+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Red sword vs slayer of lifeless?

Quote Originally Posted by thedrawrf View Post
    Slayer displays on your back. End of debate.
    ./agree, and i purposely equip the Lorderon shield, though I have better, just to show THREE swords from your back.

Plus the slayer matches my ugly Skull of Ruin!

I'm running Barricade of Eternity with Broken Promise, the shield covers my entire character let alone just my sword :P
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

The Red Sword finally dropped for me last night. Maybe I'll get the Salyer this week too. I'm feeling lucky now.

I take it that both of these are better than the Broken Promise due to the speed factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tankette View Post
    The Red Sword finally dropped for me last night. Maybe I'll get the Salyer this week too. I'm feeling lucky now.

I take it that both of these are better than the Broken Promise due to the speed factor?
    If deep wounds gets nerfed, as I hear it will, yes. If it doesn't...they're close to equal.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrawrf View Post
    If deep wounds gets nerfed, as I hear it will, yes. If it doesn't...they're close to equal.
    Depends really, the stats on Broken Promise - Item - World of Warcraft is quite nice, however the HS swing speed factor also plays into it.... We need some number crunching to back this up.

Ya, didn't mean this to be accepted as cannon, but it's what I've seen around wowhead and the forums.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

Personally I'm using a blue quest reward sword. Broken Promise, Slayer, Red Sword... Last Laugh... I'll take what I can get.

And damn my healer for refusing to go to H UP.

Um, Red Sword has 38 defense to Slayer's 25. Use Red Sword when you're short of the cap. That's the only difference to me.

The minute I got my slayer I stopped attempting to Pug UP. We rarely made it past Skadi and after more than 20 final boss kills in UP, I finally gave up.

No more UP. I'm all set with my slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by AxLxExX View Post
    The minute I got my slayer I stopped attempting to Pug UP. We rarely made it past Skadi and after more than 20 final boss kills in UP, I finally gave up.

No more UP. I'm all set with my slayer.
    I ran UP every day since the day I hit 80. No red sword. Naxx 10? No slayer.

I guess I used all my dropluck when I set foot into heroic CoT4 the minute I dinged 80 (first heroic I tanked), finished the time event like 2seconds before the mob disappeared through the portal, got the drake and got lordearon's crest out of the chest. good times. ever since then it's been a tough time getting tank stuff to drop ..

btt:
    slayer >>>> red sword, it gets extra points for looking that freaking awesome, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Depends really, the stats on Broken Promise - Item - World of Warcraft is quite nice, however the HS swing speed factor also plays into it.... We need some number crunching to back this up.
    There was another thread on this http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...red-sword.html

Conclusion was on certain fights BP won't let you dump rage fast enough. The better stats on BP don't make up for the lost HS volume in that case. Dunno what the breakpoint is. Someone else said he had a spreadsheet on this, but I can't find that post or remember the numbers ATM.

Maybe its just me, (I have both the Red Sword and the Slayer of the Lifeless), I find that when using my Slayer i hit for a lot less damage EACH hit. Thus, my TPS goes down just a little. The red sword actually puts out more threat for me. I'm a Tauren so there is no racial there, its just the higher damage hits end up putting out more TPS.

The hit on the slayer is nice, but I just havent seen it add up to more TPS than the red sword.

But, i agree.. Vanity gets the better of me sometimes and I end up running with it. that or Broken Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatitus View Post
    Maybe its just me, (I have both the Red Sword and the Slayer of the Lifeless), I find that when using my Slayer i hit for a lot less damage EACH hit. Thus, my TPS goes down just a little. The red sword actually puts out more threat for me. I'm a Tauren so there is no racial there, its just the higher damage hits end up putting out more TPS.

The hit on the slayer is nice, but I just havent seen it add up to more TPS than the red sword.

But, i agree.. Vanity gets the better of me sometimes and I end up running with it. that or Broken Promise.
    I highly doubt that you'd find that accurate if you went over a WWS parse of your use of Red Sword vs. Slayer. Unless you're just not using HS in high-rage situations, the higher weapon speed is going to correspond to higher threat. Of course you're going to see a slightly higher damage number with a slower weapon, but its not worth it in the long run.

And it most certainly is canon that Broken Promise < Slayer/Red Sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatitus View Post

The slayer has more dps than the red sword (because it has +4 strength). But because it swing 0.1 second faster each hit really is smaller, around 15 damage. It shouldn't be that noticeable though, as that's something like 7 dmg on a devastate.

If you aren't heroic striking a lot, then red sword will actually put out more threat/dps because the instants hit ever so slightly harder and red sword actually has more hit than the slayer.

Honestly the two swords are virtually identical, both threat wise and survivability wise. Slayer comes out ahead just a little bit in both categories (situational though: not rage starved and don't need the extra def on red sword to maintain 540 def).

Toss Accuracy on the Slayer and forget about ol' Red. As stated above the stat difference between the two is a slight loss of hit and def for a big gain in Dodge. With the enchant the Slayer provides plenty of hit to maximize TPS along with the increased swing speed. Remember avoidance is never bad when tanking the big uglies that like to hit hard and honestly if the the slight TPS/DPS difference between the two no matter which way you claim it falls) is clincing whether you kill a boss before timers then, well, you have bigger problems in the raid than your weapon selection.

Oh and forthe whole loss of defense.. .go get Repelling Charge of Thaddius 10 man and never worry again. I use that trinket with Lavanthors and all my block gear for nasty SS's and AoE fun on trash and still manage 539 Defense. Whoopie one point below cap... never been crit (not even on bosses)

Hit and Expertise may be some of the warrior best threat skills required i would certainly keep your Red Sword for threat build do to the fact if u dodge more u generate less threat and if u got more hit the u generate more threat so ur overall threat is goin up with this weapon, BUT! after u got enough rage just switch it up mid boss fight, more metigation = less dmg taken. In any case there both good weapons, id prefer a Slayer over Red sword, just pop an "Accuracy" Chant on your slayer and you keep a good amount of metigation (more so the mongoose on slayer...i think O.o cant tell you right now) and you also gain more hit and crit, not to mention +4 strength !!!! ... and -1 stamina Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    I don't think that's accurate. This really is all about the Slayer. It's got more avoidance thus more survivability and being 0.1 faster, it's got far superior threat/dps. I'm all for multiple sets so that you can customize your toon properly given the situation, but ultimately you're safe to vendor the Red Sword in this case. The Slayer is superior.
    After a gazillion runs of Naxx this sword finally dropped last night. Unfortunately for me I was healing on my priest alt. I told one of the Pally tanks to grab it and he did even though he didn't think it was better than his Red Sword of Courage. Of course I was remembering this thread and thinking the Slayer was superior to the Red Sword but now I am wondering if that holds true for Pally tanks as well as Warrior tanks?

+ Reply to Thread