+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marking in WotLK

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrum View Post
    Playing a class is one thing, but I was under the impression that a tanks job, be it a PUG or guild run, was to direct the group in the best manner to kill things

Calling things like marking a crutch is just foolish, and I can't imagine that method of play being any fun. Then again, perhaps you're a professional WoW player, I don't know.

I only use CC nowadays if the DPS isn't up to snuff, otherwise I mark for focused fire on the targets when necessary.

I use F5-F12 for the target marking, and it is so easy to do that I mark them even for guild runs nowadays.
    I bolded the logical fallacy.

My job is to hold mobs off the healer and the dps job is to not suck.

If a dps is not sucking they will never pull aggro.

I'm generally so far ahead on threat I don't really need to worry about marking. Things like the poison throwing adds in AN, or the spellflinger guys with the 20k shadowbolts that need to be interrupted or burned I will, but generally as long as the dps waits 2-3 gcd's before going balls-to-the-wall on the aoe we're fine.

I use luckycharms2, it's a great addon and I love the ready check. For the keybinders, is marking really a high enough priority you want to waste like 9 keybind slots on it? Don't you have better things to put on there?

Just thinking about all the abilities I use regularly: hammer, shield slap, holy shield, consecrate, 2 different judgements, 2 different taunts, 2 different hands, bubblewall, holy frisbee, cleanse, avenging wrath, 2 on use trinkets, 3 seals to switch between/reseal on fights longer than 2 minutes, exorcism and holy wrath for the undeads, hammer stun, lay on hands, health pots, mana pots......... Anything else I'm missing? That's a lot of slots if you keybind everything.
    Last edited by Balog; 02-02-2009 at 08:33 AM.

It depends on the run, the players and my mood if I will mark. I have F5-F12 bound as my marking hot keys. What I have taken to in heroics is to mark a focus fire target with skull and maybe a second with X as I am fighting them. After there are no marks it is safe to AoE. If I am lazy and don't feel like marking I will tab through the targets and check my threat on omen. If any one is getting close on threat I drop a high threat move on it, otherwise I just drop a devastate.

We don't mark in 25s any more unless it is for tanks to pick a target.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonempire View Post

Logical fallacy, uh?

It's a tank's job to keep the group alive -- as a group. Not just the healer. It's the job of the DPS to do as much damage as possible while not drawing aggro. It's the healer's job to keep everyone on their feet. You do not exist in a vacuum; you can't simply say, "I'm doing my job, so they're the ones sucking." Cooperation is key.

I don't know about you, but my DPSers never care about pulling aggro if I don't mark. In groups of three or more, I mark the first two targets. I can handle holding aggro even if they cut loose on seperate targets after that, but before that, if I don't, I'll end up losing at least one mob. DPSers who are smart check what mobs I target, but you can't always work with smart people.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I keep skull and X bound to my Ins and Del key at the bottom of my number pad. It's easy for me to take my hand off the mouse and mark the first two mobs of the pull quickly. I usually don't mark more than two, but every once in a while I will mark one for CC. The only CC example I can think of would be the runeshapers in HoL. We struggled with those the first time I was there so we started CCin'g one.

Marks aren't about people "doing their job properly" or "learning to play", they are about communication. Whoever is leading the group (most often the tank in a 5 man, but it could be someone else I guess) will naturally need to communicate to the rest of the group their intentions. Maybe you think that caster needs to die first, maybe someone else thinks the big mortal striking mob should. If you don't communicate, you risk splitting dps and threat, when you should be focussing on a single target.

I wasn't speaking about aggro as much as I was about DPS being too low or some DPS'ers trying to solo a mob so they can set personal records on Recount.

For the DPS PUGs which are too low, the marks are for CC (yes, I will use CC if I see fit after a couple of mobs), otherwise it is a reminder to the DPS people in the group to pay attention.

One of the main reasons I do this is in order to make the run go as smoothly as possible within the skill set of the group I am in. That is a primary responsibility of the tank more so than any other member of the group, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    I'm generally so far ahead on threat I don't really need to worry about marking. Things like the poison throwing adds in AN, or the spellflinger guys with the 20k shadowbolts that need to be interrupted or burned I will, but generally as long as the dps waits 2-3 gcd's before going balls-to-the-wall on the aoe we're fine.

I use luckycharms2, it's a great addon and I love the ready check. For the keybinders, is marking really a high enough priority you want to waste like 9 keybind slots on it? Don't you have better things to put on there?

Just thinking about all the abilities I use regularly: hammer, shield slap, holy shield, consecrate, 2 different judgements, 2 different taunts, 2 different hands, bubblewall, holy frisbee, cleanse, avenging wrath, 2 on use trinkets, 3 seals to switch between/reseal on fights longer than 2 minutes, exorcism and holy wrath for the undeads, hammer stun, lay on hands, health pots, mana pots......... Anything else I'm missing? That's a lot of slots if you keybind everything.
    Balog, that is the reason I use the F5-F12 keys. I don't know of anyone who uses those for game play, so why not put them to use

Additionally, the F5 key can be use for pats that so rudely decide to join the party without a proper invitation while still dealing with the last of the current pull.

