+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Addon: TankSpeak

Addon: TankSpeak

Hello,

Yesterday i've been learning abit of .lua to finally code an addon i had in mind. This addon would announce defensive or healing increaser received abilities in the user to any channel.
    A guildie of mine (Yaveh-Frostmane) gave the name: TankSpeak!

Example of how it works:
    <Player uses Shield Wall>
    > [0:00] [Raid] Shield Wall up for 12 seconds.
    > [0:10] [Raid] Shield Wall expires in 2 seconds.
    > [0:11] [Raid] Shield Wall expires in 1 seconds.
    > [0:11] [Raid] Guardian Spirit up for 10 seconds.
    > [0:12] [Raid] Shield Wall expired!
    > [0:19] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expires in 2 seconds.
    > [0:20] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expires in 1 seconds.
    > [0:21] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expired!

I coded this addon mainly to sort out cooldown rotations from tanks/healers (for example, Festergut, or any other boss that will have a long period of damage increase).

I've done some testing and it seems to be working soo far =D. Some guildies will test it too.
    I tried to add most classes cooldowns, tier 10 (4x) bonus and trinkets higher than ilvl232.

If I missed any ability/item, let me know =) i will glady add it to the addon.

Also, in future, i will try to add some extra features to it. If you want any feature added to it, let me know also =)

Thanks for reading this,
    Dršught - Frostmane[EU]

Addon is avaiable @ curse.com: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...tankspeak.aspx
    You can see addon options with the command: /tankspeak

I don't want to burst your bubble but I don't know many people that read that chat window during combat - so few that people get addons like eavesdrop to keep track of what happened.

A combination of addons like heatsink combined with powerauras can do exactly what you want this addon to do, but do it visually on the screen so you are able to watch what you are doing instead of reading a chatbox.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Quote Originally Posted by Dršught View Post
    <Player uses Shield Wall>
    > [0:00] [Raid] Shield Wall up for 12 seconds.
    > [0:10] [Raid] Shield Wall expires in 2 seconds.
    > [0:11] [Raid] Shield Wall expires in 1 seconds.
    > [0:11] [Raid] Guardian Spirit up for 10 seconds.
    > [0:12] [Raid] Shield Wall expired!
    > [0:19] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expires in 2 seconds.
    > [0:20] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expires in 1 seconds.
    > [0:21] [Raid] Guardian Spirit expired!
    It's a pretty cool idea, but you can do the Shield Wall part with a macro too if you like.

#showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast Shield Wall
    /raid Shield Wall up for 12 seconds
    /in 10 /raid Shield Wall expires in 2 seconds
    /in 11 /raid Shield Wall expires in 1 second.
    /in 12 /raid Shield Wall expired !

Quote Originally Posted by dotOrion View Post
    It's a pretty cool idea, but you can do the Shield Wall part with a macro too if you like.

#showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast Shield Wall
    That does nothing for external cooldowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Which is why I added "the Shield Wall part", e.g. your own cooldowns, in my message.

Quote Originally Posted by Goros
    I don't want to burst your bubble but I don't know many people that read that chat window during combat - so few that people get addons like eavesdrop to keep track of what happened.

A combination of addons like heatsink combined with powerauras can do exactly what you want this addon to do, but do it visually on the screen so you are able to watch what you are doing instead of reading a chatbox.
    As you see, this is a one side solution, as it only requires to the tank to have it in order to everyone know what is happening =)
    I have those cooldowns triggered on power auras too soo i can see them without having to check chat.

Altho, its also true, that theres always someone that doesnt get the full idea of those addons (pugs, cross-guild raids, new guildies, guildies without much experience with addons, non-end-game guilds). If I have it, has a tank, I'm assuring that those guys will know what cooldowns are on me.

The addon is designed to choose to wich channel (not custom channels, adding it on next version) it will announce. This includes Raid Warnings and Yell/Say (chat bubbles) =) soo it wont be completly invisible =)

#showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast Shield Wall
    Spamm it while you are stunned and u ill have a surprise =)
    Also, how do u manage to report when u have a healer cooldown on you (like guardian spirit)?

