Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Basics for Tank and DPS info from a Main Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Cheskagarcia View Post
    i've been playing wow for 3 years now, less then some, more then most. not that it matters how you choose to play the game or what definitions of being 'good' means but there is a certain niche of players that progress to a definitive norm because of mathematical certainty / awareness.

1st year = learned on my own my own style = noob guilds, lower tier progression
    2nd year = learned from my friends/websites = moderately good progression, thought myself as 'decent'
    3rd year = learned from doing math and numbers based off research when itemizing / raid stacking blah blah to be competitive on meters = a lot better definitely then when i first started playing wow (that's if you consider becoming good a pve an important aspect of being good at wow)
    ya i am at 4 years on wow

year 1 leveling, starting a few low end guilds, and joining a top raid guild while learning from friends and developing my own style

year 2 being one of the top tanks and having a lot of pull with officers / on my way to becoming an officer from deciding not to be lazy / putting in the extra effort, while taking on raid leader responsibilities and being a hardcore raider

year 3 i take over the roll of warrior class leader and main tank, helped with leading while guild was reforming / merging then took the summer off

and year 4 return to class leader/raid leader/main tank and hitting 80 / maxing heroic gear in 2 weeks, and getting my guild into raiding during winter break and we just got down all the halls in 10man naxx this week so we just have to go topside within 5-6weeks of just bringing in whatever we had over a consistent core groups while setting up our raiders, and even though my guild is limited by its size our main thing is just getting down the strats and we down all of that, all while coordinating joint runs for 25man content/gear, trust me if your not able to slacking off without issues at year 4 you apparently need to do some work, and personally i think at that point u should have quiet a bit of pull in ur guild and your server (I've averaged about 20group offers a day to tank in all xpacs with a record of over 53 group offers in one day during BC)

so you don't have to worry about my experience/credibility because before that i had 2 years of experience from the lagfest of everquest ftl with an epic tankadin and ranger

meh

lol 53 heroic group offers one day! (^_^)v made me lol <3

anyway wasn't really trolling your experience, but more about your playstyle. again i'm just pointing out that if you play the game toward mathematical certainty where you want eg. best warrior dps/tps or mitigation or both there are certain researched and tested specs that mathematically max out some of these stats.

not that these will help you down bosses any sooner then the person with downies learning what to do, but yeah, i just consider min/maxing my motivation for continuing a relatively easy game after removing the down syndrome aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheskagarcia View Post
    not that these will help you down bosses any sooner then the person with downies learning what to do, but yeah, i just consider min/maxing my motivation for continuing a relatively easy game after removing the down syndrome aspect.
    If everyone in your raid is playing to their best and min/maxing appropriately and are able to move out of fires, then yes, Min/Maxing will help you to learn HOW to kill bosses faster then the ones with 'downies' as you put it, but also you will be finished with the instance faster and farming it while they are still learning how to clear. So these things DO matter.

The entire point of this site is to find those points where you gain the most for the least cost and be the best you can be. The Math to prove why is very important, you can't just go by 'feel' and 'experience' on a lot of this stuff because at the end of the day we are playing a game controlled by a computer. While there are certain attempts by Blizzard to make it as random as you can get in a computer, it still has to conform to a set of predefined rules. Blizzard does not tell us the rules, but experimentation can lead us to deduce the majority of those rules.

well hoping to get any more input toward improving this post even more

I think you have done something wrong, all of the abilities that you have attempted to link (i.e. 'revenge') show up for me as "The New Tailor Made Servers: Dedicated Servers Done Right. For You.,"

?

honestly i'm not sure what to make of this, its a mash up of a whole lot of crap in a completely illogical layout. if you want people to learn something then do it in steps not a massive overload of everything at once. also half of your information is wrong, including what glyph of cleave even does.

secondly tanking is situational and based on what your guild need, some tanks prefer some things and others have a different method. there is no one right way to do anything. that doesn't mean there isn't more common ways or more popular ones, but your "guide" suggests there is only 1 way to do it.

also my play style is horribly, if the fight isn't an active fight i tend to tab out because of the lack of effort i have to put into tanking after a certain point, i just have to keep timers and my health visible
    you have no right to give any one advice, honestly if you tab out you have no idea the roles of tanks in current content. you think that you're amazing beause you can hold threat? big deal, right now you are just making your self out to be another conceded tank that doesn't actually know what he is preaching.

Edit: i went through and looked at your spec, lol iron will and improved disciplines.
    Last edited by Dreg; 02-02-2009 at 01:56 PM.

As a fury warrior (most of the time) I have a few issues with the talent tree you have there. This isnt TBC, you do not need 5 points in unbridled wrath. You have 0 points in intensify rage. 33% reduction in CD of your best DPS CD's is a huge boost, no points in improved WW... Thats a move used as soon as its off CD, why would you want to gimp that? Also, rend is not usable from the fury tree, and it is a waste of rage to stance dance for such an insignificant talent (If you dont have tatical mastery, which is pretty useless). You need to have the points in Deflection. Now about tatical mastery, you dont need to stance dance as a fury warrior. Having the Arms tree for deep wounds and 2 hand weapon spec is correct. But you spent 5 points so you could switch over to arms and rend? Also i dont like 2 points in imp execute. 1 or 0 is enough in there.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=34003000233000000000000000000030502000550031205312 0501351000000000000000000000000000

That is a pretty similar one to the one I use. I didnt use the last point as people vary with what they use it for. Some like Booming voice, some imp execute, some piercing howl, heroic fury, etc. Also, in the arms tree, the 1 point between iron will and deflection is negotiable. But thats prety much what the tree should look like for a fury warrior. Some utility talents can be debated as some people like cleave for cleaning trash, etc. I dont, because trash is never an issue. Need to max out DPS for bosses and cleave doesn't do it.
    Last edited by IceHaus151; 02-02-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: adding info

YELLOW IS BAD YELLOW IS BAD YELLOW IS BAD

I stopped reading once I saw yellow text on white backgrounds...

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

We also had a post like this spew up a few weeks back. Someone tried getting into the limelight by making a -guide- that was basically full of bad information because they -felt- it was right with basically no math to back it up. The farthest I saw was you saying that you average 3500tps on the single target threat with 1200 to mobs around it.. uhh.. I push about 4500-5K on single target threats and my threat around the mobs dont change much when aoe tanking because i use the same rotation but switch HS for cleave while tabbing through. Maybe its your build, maybe not, but once your dps starts getting geared out, they will be forcing you to min/max further for threat because you'll have people riding you hard on threat....especially arcane mages grumblegrumblegrumble

My suggestion, go back, read more of the guides on these forums, and if you feel that you still need to make a guide, either have math to back it, or don't post. The problem with most of the warrior forums such as the official wow forums, is that its all based off people using -gut instinct- with no real knowledge as to why it may or may not be better, and in most cases its not the correct way of doing something. 90% of information you find on the internet is just made up on the spot (just like that saying) so unless you have math to prove it, you're just feeding more misinformation to people that may not know any better and causing more bad tanks to spawn from it.

Kazey, please lock this thread.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Clic View Post
    like i said on the post that was my old multi-mob tanking spec, it was more an off-tank spec over a main tank spec, roughly had 3.5k tps on the main mob and 1.5-2k on the closest mob to it, and about 1kdps

Also, this... does not fit with the title of your thread...
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

A novel idea, and a compilation of a lot of good info, but a lot of your links are broken, and the great thing about warriors is that nothing is "TRULY" best of anything, it's about your encounters, your raid makeup, and your playstyle. I think leaving the overall information of our forums open to readers everywhere instead of trying to summarize them into small paragraphs of information is a better option.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread