+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wtb: tanking mentor, Eldre'Thalas

Wtb: tanking mentor, Eldre'Thalas

I'm a pretty fresh 80, and I'm trying very hard to be the best tank I can be. I'm in a small casual guild (4 tanks total) and I need to get up to speed so we can get a second 10man Naxx run going, and maybe do 25's with a few pugged dps. I've read the guides, watched the videos, tried to wrap my head around the theorycraft and math to gem/enchant and gear up as best I can.

However, I'm a very "learn by doing" kind of guy. I'm not a terribad tank, but I'm a huge perfectionist and it kills me to know I'm underperforming but not being sure how to get better.

So I'm looking for some help. Someone (ideally a tank alt/respec/dk new main but anyone who knows what's up would be fine) who can do a few heroics with me and A. explain the pulls a bit & B. let me know when I'm failing, and how I can fix it. I'm on Eldre'Thalas US alliance side, and usually play from ~9-11pm server. I learn fast, and really love useful feedback. Obviously it would help if you have some idea what you're talking about.

I'm on every night at those hours. Add me to friends and I'll get you squared away.

P.S. Had to add an extra "a" to my name when I moved to this server, so /who Ravenclaaw.

Awesome, I'll add you tonight.

Try drop ALL your hit, ALL your expertise and change weapon to some crappy yellow thing.
    Then gather some very high dps'ers, preferably ranged with aoe capabilities, then tell them to go all out on every trashpack as soon as you do your first thunderclap.

When they start peeling the mobs off you again and again, you get the real practise.

You're forced to use your last-stand and shield wall on unpredictable times (when healer is trying to heal the dps), spamming mocking, taunt and aoe taunt including using your stuns as CC when you least expect.

When you know where all your abilities are and can proc any one of them without flinching, then it's time to start getting your dps/tps rotation right

Also try get simular grp and "skip" the healer. Makes for an interesting run (have 1 of them capable as an offspec healer for bosses though )

Anyways I'm just rambling, don't take me too serious

just go for it. the more you do the better you will get.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Garbid: I'm a pally. :P

I've done a couple more heroics since this post. A pug Drak'Theron (got the chest) and a guild run of VH (the trinket and pants!). I'm definitely improving a lot. It is good practice trying to grab ranged mobs from opposite sides of the room when the dps won't wait.

+ Reply to Thread