New feature added: /tankspeak pull
    - this will start a countdown for a pull. Use it again before the countdown ends to abort the pull.

Good idea for an addon, I actually wrote one very similar to this myself for my healing characters. But as someone mentioned above, I found that one or two things happen:
    1. People don't read the chat window while they are in combat.
    2. People don't like it and tell me to turn it off.
    As a result its been sitting there and I haven't used it since BC.

Having said that, I did use it a BUNCH on my arena team back when I frequently did arena. My team loved it and we actually gave it to several other teams within the guild. So perhaps you should add some functionality for people in arena teams, such as "Target X is stunned," or "Evasion activated," etc. I would write it myself, except I have no need for since I no longer play arena. I know the majority of this can be accomplished with macros, but I think it would still be helpful for those who are not the macro savvy type.

If it talks with other people with the addon and gives timer bars they'll probably love it.

Especially if it allows for a pre programmed CD rotation.

Which is why I added "the Shield Wall part", e.g. your own cooldowns, in my message.
    Right, but then you're just complicating things, you can do both with one addon, or you can make separate macros for your abilities and have everything else done with the addon...sorry that's too much spamming of a CD button during a fight, no time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    If it talks with other people with the addon and gives timer bars they'll probably love it.

Especially if it allows for a pre programmed CD rotation.
    You don't actually need communication to do timers as you can do combat event parsing of when the event actually occurs or do aura tracking of particular buffs.

You would need communication if there was some predefined rotation though but more important than that is in the cooldown of the ability, you can not determine the cooldown of another players ability (you can only approximate by base cooldown). Talents and glyphs alter cooldown durations. A rotation can't be defined in time if you don't know what abilities will be available at a given time.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

That's kinda what I was getting at, but I not speak gud.

Sorry for the necromancy but I was using this addon pre 4.0.1 and really loved it. Helped my healers who were assigned to rotate cooldowns to watch for when it was their turn without having to call it out on vent. Set assignments and orfer, then just pull. As soon as the first cooldown activated they all watched carefully to see when it was their turn.

But sadly it doesn't seem to work with the patch and I'm at a loss finding an addon that can announce the use of external cooldowns being used on myself. There are plenty of addons to announce my own though. Any chance this addon will be updated or something new in it's place made ?

If there is an addon like this lurking somewhere I'd really like some info on where to get it

tankspeak-4.0-fanupdate.zip

I've had a quick go at fixing this for 4.0. I'm not able to maintain it but this might be useful (assuming it works, seems to work for me).

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...004-Flump.html

This is another option that I'd strongly suggest.

tankspeak.zip

Thx, I used your fanupdate and then changed a few things. Works like a charm.

What I changed:
    Removed Unbreakable Armor
    Added Ardent defender
    Changed Divine Sacrifice to Divine Guardian
    Warning: If more then 1 person in the raid is using this, Divine Guardian might produce some spam but in that case it can be removed out in the core.lua file, or just add
    --
    in front of
    local DIVINE_GUARDIAN = {70940, GetSpellInfo(70940)};
    so it looks like
    -- local DIVINE_GUARDIAN = {70940, GetSpellInfo(70940)};
    and also in front of
    {DIVINE_GUARDIAN, "Divine Guardian up for 6 seconds.", "Divine Guardian expires in %s.", "Divine Guardian expired!", nil},

Same can be done with any ability you don't wanna se spammed like barkskin etc, or if you like spam, remove the -- from the shieldblock lines

Also Divine Guardian doesn't show how much is left of it (when others use it for your benefit) so I bypassed the countdown on it, so it just shows when it's used and then again when it expires.

It's a neat idea. But you'd need to pipe that through raid warnings or it'd be overlooked.

Personally I configured Grid to show all cooldowns. That's where I look first(being a healer).

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

+ Reply to Thread