+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need gemming suggestion, specifically red socket

Need gemming suggestion, specifically red socket

So back in BC, I basically just used stamina gems everywhere. But from what I've heard, w/ WotLK, it's worth considering using other gems now.

I've recently acquired a few new pieces of gear, and for whatever reason, Blizzard seems to like red sockets in tanking gear. These are the items I've acquired in the past week.. and you'll notice each has a red socket in them:

Valorous Dreadnaught Pauldrons
    Valorous Dreadnaught Legguards
    Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm
    Bracers of the Unholy Knight

So my thought process is (correct me if I'm wrong) two fold. First, determine if the socket bonus is worth getting. Second, if it is, determine what red gem to use, and if isn't just use a stamina gem.

Head: +12 stam socket bonus isn't bad. I think I'll go w/ the red gem
    Shoulders: +6 stam socket bonus. I'm seriously considering it, not too sure.
    Legs: +6 Dodge socket bonus. I don't know!
    Wrist: +4 Defense socket bonus. I'll probably ignore this one and just use a STAM gem.

So my next question is what red gem to use... the ones I'm considering include:
    +Expertise, +Expertise/+Stam, +Dodge/+Stam, +Dodge, +STR/+STAM

My role in tanking is both as OT & MT... typically OT, but when our MT can't make it, I fill that position easily. I've MT'd every raid encounter successfully already. Last night, with my current gear setup, I was noticing DPS kissing my own threat level on Sapphiron & KT. It made me consider expertise for red gems to potentially help w/ that, at least until expertise capped (What is that cap again?).

Traditionally, when I've wanted to use red gem, I think I've used dodge/stamina. Another tank friend of mine wants to use STR/Stamina to help w/ SBV & subsequently threat.

So in short, my question is.. how do you guys recommend I gem these 4 pieces? I can't decide

Personally, I have been going for all socket bonus', and going with

Red Socket : 8 Exp/ 12 Stam
    Blue Socket : 24 Stam (obv)
    Yellow Socket: 8 Def / 12 Stam
    Prismatic: 24 Stam
    Meta: 32 Stam / 2% Armor

Quote Originally Posted by Prerift View Post
    Personally, I have been going for all socket bonus', and going with

Red Socket : 8 Exp/ 12 Stam
    Blue Socket : 24 Stam (obv)
    Yellow Socket: 8 Def / 12 Stam
    Prismatic: 24 Stam
    Meta: 32 Stam / 2% Armor
    I approve of this... also considre for red, straight up 16exp.

16 exp till you are at the exp cap

For your bread and butter tanking set I'd go for expertise/stam hands down. Unless you're putting together a stam set for 3dsarth or a threat set...

and forget the str/stam gems, expertise/stam would be better for your threat gen, and SBV isn't a priority to gem for unless you're trying to break a record shield slam crit.

You're way ahead of me gearwise so you might have very different needs.
    I'm at 22 - 26k hp (trash/ boss set) just starting to tank heroics and I go for Exp/ Stam in all my red sockets. Mostly for the stamina, but the extra threat is important for me.

*$

what is the exp cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeeeeeeeekz View Post
    what is the exp cap?
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...questions.html
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

+ Reply to Thread