+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't tank Naxx without Naxx epics

Dailys... 1 day of dailys would yield you 100g at least...

I hate to say it, but you need to prove that you are serious about tanking

Northrend greens sell for 15g plus on my server right now....I am sure you get at least 1 or 2 every time you run a heroic...put them in your bank, then once a week have them DE'd and sell the mats, or jsut sell them in trade chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Utricularian View Post
    I am getting this all the time. I understand MT'ing a Naxx pug the raid will want to err on more HP, but even OT'ing I'm told I'm not geared enough. I'm a few items short of completely done with heroics. A few badge upgrades here and there, but these are all very minor upgrades in the whole scheme of things. Its beyond frustrating to watch a 700 dps hunter in greens get a Naxx invite and while the pug is spamming LF1M OT they tell me I need 27k hp to go.

Maybe its a bad server, maybe bad play times, maybe I am undergeared and just being greedy. I don't know, but what I'd like to know is this:

Is it too late to tank?

Because I didn't take a week off when WotLK came out to level immediately to 80 (actually was 30 when WotLK came out, reroll) does that mean I just have to sit tight until the next level bump for my chance to tank anything?

Or should I switch to dps and start pilfering leftovers from the pug tanks until my gear is decent enough to finally be acceptable by the blue-geared healers?

This is QQ, but its quite frustrating. So far the only non heroic I've tanked is VoA, much to the entire raid's groaning that I only had 22k hp unbuffed (I kept aggro and didn't die, so f' them). I'm just looking for some suggestions. When I completely max out my gear from non-raids in the next week or two and am still getting turned down from raids I'll likely just say f' it and go play a facerolling huntard

Dont feel too bad I am in a similar boat. I got a lot of good gear but everyone cept my guild healer says I am under geared, in other words they want a tank that has all the gear outta there and can just blow through it so they can get upgrades. I pug heroics all day long and everyone always says they will bring me in on thier guilds Naxx runs and well it never happens, they say "sorry dude your hp is too low"

Gets kinda annoying but I guess I will just keep on grinding out the heroics and get all the badge/rep gear I can.
    btw I am about similarly geared as you, just a bit diff armory link

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonempire View Post
    Honestly, yes, the content CAN be done, by a FULL GUILD RUN in t6

For a PUG? trying to do a 1 night full clear? Your gear is weak. don't blame dps for having greens because dps are not held to our standard, and you cannot change the prevailing attitude that tanks need to be overgeared so that pugs can be carried.

Instead of complaining about dps or other people's performance, get these and then rethink pugging naxx

- HUP legs, LEG ARMOR
    - Badge Neck
    - badge gloves
    - badge chest
    - shoulder enchant (use the scryer one if you don't have Sons?)
    - cloak enchant - titanweave
    - at least get the crafted blue bracers, and for gods sakes ENCHANT
    - get rid of that quest reward blue trinket its ilvl 175
    - lv 78 blue ring .. get rid of it

i don't know what else to say, it seems like you are not taking tanking very seriously
    - Violet Hold's Bolstered Legplates are easy to farm, and easy to get. Use the 55 Stam Leg armor, not the cheaper one.
    - Tempered Saronite Bracers or the CoT 4 Bracers are what I'd pick; more defense rating on those means you can cut out some def. on other pieces to stack stam.
    - Any warrior that's lacking in Stam should be rolling Temp. Titansteel Helm. No excuses. It's not even expensive.
    - Obsidian Sanctum is PUG'd daily. Do it for a Signet of the Accord. Be aware you may or may not get ninja'd on it because it's Bind on EQUIP, and not pickup.
    - Chained Military Gorget is better than everything you can get (imho) until you bump into the Nexus War Champion Beads.
    - Sons of Hodir for sure.

The best way to solve your problem is to not PUG Naxxramas. Naxxramas is not really PUGable unless you get very, very lucky. The fact that you can GET a group for it doesn't mean it's as PUGable as people would have you believe.

Heres my 2 copper on the subject.

Pugs suck. If you want to hone your tanking skills join a guild and put your best foot forward. Offer to help tank heroics to get badges and some epic heroic items. Use your professions to make you money and offer some of the items you make or mats you collect in trade for good gems or help getting some items crafted you cant farm for or make yourself.

You shouldn't expect to just go to Naxx after hitting a few heroics. You are missing enchants on a bunch of your gear and you are still using a trinket that you got at lvl 60 in Hellfire at the launch of TBC.

Tanking takes effort if you want to do it right. Its one of the most demanding roles in the game as far as gear is concerned. If you are not willing to put the time in to gear yourself properly then you should probably take on a different role in the game.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-30-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Did not look at his armory (can't from work) but in his defense I did an OS25 pug yesterday and the ret pally in the group was using Bladefist's breath........

