+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exp or avoid?

Exp or avoid?

Im reading the posts daily and i never seen anybody asking the questions that i would like answered so here we go.

I understand that the exp is used for more dps/threat and avoid is for parry/dodge. But i dont see how you can reach the soft cap for exp and still maintain the amout of dodge/parry(which is around 20%+ for both)

So at the end of the day what is the best avoid>threat or the other way around. And even at the end of the day threat as a warrior shouldnt be a problem with taunt that should give you enough time to hold a mob(s).

Anybody could give me an answer that would be great

You gear for what you need, mr Joe. If you are dieing a lot, you want survival stats. If you are losing threat, you want threat stats. Typically tanks carry a piece or two for every other slot so they can focus on whatever is more important on that pull.

And yeah, right now it's not doable getting a full threat set that also has a great survivability. If you check the BC history, only late t5 and t6 warriors made such a set.

If you can survive boss fight with no problem the it's time to gem for threat. 27 expertise is an absolute must imo as you're getting 2% extra chance to hit the boss for every 1% of reduction.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Do you need more threat or more avoidance?

There really isn't a point in being lopsided in either department. Squishy tanks are pretty lame and worthless, so are ones that can't hold aggro. I'd say pick the one you need the most work in and start there.

Well which would a be agood amout of TPS to not have to think about raising it?

you always want more threat, always, why? because increasing your threat means increasing your DPS as well which means you're contributing more to your raid overall. normally it's a question of "can you survive x encounter with y amount of reliability. If so then start gunning for threat"

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Threat you can easily keep an eye on yourself, but when it comes to survivability, ask your healers if you're easy to keep up

Well i guess i thought wrong at the end of the day because i was always under the assumption that a tank with 30k unbuffed and that could hold aggro was all you needed to do.

What about getting dodge/parry gear and then just socketing for the extra exp? With enchants for hp? Because that seems the only way to have a balance of everything that you would want or need from a tank.

as everyone said, it's horses for courses, spec for what you need most. it looks like you're afer some hard, fast, figures so here is what pretty much everyone will say:

540 def (goes without saying)
    30k HP
    20% dodge / parry / block
    27 expertise
    don't neglect hit

which is / are most important - depends where you are currently falling short.

you have 2 main jobs as a tank:

1 - stay alive
    2 - keep designated mobs glued to you

in order to effectively do both of the above you need a good mix or Survivability (this is made up of Effective Health and Avoidance) and Threat stats.

FYI, EH is a combination of base HP and Mitigation (Armour and Block) stats, there are plenty of posts about it if you want to read up.

as i have tried to do in other posts, don't just read something like "expertise is best for a tank" and then blindly follow that - take some time to read up on why it is, compare this to your current situation, and then make a call on if or not is it right for you.

there are some awesome resources out there on the net for you to delve into (tankspot, tankingtips, EJ, Wowwiki) which will all help boost your theorycrafting and in-turn help you make a more informed decision about what to stack and (more importantly) understand WHY you are stacking it!

- DW

OK so what your saying is all in all i need to up my survivability which is EH and avoidance. And that EH is HP and Mitigation, which midigation is armor/block/dodge and parry. So uping your mitigation is uping your EH in some way but not too over look your threat because that is also important because if you cant allow your dps to actually dps then your not doing your job as a tank in a sense.

Effective Health is just your health and your armor. If your total dodge/parry/block is under 60% then you should probably take a hard look at your gearing as that should come pretty naturally. I personally would never gem for avoidance - either stam, expertise, or a combo of the two is all I use currently. If you could gem for armor I probably would do that . IMHO always prepare for the worst case scenario - that is your avoidance fails several times in a row only effective health is going to save you. If you miss or get dodged/parried a couple times in a row on pull? - only hit/expertise is going to save your raid (ok you've probably still got your taunt/mocking blow/challenging shout).

So all of my avoid should come from gear is what you are saying? And i can see how all of it plays a huge part in doing your job as a good tank.

There is no hard, fast answer. Part of tanking is having multiple gear sets and understanding what you want to wear for each encounter. For example, does Heigan hit as hard as Patchwerk? No, he doesn't, so there is no reason to wear you best avoidance gear on Heigan. Wear the tanking gear you need to survive, and then change a couple pieces over that will increase your TPS/DPS.

As said, if your dying, get more avoidance or hp and if your losing aggro get more expertise/hit.

Now personally I like to shoot for threat, as crushing those damned dpsers into the ground with my threat, elicits glee within me. So I looked up items I wanted, and how I could gem them etc, for threat and maintain good stats elsewhere. I suggest that you do the same.

Go to chardev.org - a World of Warcraft Character Planner - x

Make an account, import your character from the armory, and play around until you like what you have.
    One thing to note is that it will not include your hp from mining, if you are one.
    Last edited by Churles; 01-28-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: .

Ok that explained plenty to have different armor sets for different situations. To be ready depending on the conditions of what the bosses do and wear the correct gear to maximize your survivability.

Right.

There will be special cases where your TPS/DPS matter a lot more than your EH/Avoidance, likewise fights where your TPS/DPS are an afterthought to you surviving a "tank killer" boss move. For ordinary stuff a balanced set of gear is going to be fine, of course expertise is mitigation against parry hasted mobs but that's not really as common as people make it out to be.

good luck.

+ Reply to Thread