+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unholy Tank, Taking alot of damage

Unholy Tank, Taking alot of damage

I recently switched from my Frost/blood combo to mostly unholy and I must say I am holding threat better, and my dps has gone up quite a bit. But I am seem to be taking a ton more damage. My usual healer for heroic runs has commented that its taking more healing to keep me up. I normally have no problem tanking 10 man naxx and was wondering if anyone had any insight, maybe I need to regem my gear, I am well over the def cap, but my avoidance stats are a little lacking. Here is a link to my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I also wanted to mention that at the time of this post the armory did not show my current spec.... I am now 10/8/53 unholy tank. I used to be 17/47/7.
    Last edited by Krono; 01-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.

well looking at you armory you have 534 def while in heroics this should be alright in naxx you wouldn't be crit immune , having said that you sigil should bring you over that easy as it up 100% of the time so that shouldn't be a problem .

first off im not great on unholy tank specs but do you have bone armour up at all times ? and have you got it glyph for it ? apart from that you shouldn't be taking massive damage bar when you are tanking are you letting the mobs in packs stand behind you

For survival purposes, as Unholy, Madoxx just said it all. Bone Shield up all the time (pre-buff and recast every chance), you can only avoid mobs in front of you, and other than that, if your gear is light on armor/stam/avoidance all you can do is make sure to mix IBF into the gaps between Bone Shield.

I can't check your spec or your gear, the Armory is on maintenance at the moment, but something is definitely up if you're taking distinctly more damage. I would think a lot of the basic tanking details would've stayed consistant, so I can only assume it's using Bone Shield well.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Ditto Satorri.

Unholy took a hit with the patch, but that was to bring it in line with frost, not worse.

All I can say (since armory is down, if you post up a wowhead spec that would help) is that you need to be managing your CDs well as a DK tank, especially if your in entry lvl gear. I mean, in full T7.5 I still use BS precasts and IBF at the start of hard hitting big pulls. Doing that smooths out the dam because as the mobs die you IBF will fall off and then its just one or 2 mobs hitting you. Plus I chain pull so I do it to save healer mana :P
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

Bone shield is up as often as it can be...of course I do forget sometimes, and my back is always facing away from mobs, no mobs get behind me any longer than it takes for me to reposition myself so that they aren't behind me any longer.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

that is my current spec that I am trying out. I was Frost since day one as a DK and so I wanted to try something different. I am under the def cap right now because I went back to Rune of SwordShattering for my 2her as opposed to stoneskin gargoyle..and I let my sigil fill in the gap since IT is the first thing in my rotation. I wanted to try a different tank method and it just seemed like I was taking alot more damage than when I was frost primarily. Unholy has been fun trying out but I wanted to know if I am missing something critical or what. I'd rather not give up on it without understanding what I have changed. Now here is my old spec for comparison.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Just some other ideas I have been throwing around, reverting to my old spec but losing the points I had in rune tap and pushing further into frost for the expertise. Thanks for the responses.

I am always the first to highly recommend Tundra Stalker or Rage of Rivendare when you can get them, they're huge buffs to threat, in addition to the tastey expertise gain.

Hope things come together for you. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread