+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't tank Naxx without Naxx epics

Can't tank Naxx without Naxx epics

I am getting this all the time. I understand MT'ing a Naxx pug the raid will want to err on more HP, but even OT'ing I'm told I'm not geared enough. I'm a few items short of completely done with heroics. A few badge upgrades here and there, but these are all very minor upgrades in the whole scheme of things. Its beyond frustrating to watch a 700 dps hunter in greens get a Naxx invite and while the pug is spamming LF1M OT they tell me I need 27k hp to go.

Maybe its a bad server, maybe bad play times, maybe I am undergeared and just being greedy. I don't know, but what I'd like to know is this:

Is it too late to tank?

Because I didn't take a week off when WotLK came out to level immediately to 80 (actually was 30 when WotLK came out, reroll) does that mean I just have to sit tight until the next level bump for my chance to tank anything?

Or should I switch to dps and start pilfering leftovers from the pug tanks until my gear is decent enough to finally be acceptable by the blue-geared healers?

This is QQ, but its quite frustrating. So far the only non heroic I've tanked is VoA, much to the entire raid's groaning that I only had 22k hp unbuffed (I kept aggro and didn't die, so f' them). I'm just looking for some suggestions. When I completely max out my gear from non-raids in the next week or two and am still getting turned down from raids I'll likely just say f' it and go play a facerolling huntard

I inspected you. And u got some nice gear, only youre evasion is kinda on the low side. Health isn't 1st priority, it is good if youre evasion (block, dodge, parry) is good, like 18% minimum on each stats.
    think people prefer more evading tanks then high health tanks that needs to be healed a lot.

if anyone disagree with my opinion please quote it and give some arguments

A lot of people cleared Naxx while tanking in T6 with out too much of a problem.
    Better gear just gives you more room for error.

There aren't too many people who play at the limits of their gear, so it's just easier for pugs to ramble off numbers, and for some reason, they're not yet used to prioritizing capable DPS the same way that they look for a well geared tank to carry them through a zone.

Kaliban's Class Loot Lists: Warrior <--- my first recommendation is look there for gear upgrades. Honestly, you are missing a pretty fair amount of badge/heroic pieces. Another key point is you are not gemmed/enchanted all around (or went cheap on them).

Gimme a min, and I'll set up a loot profile for what you COULD be sitting at prior to Naxx10, and you can compare the two. There is/will be a significant difference.

edit: chardev.org - a World of Warcraft Character Planner - x <--- there ya go, pre Naxx10 gear, enchanted, gemmed, etc.
    Last edited by Volador; 01-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.

I wouldnt invite you honestly.

No crafted gear?
    1-2 heroic epics
    no badge gear?

If i'm running naxx and just plan on spider and plague wing you would be an excellent choice but for a full clear your gear is weak. Your competetion is is much better gear and the raids have come to expect it.

What can you do?

Craft the tempered titansteel helm - its not that expensive and wil be a massive boost to your stam.
    Get the Gossamer trinket and equip it when folks are eyeballing health before invites
    Are your belt,rings and bracers enchanted? cant tell from armory
    If you have run heroics - buy a badge item or two you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Utricularian View Post
    I am getting this all the time. I understand MT'ing a Naxx pug the raid will want to err on more HP, but even OT'ing I'm told I'm not geared enough. I'm a few items short of completely done with heroics. A few badge upgrades here and there, but these are all very minor upgrades in the whole scheme of things. Its beyond frustrating to watch a 700 dps hunter in greens get a Naxx invite and while the pug is spamming LF1M OT they tell me I need 27k hp to go.

Maybe its a bad server, maybe bad play times, maybe I am undergeared and just being greedy. I don't know, but what I'd like to know is this:

Is it too late to tank?

Because I didn't take a week off when WotLK came out to level immediately to 80 (actually was 30 when WotLK came out, reroll) does that mean I just have to sit tight until the next level bump for my chance to tank anything?

Or should I switch to dps and start pilfering leftovers from the pug tanks until my gear is decent enough to finally be acceptable by the blue-geared healers?

This is QQ, but its quite frustrating. So far the only non heroic I've tanked is VoA, much to the entire raid's groaning that I only had 22k hp unbuffed (I kept aggro and didn't die, so f' them). I'm just looking for some suggestions. When I completely max out my gear from non-raids in the next week or two and am still getting turned down from raids I'll likely just say f' it and go play a facerolling huntard
    I do every single fight with 26K and I'm the Main tank. It's not because I couldn't simply slap on more by sticking in the Essence of Gossamer, but because for the most part, it's wholly and utterly unnecessary; there's nothing in Naxxramas that can one shot you that wouldn't one shot someone with 40K. Unless you have a group that's so lazy they refuse to kite Anub'Rekhan and expect to just heal the MT through it because they are lazy.

Battle Shout's going to be overwritten by BoMight, so you can only do Commanding anyways.

If you really are worried about Stam; pick up the Tempered Titansteel Helm. It's got about 255 Stamina enchanted and gemmed for it.

So it is just an example of tanks having to outgear everyone else in the raid?

Will work on it, thanks

Tanks are held to a higher standard than dps. Just the way it is.

That being said, stop random pugging. Even if you can't find a good guild/commit to a raid schedule/don't wanna leave the friends 'n family guild you're in etc you should've made some contacts in good guilds from pugging all those heroics. Sniff around and try to get in on alt raids etc.

the only reason they want a 27K HP OT etc etc is to cover up their own ineptitude. If you have 10 good people, 22-23K self buffed will gitr done. If you have sucky DPS (such as the aforementioned hunter) or sucky healers, then they will need a really good geared tank to make up the diff.

i'd tell them to get stuffed.

He can easy function as an off tank during the wings. my opinion.
    But he can work on crafted gear

it would help if you enchanted your gear, I looked at your armory and I don't see any effort to do so. Plus, at the very least have some of the T7 gear you can buy from tokens. You're very "green", your best chance would be to find a guild that needs a consistent OT so they can gear you up, pugs are a lot less forgiving if the tank is undergeared.

To answer the enchanting question, I am perpetually broke. When I am logged in I am farming heroics. I know most people do not understand that answer, but its the answer. I prioritize enchanting items that will be replaced later rather than sooner, hence no mongoose on a HoL drop.

But yeah, I've been poking around asking for offnight invites. Partially difficult due to just how late I play. All these real world things unfortunately make me unfit to be a top end tank I suppose.

Thanks for the input though. I am reading all of them.

Quick sidequestion if people read this far down, for anyone who's gone from tank to DPS, how was your experience? I've specced TG and Arms a few times along the way and just get frustrated by crappy tanks.

Thanks again, all

Pff...we took a warrior that makes you look absurdly overgeared as our OT to 10 man this week.

He picked up 3 pieces of t7 and still wanted to roll on my death's bite...I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle him. YOU HOOVERED LOOT AND GOT CARRIED STOP TRYING TO TAKE THE ONLY THING I GO TO THAT INSTANCE FOR

Yeah...still a bit irritated by that...not only that he bitched about me getting it...

I haven't spec'd DPS since I started levelling again at 61. I would say DPS spec is more gear dependant than tank spec.

Also, check my edit a bit up the page, it has a pre-made version of you with heroic drops, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Volador View Post
    I haven't spec'd DPS since I started levelling again at 61. I would say DPS spec is more gear dependant than tank spec.

Also, check my edit a bit up the page, it has a pre-made version of you with heroic drops, etc.

Yeah I know what to get, just a matter of time. The main frustration I guess is "why do I have to be maxed out but he doesn't?" This is the reason why I was in favor of keying Kara. Forced people to do something before they got purples...