Balog, that is the reason I use the F5-F12 keys. I don't know of anyone who uses those for game play, so why not put them to use

Additionally, the F5 key can be use for pats that so rudely decide to join the party without a proper invitation while still dealing with the last of the current pull.

YMMV, I hate moving my left hand off the wasd base in the heat of the moment and prefer to just click marks. But it's hardly a big deal; everyone has to find what works for them.

for ex. you mark skull, cross, cross and star. is it possible to select target with macro assigned to a key? press "k" select skull, press "c" select cross etc

tx

keep it simple.

Particularly in heroics...Nuke target, second nuke target and cc target.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

I don't mark in heroics. Ever. I'd rather the dps learn how to play their class than use a crutch.

That being said, I aoe tank every heroic so marking doesnt matter.
    It really messes up my AoE tanking when some idiot nukes a different target from everyone else, pulls aggro and I have to run over and save them.

For heroics, I always mark skull, cross, square and moon (for dps to follow that order). IMO, it just makes it easier to work that way, and it trains dps to focus fire when possible.

That being said, I usually let the AOE classes go nuts and just end up having the ret pallies/rogues on the single targets.

In raids, I only mark targets that I know should go down first, to make a pull easier (read: shades in DK wing of naxx). In this first tier of raiding, tanks shouldn't need to worry about marking too much, its more of a help to new raiders or folks who are unfamiliar with a zone.

I always mark adds on boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by anomy View Post
    for ex. you mark skull, cross, cross and star. is it possible to select target with macro assigned to a key? press "k" select skull, press "c" select cross etc

tx
    As far as I know, no, it's not.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I personally just mark a skull and an X, most trash pulls are aoe'd anyway but at least it helps the dps focus somewhat.

For a mod I use a mod called Opie which activates a little ring on the screen when you press the keybinding then you can mouse over what icon you want. It does much more though, I use it for presences on my DK, armors on my mage, and for trade skills.

OPie : WoWInterface Downloads : Action Bar Mods

This topic brings to mind a signature I saw on the WoW forums. Goes something along the lines of...

"Ok tankadin, what's the kill order?"

"This room, the next, the hallway, then the boss."

I mark skull, x and sometimes circle depending on size of pull and/or patrol, adds, etc etc.

I also mark crowd control in some situations - hex/repetance casters in CoS for example

I also get laughed at cuz i have a macro that tells pugs kill order and CC =( they lol at my CC /wrist

keybindings/macros > addons. its one less error i have to deal with on patch days.
    /readycheck
    /cast Charge

Quote Originally Posted by Jivatma View Post

keybindings/macros > addons. its one less error i have to deal with on patch days.
    I think I've been using Target Charms, without an update, for like 2 years now .

Calling things like marking a crutch is just foolish, and I can't imagine that method of play being any fun. Then again, perhaps you're a professional WoW player, I don't know.
    People like to AoE, I like to be challenged. So I don't mark .

If I have to mark, then I will (Enh Shammy, Ret pally, Fury warrior will make me look like a newb unless I mark or they assist). I don't use CC unless the healer is undergeared since at this point I'm outgearing heroics and raid trash. But I certainly did when I started out.

Also I make sure to call out LoS pulls so I don't wonder why everyone's dead while I'm hiding alone in the corner. Seems like dps have all forgotten how that works these days .

Edit: to stay helpful I bound my marks to the my numpad back in TBC. It was really great since I was running BF daily and there's really no time to mark the gauntlet properly. I still have them keybound even though I don't use them as much (they are über helpful for a timed CoS run if you you have trouble with aggro or survivabity... why isn't anyone killing the giant abom? guys?)

I recently started marking when I switched to prot spec and started working as a tank. I assign marks to each of the party members ("Hunter guy, you take the star; rogue, you take the orange circle; mage sheep the X, etc.). The skull is always me, and I usually put it on the biggest, strongest mob. I put hunters and long-distance casters on mob casters and distance threats. Everyone has someone to kill, and when they finish, then they come help me. Any mob not marked can also be assumed to be my responsibility to at least hold them on me until the others can join in. I hold threat pretty well, but once the others start in, particularly the hunters, it's hard to hold all the mobs. But most players can handle a 1-on-1 situation if it's not a boss.

I will often take the farthest-away mob for my first target. I do a ranged pull to get their attention, then when they start to come after us, I Charge towards the back guy so I end up in the middle of the group. Then I'll start laying down some thunderclap and shouts before everyone else joins in. If my party holds off for a few seconds, it works very well.

I read a lot here about using marks to determine kill order (skull = 1, X = 2, etc.). That usually means that the entire group is only focusing on one mob at a time and working through them individually. This makes the fight last longer, no? If each person takes their guy out simultaneously, then helps me finish off the leftovers, it seems more efficient.

Am I looking at this incorrectly? I can see how fighting one mob at a time as a group might help keep the entire group of mobs focused on me instead of the squishies because nobody else is attacking them, but then the healer has to work extra hard to keep me alive.

On the other hand, if everyone is taking a beating, they have to heal everyone at the same time.

Thoughts?
    Snackpants, Female Night Elf Warrior, Echo Isles
    My allies are my weapon; I am their shield.

+ Reply to Thread