+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sarth3D with a Warrior or Pally MT?

Sarth3D with a Warrior or Pally MT?

Hey guys,

My guild just lost its only DK tank and have no real bear tanks in our guild. We've already downed Sarth3D once (two weeks ago, last week we had scheduling issues that prevented doing him).

I'm just wondering if anybody has any success stories of a warrior or paladin tanking the dragon on Sarth3D, and if so, what level of gear was needed?

We're trying to figure out if we need to recruit/gear up another DK just to resume mount farming, or if we can make do with who we've got.

Thanks!

requires a lot of outside cds i think, but doable.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yup, you either need enough pally / priest CD's to gut through the breaths, or enough DPS that the drakes aren't up long enough to matter. Preferably some combination of the two.

another way you can extend the time is to bring an extra tank to swap for cooldowns

>.>

<.<

Are you horde?

I've been tanking Sarth for 3D since we lost our DK as well. First time I did it I had all my drops in current content except for three or four items. You can pull it off with alot less though. Although DK's and Druids do make MT'ing Sarth easier, doing it with a warrior is fine as well and doesn't make it much more difficult contrary to popular belief.

Since it'll be your first time doing it, I suggest you regem with all 24 stam gems and use Gossimer + Crab if you're a JC. Use a Flask of Lesser Resist over Stoneblood since the 50 extra resist will be alot more beneficial over 650 hp for this encounter due to 25k-30k+ fire breaths. BC Fire resist pots will also help, or an Indestructable potion.

If you want extra assurance, respec and get imp spell reflect for the 4% spell resist. Threat isn't an issue when you tank Sarth so drop the two points out of Cruelty for it. Have your shammy drop his fire resist totem and if he somehow dies during the encounter, have another one drop it asap. Tell your Fury warrior run to you to keep up Commanding on you since he has the five points in CP for the extra hp.

For the first breath when Vesperon comes, Shield Wall thru it. It has a two second cast time so don't slack or you'll get owned if you don't SW in time. If you're topped off, you can easily survive. Save Last Stand for any of the next breaths. Start calling out for your healers to blow their CD's on you one by one. Make sure you're paying attention to when those buffs are about to wear off, so you can call for another one right away when its up. As long as your DPS is good and they can quickly kill the Alcolyte (however you spell it) you'll be fine. You're HP will dip extremely low at some points during the encounter, so don't panic.

Shoot for around 31-32k hp unbuffed if you can, but imo a prot warrior with as little as 30k unbuffed could still pull it off if his healers are good. Good luck.
    Last edited by Kataztrophe; 03-31-2009 at 01:06 AM.

You shouldn't need to use any cooldowns at all till the first drake dies, before than you should be able to survive the breaths. Save your big cooldowns (Guardian Spirit) for the second+third drake + third acolyte. Thats the panic period where you get hit with super breaths. If your guild is lacking the dps kill the third acolyte as he spawns.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its the third one that causes the huge jump in damage when hes up.

a side note - its not really the breaths that will kill you its the melee attacks afterwards that will get you 9 out of 10 times if you managed to live through the breath. Your healers really need to be on top of that.

>.>

<.<

Are you horde?
    Yes, I am :-p

Thanks for the input everyone. We have a warrior at 30.5k without swapping gems around, and for all I know he's got some better HP-oriented gear sitting in his bags. I'm the fury warrior in the guild who respects prot to help on adds (we used to have 2 warriors on adds, pally on drakes and DK on sarth).

What we may wind up doing is making sure we have enough cooldowns to go in between pallies, disc priests and hunters, and bring in the new lesser-geared DK to help me out on adds, and move the warrior to Sarth tanking.

If anyone has any other advice about tanking this fight, please keep it coming!

I've tanked 3D Sartharion roughly 2-3 times now on my Warrior since our Druid tank recently quit WoW. I've found that if your guild has enough DPS to get Shadron down before or right as Vesperon lands you can get away with only one external cooldown. If your DPS takes longer than that continue to add cooldowns as needed. We started out with roughly 3-4 external cooldowns when we were working on the encounter.

Here's a link to my Armory profile: The World of Warcraft Armory

I'm in my threat set right now, but when I get home I'll login and switch over to my effective health set so check back later today.