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Grimace View Post
    The best way to solve your problem is to not PUG Naxxramas. Naxxramas is not really PUGable unless you get very, very lucky. The fact that you can GET a group for it doesn't mean it's as PUGable as people would have you believe.
    This was my thought when I read the post. All the comments on upgrading your gear are certainly valid, but to me the question is why you are trying to pug naxx rather than looking for a guild. Naturally, when you go to apply to a guild, all the same challenges will be made about your gear, so the answers here will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatt View Post
    Did not look at his armory (can't from work) but in his defense I did an OS25 pug yesterday and the ret pally in the group was using Bladefist's breath........
    Oh dear.

But then the OP is wearing a trinket from a Hellfire Peninsula quest line which isn't much better.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    This was my thought when I read the post. All the comments on upgrading your gear are certainly valid, but to me the question is why you are trying to pug naxx rather than looking for a guild. Naturally, when you go to apply to a guild, all the same challenges will be made about your gear, so the answers here will serve you well.
    My personal thought is that gear is not as important as skill. It's like when DPS'ers post DPS reports; it doesn't mean anything because it has little bearing on whether they stack up in the right spot on Thaddius; don't walk in front of Sapphiron, and can pick up a stray mob when the tank doesn't see it.

I'm sure the guilds wont' buy that, but if you're level 80 and looking for a guild, there are plenty of upstarts that want to do 10 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by doomwarder View Post
    Dont feel too bad I am in a similar boat. I got a lot of good gear but everyone cept my guild healer says I am under geared, in other words they want a tank that has all the gear outta there and can just blow through it so they can get upgrades. I pug heroics all day long and everyone always says they will bring me in on thier guilds Naxx runs and well it never happens, they say "sorry dude your hp is too low"
    r=Hyjal&n=%C3%82rmor"]armory link[/URL]
    Yes and no.

Sure people want their upgrades. But the point is that naxx, while it can be easy, is a long instance. And if you want to get through there with as little pain as possible in one night and under 4 or 5 hours, you need a people pulling their weight, especially tanks and off tanks.

I was in a similar situation of the OP. I leveled slower that a bunch of my friends and couldn't play until later because of work restrictions. And yea, it took me longer to get into raids because of it. But You have to be Your own harshest critic. You have to be the first one to say "I am not able to pull my weight, I need to gear up first". If you are going into a pug full of 7.5 tanks/dps/healers who just needs an OT to get going, great! You will be fine because the healers will have no problem picking up your slack, but if your pug is similarly geared or even just slightly better geared than you, then your slack will be more difficult to pick up, and could cause wipes. And as easy as it is, a few wipes in naxx can push that place out to a 5 hour clear easy, and thats not something I personally would want to do in an evening.

Basically by asking the group to pick up your slack and saying it will be "fine" you are holding them to a higher gear standard than you are holding yourself. It looks like you know what you have to do, so you just have to knuckle down and do it. People here have already given you advise on how to make money for those enchants and crafted gear, so take a few nights off from heroics an go farm. Run some more heroics on the side when you are not farming and pick up those badge items you are missing. Put as much effort into your gear as you would expect other players to put into theirs.

Skill is important, so is knowing your class mechanics and having the commitment to gear up properly. If you apply to a guild without some easily available huge upgrades to your current set, you instantly beg a question in the mind of the guild officer that is assessing your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Tanking takes effort if you want to do it right. Its one of the most demanding roles in the game as far as gear is concerned. If you are not willing to put the time in to gear yourself properly then you should probably take on a different role in the game.
    Yep. There are only a couple tanks, and when we suck people die. Losing aggro for a second, not picking up adds, mis-pulling etc. Healers can to a certain extent back each other up, and the demands on them are mitigated by good tanks. Dps? This ain't exactly Brutallus; dps underperforming is the least likely to cause wipes. Partly because there are more of them, partly because their role just isn't as vital as ours.

When someone looks at you and sees NO effort (no or little badge or crafted gear, sloppy or no gemming and enchanting, not using profs etc etc etc) they have a right to be concerned. You don't need Naxx gear to tank Naxx: but you do need to spend time grinding badges, doing dailies or old quests for gold etc. You need to be trying, not crying.

Naxx gear is the same quality as Heroic epic gear (minus KT drops).

But heroics don't drop purple helms, shoulders, capes, necks or boots. At that point you have to buy the emblem chest / craft titansteel. Or you could PuG VoA and hope to hit the lottery.

Really, you're an enchanter. I understand going lvl 30 - 80 in about a months means you probably didn't have much time for trade skills... but still that's a huge edge you have over other new tanks that you aren't taking advantage of.

If you lack rep for sons of Hodir, I've been grinding that rep lately. The quests chain just to unlock the dailies rewards a few hundred gold. Now that I unlocked all the dailies, all 5 give over 100 gold as well. Two birds with one stone.

That said though, show up with a flask and a stack of stamina food and the only groups that'll reject you... you probably didn't want to run with them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by doomwarder View Post
    btw I am about similarly geared as you, just a bit diff armory link
    the difference is your really only missing +48 STAM from ring enchants, not 162 STAM.

yes your gear could use some improvement but you at leas have some kind of enchant on just about everywhere.

you're an enchanter who is almost up to the point where you can enchant all your stuff. Browse the AH for enchants that you can make that sell for a lot and sell them. I don't know about your server but on mine +28sp to gloves goes for about 90g and doesn't cost near that to make. Don't flood the market or you'll ruin it, but you should be able to make money while upping your enchanting. Also that trinket needs to go, and perhaps you should run H UP daily for your Red Sword. It's one of the best tanking weapons in the game. Just about everyone here presents a valid point. Really though, if people are rejecting you for pugs coming here and complaining that people say your gear isn't good enough isn't going to make any difference. The problem is that your standards are too low. What may seem good enough for you is not good enough for the rest of the world. Until you gear to meet their needs don't expect a pug to grab you. I wouldn't grab too many crafted epics though if I were you. The stats on them are pretty lackluster for what they cost. If you're having money trouble as it is don't get them because in a lot of cases they're practically side grades compared to some heroic blue drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    the difference is your really only missing +48 STAM from ring enchants, not 162 STAM.

yes your gear could use some improvement but you at leas have some kind of enchant on just about everywhere.
    From what I see on the armory he's missing a belt gem, a bracer chant, a boot chant, a cloak chant, and a shoulder rep chant thingy. all of this on top of missing his ring enchants from his profession. If he reeeeeeeeally can't afford the big name enchants or even the downgrades to them there are always 12 stam kits he can fill the void with on some of these until he has the money for them.

One more thing to add about the being broke, when I dinged 80 I had done 4 zones of Northrend, I still had more to go. Go back to questing and build yourself up a nest egg if you are finding it that hard to stay on top of your gear. As a tank you should always be working on your gear, trying to find ways to get better. Run those heroics till you puke, I have every piece of badge gear I can possibly get for my tanking set, I've now picked up other pieces for off-specs. Even with limited playing ability you should still be able to start stocking up some cash.

I'd seriously recommend doing your quests that you haven't done, additionally start on the Hodir rep if you haven't because come raid time you are going to need those shoulder enchants. To make a long story short quest, I did it, made over 3k which I turned around and dumped into the second profession I had just started at 80. But I always have the cash to put the stam kits, gems, belt buckles etc on any new gear I've picked up.

Get a consistent group together that's on the same times you are and start running heroics with them consistently. As was stated in this thread, tanks are held to high standards, in turn we can hold the rest of our groups to high standards to make things easier on everyone but you are the one that has to prove yourself going in the door first.

Just my two cents

Kel

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    From what I see on the armory he's missing a belt gem, a bracer chant, a boot chant, a cloak chant, and a shoulder rep chant thingy. all of this on top of missing his ring enchants from his profession. If he reeeeeeeeally can't afford the big name enchants or even the downgrades to them there are always 12 stam kits he can fill the void with on some of these until he has the money for them.
    he has the +18 stam kits on most of the places he can put them. Yes there are upgrades for those, and some of them are more Stam, some arent.. but at least he has the +18 STA on em.

The key to this is find a good guild and prove your skills.

A good guild cares more that you can lead them away from the Void zone/fire/poison than that you have more stamina. As I said, there's nothing in Naxxramas which will kill you in one hit that wouldn't kill you regardless of health other than Enraged bosses (DPS failure) or Frenzied Faerlina (DPS failure).

Construct wing is a very good judge of how good a player is; Patchwerk is a gear check, Grobbulus is a "Pay attention" fight, Gluth is an add control fight, and Thaddius is a positioning; coordination fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Grimace View Post
    The key to this is find a good guild and prove your skills.

A good guild cares more that you can lead them away from the Void zone/fire/poison than that you have more stamina. As I said, there's nothing in Naxxramas which will kill you in one hit that wouldn't kill you regardless of health other than Enraged bosses (DPS failure) or Frenzied Faerlina (DPS failure).
    But is a good guild going to accept someone that doesn't even put the time into making sure the gear they HAVE is enchanted/kitted/gemmed the best it can be, before they help that person get the gear they DON'T have? That's the bigger question, as a raid leader I'd honestly recommend doing everything you can to make sure your gear is where it should be before giving you a spot. I don't think I'm the minority in this opinion if I am feel free to let me know.

Kel

+ Reply to Thread