+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Taunt change

Taunt change

Has the taunt spell change in the last patch??

Because I thought a few patches they fixed it to were it gave you the highest threat of the current target permanently. Now it seems that is only for the length of the spell then it goes back to the other target.

Been noticing it on boss fights switching in 4 horseman and on Gluth taunt not sticking. Anyone else been noticing this?

A pretty good summary from Taunt - Spell - World of Warcraft

Taunt will direct the target's attention from whoever it is on, onto the caster of taunt. Usually, a warrior, though druid bears have a similar spell.

Threat wise, this seems to put the warrior at the top of the list, but will not keep it there. More threat will have to be generated to keep a lead on damage dealers, or the mob will return to its previous target (or the next highest on the threat list).

This has, as it states, no effect if the mob is already targetting you, since you already have the most threat!

Some targets, usually bosses in instances or outdoor raid bosses, can be immune to this spell, making the warrior rely on other means to keep the target away from the raid.

really? no its not perma agro other wise i could taunt things and go afk, as cool as that would be i enjoy playing the game

It's possible to be tanking but not be #1 on the threat list; say if a ranged DPS is at 120% of your threat level, the mob will still have you targeted.

Anyway, taunting makes the mob target you and sets your threat equal to number one on the list. You'll continue to be targeted for the duration of the taunt, but then normal threat rules will kick in again.

What this means is, if you lose threat, taunt FIRST, then use shield slam and your other abilities to lay additional threat onto the target. If you slam first and then taunt, the extra threat from the slam can be lost.

Dakki summed it up.

Taunt doesn't guarantee aggro after the debuff is over. It gives you top threat. If you can't outthreat your dpsers after the taunt, you'll lose it.

I think what he is saying, and I have noticed this as well, that taunt is sometimes not functioning as before, and expected, on bosses or trash that you know taunt has worked on before and not had any problem.

This has been mentioned in other threads as well as something that seems to have popped up since the most recent patch.

I don't see how. Both my HoR and my RD still do exactly what a taunt is supposed to do: place you on top of the threat table and fixate the mob on you for 3 seconds. Being such a vital tanking tool(so vital that paladins were given another one due to reliability issues), changing the other taunts into something worse than before doesn't make much sense.

Both my RD and HoR have been failing in the manner described, though not all the time. Previous to this patch, it was working fine. What I have noticed after the patch is that even though I get the mobs attention for 3 secs, I sometimes don't actually move anywhere near the top of the threat list. Sometimes it works fine though. It seems intermittent.

Well I understand that it gives me the threat of the current person on the list and anything after is to push over the top to keep it to me. The fact is I have done that and for some reason they go back to the tank again and I look at threat and its like I never taunted in the first place.... Its like taunt SS, it goes back, taunt again SS, goes back, and Taunt again SS and then finally sticking. It was my understanding that yes it forces the taunted target to attack you but in order to keep threat you must keep attacking it other wise the tanking current target will keep threat. Ex. for switching bosses in 4 horse man tank 1 taunts from tank 2. If tank 2 stops all attacks and tank 1 taunts and attacks he should have the highest threat. Currently what I am seeing is that once the target is taunted it attacks the new tank but after taunt is off the target switches back. The way the spell was working is giving the highest threat and required you to stay above any new threat. It used to be taunt for the duration and you lost the threat and if you didnt get that threat up you lost your target. It seems like it has been reverted back to the old spell. Maybe due to the range of the spell.

I'm sorry, but lets get this straight, taunt never permanently increased your threat. If you are thinking of 4H it is a special fight where a taunt will reset the aggro table for that boss.

I have never, ever heard that before Greendragon. It also seems to go contrary to the entire idea of Taunt... now Mocking Blow works that way, yes, but taunt will put you at the same amount of threat as the person who the mob is currently attacking, and the target of the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonempire View Post
    I'm sorry, but lets get this straight, taunt never permanently increased your threat. If you are thinking of 4H it is a special fight where a taunt will reset the aggro table for that boss.
    Um yes, taunt does permanently increase your threat. You can easily tell that by using the built in blizzard threat API if you want. The trouble is lately it occasionally (but not always) fails.

For example, I have died on a boss attempt with 25% of his health left to go. I was battle-rezzed and taunted to get my threat back up. If taunt wasn't permanent, then after the 3 seconds was up, I would have lost threat, considering the other tanks were well above 300k threat at that point. There is no physical way for me to possibly generate over 300k threat in 3 seconds. Taunt is permanent.

That was how I always knew the taunt worked its to tuant you up to the hightest agro after that if you do nothing but tuant then there is no threat and you loss your target. So you could agro switch from a dps with burst threat but then it is on CD past the duration of the spell so you would lose your target if the dps kept nuking it. The way it has been happen as of late is taunt not sticking or doing anything and you put it on CD and this does not help if your taunt off the MT or from an OT. I know long before they change the taunt spell it was - taunt to highest threat and the tank was required to make that threat up before taunt wore off otherwise the previous target would be at highest threat after the spell but that change some where around 2.0 or after cant remember but I do remeber you had to make up the threat. The new spell was changed due to fights like in ZA for bear boss and other fights as well. Due to the fact that if the tuant would go back to the previous target it would kill that tank and wipe the raid. This changed was what really needed for some fights and was a good change. I just dislike how it was changed or not working as it should. So right now for some fights its best not to make high threat due to it not giving the threat to the new tank for fights such as 4 horseman.

I have never, ever heard that before Greendragon. It also seems to go contrary to the entire idea of Taunt... now Mocking Blow works that way, yes, but taunt will put you at the same amount of threat as the person who the mob is currently attacking, and the target of the mob.

For a second there I thought Blizzard was just changing the spelling of taunt to tuant. /phew

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Um.. since when did warrior taunt give you enought threat to be #1 longer than the debuff duration? I've never witnessed such behaviour. When I taunt I get the first place, but unless I get enought threat in via dev, SS or other skills I'll drop back where I was. As far as I recall DKs are the only ones that get to keep their taunt threat.

The mechanics of taunt are well established. Just...stop.

If it's actually bugged that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Creatan View Post
    Um.. since when did warrior taunt give you enought threat to be #1 longer than the debuff duration? I've never witnessed such behaviour. When I taunt I get the first place, but unless I get enought threat in via dev, SS or other skills I'll drop back where I was. As far as I recall DKs are the only ones that get to keep their taunt threat.
    Of course you lose threat if you don't do a thing and the dpsers do.

Creatan, not to flame, but you're just so dead wrong that I now have a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Agmar View Post
    The mechanics of taunt are well established. Just...stop.

If it's actually bugged that's a different story.
    I am pretty sure it is bugged in some form. It doesn't always fail, but when it does, it forces the 3 second "mocking blow" style debuff, but never adjusts threat levels (or doesn't move all the way up sometimes as well). Other times, it works fine and sets your threat at 100% of the current threat target and gives you aggro. I am not sure what the disconnect is exactly. You can definitely see it on Razuveous adds, but it also happens on trash and has even done it on Gluth a few times as well.

+ Reply to Thread