To answer the enchanting question, I am perpetually broke. When I am logged in I am farming heroics.
    I'm not normally one to talk about people being broke, I run 10 mans to cover the cash I need to pay for 25 mans, but at the stage in gearing that you're at you could: a) run a 5-man and hope for an upgrade OR b) farm for a definite upgrade (be it to enchant an existing piece or to craft a new piece).

I'm pretty sure that the Titanium Weapon chain sells for very little no matter what server or faction so you might want to go ahead and pick that up. Of all the things that I look at when inspecting someone, it hurts me the most to see an unenchanted weapon.

To answer the enchanting question, I am perpetually broke. When I am logged in I am farming heroics. I know most people do not understand that answer, but its the answer. I prioritize enchanting items that will be replaced later rather than sooner, hence no mongoose on a HoL drop.

But yeah, I've been poking around asking for offnight invites. Partially difficult due to just how late I play. All these real world things unfortunately make me unfit to be a top end tank I suppose.

Thanks for the input though. I am reading all of them.

Quick sidequestion if people read this far down, for anyone who's gone from tank to DPS, how was your experience? I've specced TG and Arms a few times along the way and just get frustrated by crappy tanks.

Thanks again, all
    Dailies - Skinning

complete all the quests in all the zones for the rewards (and money) to get/buy enchanting materials.

24 - waist
    18 - shoulders
    40 - wrists
    10 - legs
    22 - feet
    48 - rings

you are missing an EASY 162 Stamina right there.. thats over 1500 HP... all of a sudden your noa a 25.5K HP tank.

If I had looked at your armory (as i do with almost anyone I pug) and seen 162 STA missing from basic enchants/armor kits i'd have passed too.

Being a tank is expensive... REALLY expensive.. i am perpetually broke but I always try to have the best stuff on my gear.

right now i am even missing a couple of key enchants to things I got this week, mainly my bracers.

work on enchanting your gear.. the +18 STA Armor kits to anywhere that will take it that no higher stam enchant is available.. hell even stick it on places that WILL take it that you cannot afford the proper enchant right now... stick something on it.

I'm a few items short of completely done with heroics. A few badge upgrades here and there, but these are all very minor upgrades in the whole scheme of things.
    As people have said, you are far from done with heroics. Maybe you mean you've done them all once and moved on? There's a good reply up further that fully explains what you're missing, but where's the badge gear? I don't even see one piece of badge gear on you. You've got only 2 epics from a heroic, 1 crafted gun (at least you got this)...

This is clearly a case of someone dinging 80, doing a couple heroic dailies, and thinking they can walk into a raid. You really should check out the gear threads here, since all but your crafted gun can, and should, be replaced before you think about complaining about not being invited to tank a raid.

edit: Also, complaining that hunters get invited more easily than you, you have to realize there is almost always way more melee dps than ranged dps lfg for anything. Most fights are get increasingly difficult the more melee you add, so you may want to keep that in mind also if you think a respec will get you into raids.
    Last edited by Astemus; 01-30-2009 at 12:44 PM.

look at your attitude "I'm broke so i dont invest in enchants"

You are just handing ammo to the folks that turn you down - you seem to want to be carried

The fact that you are broke means you may want to put raid tanking off for a bit.

Honestly, yes, the content CAN be done, by a FULL GUILD RUN in t6

For a PUG? trying to do a 1 night full clear? Your gear is weak. don't blame dps for having greens because dps are not held to our standard, and you cannot change the prevailing attitude that tanks need to be overgeared so that pugs can be carried.

Instead of complaining about dps or other people's performance, get these and then rethink pugging naxx

- HUP legs, LEG ARMOR
    - Badge Neck
    - badge gloves
    - badge chest
    - shoulder enchant (use the scryer one if you don't have Sons?)
    - cloak enchant - titanweave
    - at least get the crafted blue bracers, and for gods sakes ENCHANT
    - get rid of that quest reward blue trinket its ilvl 175
    - lv 78 blue ring .. get rid of it

i don't know what else to say, it seems like you are not taking tanking very seriously

+ Reply to Thread