Gorthus, thanks. If you can, let me know when it's transferred over so I can have a peek

Good advice above. Just Try to shorten the fight so you need the least amount of cool downs to save the tank from the buffed breaths. We usually use a bear, but we still need the cool downs to save him as well.

Having two tanks handle the little adds hurts you in a big way, especially if you're losing a fury warrior to do it. This is just one of those fights that you want to maximize every raid slot and having two people do one guys job is no different than 24 manning it. I would suggest either having the prot warrior on drakes and the pally on whelps/little flame guys or having only the one warrior handle the little adds. The first couple tries with a warrior picking up all the whelps and what not will be a little hectic but once he gets his timing down it should be okay. The obvious benefit there is that you'd get to go in as fury adding 4-5k dps making the fight that much shorter and therefor easier on the group as a whole.
    Of course, once you get the fight down it doesn't really matter; soon you'll be selling the title to guys in greens who die to every flamewall they encounter and wondering how the hell you ever had problems with it in a full guild run.

Having two tanks handle the little adds hurts you in a big way, especially if you're losing a fury warrior to do it. This is just one of those fights that you want to maximize every raid slot and having two people do one guys job is no different than 24 manning it. I would suggest either having the prot warrior on drakes and the pally on whelps/little flame guys or having only the one warrior handle the little adds. The first couple tries with a warrior picking up all the whelps and what not will be a little hectic but once he gets his timing down it should be okay. The obvious benefit there is that you'd get to go in as fury adding 4-5k dps making the fight that much shorter and therefor easier on the group as a whole.
    Well, we had spent a few nights trying it with just one tank on adds, but due to our healer situation we had people dying to incidental damage after Twilight Torment came up. Healing was so intense that there was nobody able to raid heal (unfortunately we don't always have our 7 best healers for every attempt, and sometimes are doing 6 heals with some off-spec healing from Shadow Priests and the like).

Eventually, we were seeing wipes after the 3rd drake landed, but NOT due to the tank being one-shot; it was because the add tank got overwhelmed, or a healer got adds on him, or DPS suicided due to twilight torment (or had to stop attacking and hope for a heal to come in).

As soon as we added the 4th tank, the fight was easy. No issues with stray elementals, healing was much easier all around, and we knew the first attempt with me as prot that we had the fight down. One wipe due to a healer misclick from drake tanks, one wipe due to sarth tank messing up his rotation, and I think we got it the third pull that night.

However, that was with a DK tank, where we were able to make do with one less raid cooldown. I'm not sure how many we had left over after we downed the 2nd drake and portal add.

Quote Originally Posted by ebs2002 View Post
    Gorthus, thanks. If you can, let me know when it's transferred over so I can have a peek
    My armory should be updated.

As for the comment about not running four tanks, I will tell you that the first time we downed 3D we only used three. However the following attempts we used four until our Druid tank quit. So it's entirely doable to use four as you've proven since your first attempt you used four. I would say it's optimal to use three, but the healing obviously has to be there. When do you usually attempt to clear out the adds?

Quote Originally Posted by ebs2002 View Post
    Yes, I am :-p

Thanks for the input everyone. We have a warrior at 30.5k without swapping gems around, and for all I know he's got some better HP-oriented gear sitting in his bags. I'm the fury warrior in the guild who respects prot to help on adds (we used to have 2 warriors on adds, pally on drakes and DK on sarth).

What we may wind up doing is making sure we have enough cooldowns to go in between pallies, disc priests and hunters, and bring in the new lesser-geared DK to help me out on adds, and move the warrior to Sarth tanking.

If anyone has any other advice about tanking this fight, please keep it coming!
    I'm not retarded, can follow directions, have solid gear, and wanting a group of people who actually show up for scheduled raids D:

I'm not retarded, can follow directions, have solid gear, and wanting a group of people who actually show up for scheduled raids D:
    Well, we're having an issue there, too...only 20 people showed up today (luckily, we haven't gotten the dedicated few done yet!) But we're considering a server xfer because we don't start raiding until 9pm server time (west coast people on an east coast realm), and that's making it hard for us to find "pressure people" (people who can take our core raiders spots if they don't show up/follow directions)

+ Reply to Thread