+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marking in WotLK

Marking in WotLK

Hi, I play a warrior on Doomhammer eu and I am pugging a lot of instances to get to 80. I mark mobs just for dps to know which order to bring them down in. Just want to know if other tanks are still using their marks or whether its just a case of tc, shockwave and demo shout spamming on those types of pulls. Also does anyone know if theres any way I could speed up marking as most downtime is used to do that on easier instances. (eg any settings or add-ons that I may have overlooked.)

press esc and then keybindings. If you scroll down you can keybind all the marks you want. There are addons you can use aswell but i find them slow compared to simple keybindings. With keybinding it's easy to mark as you run from one pack to the next making it all go faster.

As for marking stuff i always mark skull and occationaly i can mark for x if there is 2 mobs i want to kill fast (runeshapers in hol etc). Most people like the tank to mark atleast one mob so atleast mark skull

hi there,

when pugging I always mark 2 mobs, one for dds to nuke down and the other just to be safe
    What I find useful for marking is a macro where you mark your mouseover target.
    E.g. if i want to mark the target I am hovering above with a skull I use:
    Code:
    /script SetRaidTarget("mouseover",8);
    For the different marks just use any number 1-8.
    1: star
    2:circle
    3:diamond
    4:triangle
    5:white mark
    6:blue quadrat
    7:cross
    8:skull

greetings
    karnak

Thanks karnak, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Will test it out next time I'm in an instance.

I skull Skirmishers and AoE stomp everything else -_^

Sometimes I miss the CC needed to get by in TBC, but this has its perks too.

Target Charms FTW. It's a simple mod that puts a scalable target frame on your screen. Just select your target and click the mark. Also adds a readycheck button.

Yeah, addons are extremely easy and don't take up keybindings... I don't know why you would ever go through the work of keybinding and then remembering them.

because remembering keybindings is as easy as remembering the first last names of all your classmates since gradeschool

i use a cool mod called "jude" for marking.

and i occasionally use a mod that auto marks my current target.. sometimes that is the only mark i use.. lets people know what my current target is.

I have my numberpad bound to the various target marks which makes it very quick to mark, but I don't use it in 5 mans unless it's a particularly tricky pull. Instead I hotkey ` (next to 1) to skull, and drop that on whoever I want my single target dps to be going for.

^ That. Numpad is the easiest by far, althought I may give the mouseover a try for skull. 1-8 for marks, 9 is clear. I also rebound my auto-run to R, chat reply to backspace.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

I generally use two marks, skull and X, bound close enough to my left hand to be useful. I use them for current target and next target. Some I know only use one, but in my experience this means there is some confusion between the marked target dying and dps starting on the next mob. My method uses aoe threat to keep above the healer on all mobs, and then concentrated threat on the target mob, adding threat to the secondary target as the first nears it's last moments. This prevents the dps hammering different targets after the first kill. I have a few other marks bound to my numpad for speedy marking of larger groups.
    Better Plate than Leather.
    www.maim.cc

i normally just aoe tank everything without needing any marks.

If i got single target dps'rs they just learn to target my target

i rarely mark unless ive got a group with 3 mages and i decide to CC everything

I use opie, you have to key-bind it yourself I think, it brings up a ring with all your marks. So you target the creep you want to mark, use (for me) shift-t, click the skull with your mouse(if that's the one you are looking for).
    Hope it helped (and was understandable)

Btw, sorry for my bad English/grammar :/ Never been really good at English.
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I use F1-F8 for marks. Every tank has an own mark and the rest are for sheeps/banish (no use in wotlk for CC so far).

In 25 mans we dont mark anymore. we just AoEroflstomp everything and our raid DPS sorta knows what the most dangerous target is. We roll with a prot war and pally and myself a Unholy DK. So me and the pally fight for AoE threat and the prot war tanks the "big" guy in the pull.

the only time we ever mark is with a skull for the annoying pulls (read as Gargs and DK riders) just cuz they actually require focused DPS. Trash is so trival right now that it doesnt matter.

The only time I mark in 5 mans is if we have a PUG DPS or something. Other than that single target follow me or I just find what there attacking. Most ill use is a skull on an annoying mob or call it on vent. Have not CCed a thing in WotLK yet.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

Luckycharms 2 is a great add on, the stand alone version and the Fubar version, if you're of that inclination.

But yeah, I rarely mark stuff unless it's in a pug... which is rarely.

I don't mark in heroics. Ever. I'd rather the dps learn how to play their class than use a crutch.

That being said, I aoe tank every heroic so marking doesnt matter.

Playing a class is one thing, but I was under the impression that a tanks job, be it a PUG or guild run, was to direct the group in the best manner to kill things

Calling things like marking a crutch is just foolish, and I can't imagine that method of play being any fun. Then again, perhaps you're a professional WoW player, I don't know.

I only use CC nowadays if the DPS isn't up to snuff, otherwise I mark for focused fire on the targets when necessary.

I use F5-F12 for the target marking, and it is so easy to do that I mark them even for guild runs nowadays.

+ Reply to Thread