+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot Warrior Weapon Enchant

Quote Originally Posted by f14flier7 View Post
    What tank really gets out threated...? Honestly not a valid point for this topic. If you are being out threated Accuracy wouldn't make a difference; it would be your tanking style~
    That being said from the one who gems for expertise and hit, and hit enchant on hands.

I just threw on AP myself. didn't really need the hit and what harm does a little bit of extra damage to? More to your target that's what

I use a weapon chain on my Last Laugh because I think the blue glow of accuracy looks rubbish. Seriously though if/when we get to the stage that weapon enchants actually matter I'll re-evaluate.

I've got a weapon chain on Last Laugh. It's one thing to say, "Gold shouldn't matter, use the absolute best you can," and to a certain extent I agree with it, but in this particular case, when we're talking about a difference between 15g vs 1000g (on my server at least) for such a miniscule upgrade I just think it's a waste.

If we discover that the only new tanking weapon upgrade from Ulduar will be from the final boss on hard mode or something, *then* I might consider it.

Once you are farming Content Abyssals will rain from the skys...
    Thats when you switch to Accuracy and the guild should pay for it.

Ya know, I've thought about it alot recently and I'm soon to try it out I believe....

Think about this...is 5% less armor really a big deal?

IMO We need someone to run some tests with Berserking on a tanking wep.

Why would you? As has been said before, unless you're having threat issues (which is more likely a style problem than gear) or enrage timer issues (in which case your dps has problems) then there's no reason to get a DPS enchant.

I know that there's all these expertise fanboys around at the moment and it confuses the hell out of me, seems like an epeen issues more than anything else.

My philosophy as a tank is that I should be holding threat on a target that requires me to hold threat and I should be doing everything possible to a) stop myself being killed b) reduce damage to myself sufficiently to allow my healers to stop me being killed.

To that end if I am not having threat issues (which noone should be in the current content) then my primary concern is survivability. When I bring this up with the expertise crowd they say "but hey you're not going to die anyway, that's what healers are for, why not improve your dps!!".

Because i'm not there to dps is why, that's what DPSers are for. Our DPS has been buffed a lot already which is great but that's not our role. Instead I choose to gem and enchant to further increase my survivability. And I then choose to take one or two less healers and bring one or two more dps who will do considerably more damage than i'd ever do if I were trying to maximise my dps while tanking.

So in answer to the post, if you're missing a lot with your specials and it's giving you threat issues then go for a weapon chain or accuracy if you're loaded. Otherwise look at something like Exceptional Agility to give your armour a minor boost as well as some extra crit. From what i've read Mongoose is not stacking up well at lvl 80.
    Raid Leader, GM and Meat Shield. Shadow, Firetree Horde
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://shadowscourge.guildportal.com

Define Expertise Fanboys? Have you ever thought people are just so bored with current content they are having multiple sets?

If you dont have a threat set, you sir are as equally incorrect. Just cause you see a tank in full threat set doesnt mean they dont have other sets. Most decent takes have multiple sets... and if all you have is an avoidance set, then you are wrong....

You should have a threat, high block set, avoidance set, and pure EH set. Since the content is so easy currently, then you will see a lot of tanks only rolling with one. Many of those raiders choose threat/dps because it makes the game more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Slobash View Post
    Why would you? As has been said before, unless you're having threat issues (which is more likely a style problem than gear) or enrage timer issues (in which case your dps has problems) then there's no reason to get a DPS enchant.

I know that there's all these expertise fanboys around at the moment and it confuses the hell out of me, seems like an epeen issues more than anything else.

My philosophy as a tank is that I should be holding threat on a target that requires me to hold threat and I should be doing everything possible to a) stop myself being killed b) reduce damage to myself sufficiently to allow my healers to stop me being killed.

To that end if I am not having threat issues (which noone should be in the current content) then my primary concern is survivability. When I bring this up with the expertise crowd they say "but hey you're not going to die anyway, that's what healers are for, why not improve your dps!!".

Because i'm not there to dps is why, that's what DPSers are for. Our DPS has been buffed a lot already which is great but that's not our role. Instead I choose to gem and enchant to further increase my survivability. And I then choose to take one or two less healers and bring one or two more dps who will do considerably more damage than i'd ever do if I were trying to maximise my dps while tanking.

So in answer to the post, if you're missing a lot with your specials and it's giving you threat issues then go for a weapon chain or accuracy if you're loaded. Otherwise look at something like Exceptional Agility to give your armour a minor boost as well as some extra crit. From what i've read Mongoose is not stacking up well at lvl 80.
    your concept of "because im not there to dps, i should focus on staying alive" is wrong.. just wrong. if you think armor, health, and avoidance is the only way to increase your survivability. you need to rethink your role as a tank.. expertise "fanboys" are not looking to enlarge there e-peen with dps.. more so, they know that expertise will reduce the chance that a mob will get a parry haste, and so they stack expertise to eliminate the chance that they will get into a parry roll.

I use a weapon chain on the current weapon I use to tank. It's not a 'tank weapon' because none of those have dropped for me yet. If/when I get something like RSoC or Slayer of the Lifeless, I'll drop Accuracy on it.

"Parry haste" is just a term thrown about by the fanboys to make it look like they're stacking expertise to increase their mitigation, feel free to run the numbers to see how weak that argument is. It's going to be amusing when Ulduar bosses are smashing tanks into the ground and forcing them to re-gem for more avoidance.

Cattebrie: i'm talking about discussions i've had with other tanks and observations of posts i've read on these (and other) forums. Your multiple set mentality is stuck in the BC ages, if you need a threat set for any content currently available then something is wrong with your playstyle (and I don't mean you personally, I mean in general if any player needs one etc). This may change somewhat in Ulduar as the dps gears up and assuming our threat scales in the way it has been so far. But many of the changes to tanking classes were to avoid having to use a threat set at all so you could focus on gearing and gemming for different styles of survivability (EH, avoidance etc).

Apologies for derailing and being argumentative, I just don't see boredom as an excuse to neglect my primary role to the detriment of the raid.
    Raid Leader, GM and Meat Shield. Shadow, Firetree Horde
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://shadowscourge.guildportal.com

I went a different than most everyone here. I put the orignal potency enchant on mine +20str. Give me AP and BV why not? Both are good for threat and i dont need the hit at this point. That is gonna be my choice til a real tanking enchant is introduced

"Parry haste" is just a term thrown about by the fanboys to make it look like they're stacking expertise to increase their mitigation, feel free to run the numbers to see how weak that argument is.
    The actual survivability gain may be minimal, but parry hasting can cause deadly burst. It's not so much that expertise is going to work out mathematically over a fight to provide avoidance (and therefore damage reduction), but rather that it provides burst mitigation.

[first of all - english isnt my main language, sorry for any typo]

I'm using moongose on Last Laugh, but used weapon chain in others (RSoC or Slayer of the Lifeless).

What I saw (i dont know how to put this on numbers) is: the proc of mongoose increase a bit more BC times. Not sure if this is real, but appears be.
    [PVP-A] Baiakin Warrior Prot
    I'm Brazilian, sorry for any bad spelling!

I'm using unholy, no joke.

Nothing is spectacular enough to really demand that you have it!

+ Reply to Thread