+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warrior Taunt change in 3.0.8a?

I've previously (in the other thread) stated i didnt observe any taunt issues. Tonight i had a few but i think i can pinpoint the problem.

Taunt range got increased. If i taunt something far away, by the time it comes to me, somebody has pulled aggro again, usually the person the mob was heading for in the first place. If i taunt & slam something i'm in melee range, it's for keepers though.

this is also true, remember taunt gives you top current aggro and 3 seconds of forced aggro, if someone overtakes you after those 3 seconds are over and you haven't engaged the mob yet, you'll lose threat like normal.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Did you get a wws from the Arch fight?

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Paladins are experiencing the same thing. I see it happen every so often. Not sure what the cause is, but for some reason, taunt doesn't always push my threat up to the highest or the person holding aggro, though it doesn't resist either cause the target is forced to attack me for a few seconds.
    This (warrior here). It's bloody annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    are you sure you didn't... miss your taunt?

the cloud that Arch drops gives you a 50% chance to miss, and since taunt is based off of your hit chance, you know have a 58% chance - your hit% chance to miss and do nothing.

I'm sure I could have, just seemed to be strange that it was "missing" or not working since this had not been an issue in previous runs with Arch.

Ran a 25-arch tonight and experienced this same thing again. He lunged for our main tank, and I threw down my taunt and rotation with a full rage bar. It took roughly 3-4 seconds for Omen to register my threat. However, nobody had died so there is always the possibility that it is just Omen reporting threat wrong. I'll take a deeper look at it next week and also get a WWS for it. It may just be me watching Omen being the problem here. Either way, it's most surely showing our top ranged DPS skyrocketing past me in threat, then after 3-4 seconds, all of a sudden my threat spikes way up and I'm back on top of the chart.

Will keep you posted.
    (5/13/53) - Awesome pre-raid AOE tank spec for instances

I honestly doubt Omen is reporting incorrectly. It is accessing data using Blizzard's API.

I honestly doubt Omen is reporting incorrectly. It is accessing data using Blizzard's API.
    Well Jere, then explain the situation to me. Why is it that when my normal rotation puts out 5-7k TPS, it only puts out 2500ish after taunting Arch?
    Just to be clear:
    -Not in the cloud
    -Not out of rage(start with a full bar)
    -Not a rotation issue(SB/SS/rev/SW/CB/HS all being popped accordingly)

In nearly every other boss fight besides Gluth and Arch, I have 0 issues with my TPS. Magically, for a few seconds after a taunt on these two, it's as if my rotation doesn't generate any threat over 2500ish.
    Last edited by Tarkonn; 02-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Paladins are experiencing the same thing. I see it happen every so often. Not sure what the cause is, but for some reason, taunt doesn't always push my threat up to the highest or the person holding aggro, though it doesn't resist either cause the target is forced to attack me for a few seconds.
    BTW Jere, it seems to be hunters and warlocks that are the DPS this occurs with too. Though, on Gluth, I find it occurs with the pally tank I run with.

I'm obviously not Jere nor do I know with any certainty what is causing your dillemma as I have never experienced it on either of those fights. But if you're curious about the way omen is intended to work, look at http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...tml#post122582 in which the author of Omen 3 sets me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkonn View Post
    Well Jere, then explain the situation to me. Why is it that when my normal rotation puts out 5-7k TPS, it only puts out 2500ish after taunting Arch?
    Just to be clear:
    -Not in the cloud
    -Not out of rage(start with a full bar)
    -Not a rotation issue(SB/SS/rev/SW/CB/HS all being popped accordingly)

In nearly every other boss fight besides Gluth and Arch, I have 0 issues with my TPS. Magically, for a few seconds after a taunt on these two, it's as if my rotation doesn't generate any threat over 2500ish.
    Take a look at the post above this one. Omen works like this:

1. Omen: Hey Blizz, what's my threat?
    2. Blizz: Well, your threat is 12407698550
    3. Omen: Cool thanks (displays on screen)

If there is an issue, it will most likely be on the blizzard side. I can't explain to you why it is happening (it happens to me still), but I am very sure it has little to do with omen. Omen cannot force your aggro to change, it can only report it, and it gets its values strait from asking the WoW api, so if anything is lying or bugged, it would be the api, most likely.
    Last edited by jere; 02-07-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Note, however, that the TPS numbers that Omen produces are calculated by smoothing the changes in the incoming raw threat values. It could be that something about how Omen does the calculation after a major jump in threat (i.e. after taunt) produces this artifact. But the TPS numbers aren't really important, anyway.
    Learn to science and stop theorycrapping in its tracks.

He was worried about DPS skyrocketing past him in threat itself. Even if the TPS numbers were off due to a smoothing algorithm problem, it wouldn't explain low threat numbers themself. Well at least in his first post he was. If it is just a TPS and not an actual threat problem, then that could be something to look at, but if it is actual threat problem, then it would be something in the API/game itself (assuming an actual problem of course).

Well, after a week or so with patch 3.0.8, I haven't found taunt to be working *any* different than it ever did on my warrior.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Well, after a week or so with patch 3.0.8, I haven't found taunt to be working *any* different than it ever did on my warrior.

Good luck.
    Same to you mav.

+ Reply to Thread