The last boss can also be easily disabled with just well-timed disarm and moving out of Bladestorm. The group should also close in when he is in rhino form. If the dps is solid, he may not have much time out of his disarmed debuff to do any real damage.

The fury warrior (warrior! of all classes!) should know to move out of bladestorm as soon as he see a cast bar ... The dps should really only take charge damage.

Gundrak you have to watch your health. The healer could always take an impale, leaving you with no heals (and he's gonna have to heal himself when he comes down).

If you take the WW you get a really strong dot that also stacks. I usually eat it, but if your melee does too your healer might have a panic attack, he also might expect tanks to avoid that dot. You can disarm him before or during the WW, it won't stop him from applying the dot though.

Rhino phase, you guys get thrown around like pinballs, so he could just be out of range, so I wouldn't necessary assume he was healing the fury warrior like a moron (no retarget while he runs closer to you perhaps?).

I can't find any info on this, but I've charged back after the knockback on rhino form and gotten insta-gibbed. I'm not sure what happened to take a 20k+ hit, so that's another place to watch out for. Since then I just try to kite him around or blow cd's during rhino form.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I can't find any info on this, but I've charged back after the knockback on rhino form and gotten insta-gibbed. I'm not sure what happened to take a 20k+ hit, so that's another place to watch out for. Since then I just try to kite him around or blow cd's during rhino form.
    If people are far away from him, he will charge them and do hugely increased damage.
    I'm not sure if he charges to them and then charges back to you, or if he has the buff "left over" from when he one shot whoever was too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by soliduck View Post
    If people are far away from him, he will charge them and do hugely increased damage.
    I'm not sure if he charges to them and then charges back to you, or if he has the buff "left over" from when he one shot whoever was too far away.
    Ya, that sounds like what happened. He was charging all over the place that try. Lol, I've never had groups who collapsed during rhino phase to avoid the charge. So I guess that time he just went back and forth and we got unlucky. I'll be sure to tell people what's up next time I go there.

Point remains - you might take extra damage based on not knowing all the details in an encounter, just like I caused a wipe by not instructing the group properly. These things have nothing to do with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Gundrak you have to watch your health. The healer could always take an impale, leaving you with no heals (and he's gonna have to heal himself when he comes down).

If you take the WW you get a really strong dot that also stacks. I usually eat it, but if your melee does too your healer might have a panic attack, he also might expect tanks to avoid that dot. You can disarm him before or during the WW, it won't stop him from applying the dot though.

Rhino phase, you guys get thrown around like pinballs, so he could just be out of range, so I wouldn't necessary assume he was healing the fury warrior like a moron (no retarget while he runs closer to you perhaps?).
    Sorry, I had to quote the whole thing. Because he's right.

The blame-the-healer-no-matter-what attitude here in Tankspot is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicatesse View Post
    Sorry, I had to quote the whole thing. Because he's right.

The blame-the-healer-no-matter-what attitude here in Tankspot is a real shame.

I started this post to see if I was lacking Avoidance for this encounter. I really don't want to blame my healer. It may have come out that way through frustration. The healer is my Brother in Law and close friend. What amazes me is when ever he is healing our heroics we wipe. When my other healer is running with us, we never wipe. When I PUG heals, we never wipe. But when he told me pretty much that I'm a bad tank is when I had to ask about my avoidance. Between now and then Ive talked to my other healer and he said that he has never had an issue healing me.. He's never been worried about my health.. and that He doesn't understand why the Priest would be having such a hard time.
    I do everything in my power to take care of my healers. The last thing I want to do is blame them for something I should be taking care of.

As far as the encounter itself. Gah'dalah wasn't in Rhino Form when all of the previous stated things were happening. Whenever he would knockback I would charge right back. My healer was not out of mana, nor at anytime was I out of range. I just don't get it.. but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the feedback, Im just going to let it go. I decided Im not going to run with the Priest anymore considering he thinks Im a bad tank and I think hes a bad healer.

First sign of a bad healer is healing the dps before the tank.

There's really no reason to eat the bladestorm on Gal'darah. It stacks a really nasty bleed dot.

He moves pretty slow while he does it, so it's very easy to get out of range, or at least I've always found it to be. I like to tank him right around the altar he's in front of and just strafe to one side when he bladestorms.

Ranged dps can spread out in an arc, melee dps strafes the other direction when he starts the bladestorm

It's a pretty heal intensive fight - maybe the healer was trying to top off the group members that had been impaled during the previous rhino phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Im Defense Capped
    23323 Armor
    21.25 Dodge
    17.20 Parry
    15.60 Block
    Is what I was sitting at when he told me that..

What do you guys think? and Thanks for your time.
    Drop all your mitigations by 1% and lose about 500 armor, and that's my stats. My healer (straight holy, when she's online) doesn't have any problem healing me in quest blues and two heroic drops.

That tells me it's not your gear.

Having played a priest at 70 doing heroics and now playing a tank at 80 tanking heroics and raids I can't honestly think of a good reason why you shouldn't get a heal in 11 seconds. For my money that smacks of him making a serious mistake rather than you being a bad tank.

I don't blame healers very often unless I feel they are being slack, I've walked a mile in their shoes and understand some of the issues that they face but off the top of my head I can't think of any good reason why he wasn't healing. It doesn't matter if he didn't expect you to take that amount of damage, his expectations are secondary to what is actually happening and any healer who has healed in heroics knows that if the tank dies the dps won't last long so better to lose one of them than the guy who can hold the aggro and take the hits.

+ Reply to Thread