+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cider's Guide to Video & Audio Software & Hardware

Hi there, I would like to know the music that is inside Lore's vedio.
    For example:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/...-kologarn.html

Much thanks

I couldn't find the song you used on the 25man Yogg Saron video on neosounds.com. Could you clarify the name of the track you used, i would love to download it. thanks

Question, Cider, if you will. I recently got the notion in my mind that I'd like to start recording some of my Warcraft going-ons. I do notice that you recommend playing in the video setting you wish to have the end product shown as. Would it not be possible to play, say, at 1920x1200, and then in processing drop the size down to, say, 720?
    AeroWow.com | ArmoryLite: Soleniae - Uldum
    The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

yes please I'm also wanting to know what music track you used...can't find it anywhere on that site =(

Recording on a Mac is very viable option if you have a fair amount of cash to blow - the Mac WoW client comes with built-in recording options that are very robust, supported by Blizzard and completely native to the client.

Editing options then become a little more narrow - Final Cut Express and Pro/Studio - but this is very much offset by the ability to record natively without recording the UI. Essentially you play the game as normal, but the film doesn't show the UI.

This last part is the primary reason I went with an iMac and 4GB of extra RAM for my huge 1h 33min PVE video released last month. While I'm not terribly happy with all that I've been forced to relearn after switching to a Mac, the filming aspect was a godsend - enabling me to create an almost completely cinematic experience while playing the game just normally with my ugly UI.

Hi Ciderhelm,

I'm a huge fan of your videos and this forum and i wondered if you could explain how you render your videos with Sony Vegas, what is the option you choose when rendering ?

Thanks a lot

Hey Cider,

I have been making movies for a while and was wondering like the previous poster if you could explain which settings and codec do you use to render in Vegas. Although my movies look pretty nice they don't quite have the shinyness of your Project Marmot movies. I am using the in-game WoW settings stated in the first post.

I am using a .mp4 (MainConcept under Vegas) codec with a custom template of 1280x720, 30 FPS, constant bit rate of 4k. Rendering quality set at best and progressive scan of course.

Sample of a video I made last night with the above settings:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-0lUgWJT8"]YouTube - 10-man Hodir Hard[/ame]

As you can see it doesn't "fill" the screen in HD setting, although the actual movie in my hard drive does play at high res.

Edit: A video I made today with changing to 1440x1080 resolution. The quality is noticeably better but there's still some 'fuzzyness' when compared to Project Marmot quality. Any tips?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS1YWsF6BSg]10-man Council Hard[/ame]
    Last edited by Ring0; 06-25-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Howdy,

Ellay here, I just thought I would put a little input on respect to recording locations. I run with 2 external 500 gb drives for general storage. I used to try and FRAPS directly to the externals and was getting like 14 FPS while recording. I just got my new computer with much better stats all around. I tried the same thing and was getting similar terrible performance While FRAPSing directly to them. Instead I tried FRAPSing directly to my main hard drive and got significantly better fram rates. So I would suggest anyone with a similar 1 Internal hard drive setup to FRAPS to the internals before you send it to the externals. You can always transfer the data afterward.

Ring0: what your probably seeing is the compression from 1440x1080 to 1280x720. Sinces its not a direct ratio your going to loose have some stretching (L:W, 1.33:1). Also note that through compression your going to see a loss of quality (ie fuzziness).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu1X8H5dQJA"]YouTube - Quality Youtube Video[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DrMbWpmSU"]YouTube - VoA - Emalon (25) - Kinetic of Maiev[/ame]

Are two videos I did on this same computer. One is with the settings that they suggested above (1280x720 Resolution) and the other is with my normal play settings (1440x900 Resolution). Compression affects the two differently depending on where they came from. I've noticed better video quality out of the settings they gave above. Just trying to help a fellow Frapser
    Last edited by Ellaytank; 08-14-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: for Ringo

I've had many a problem finding the right codec and compression to use. I'm using virtual dub for some things, but other times it just fails and winds up with very chopping pixelated video. Should I be doing something specific to get it to compress down into high quality video? (My current raw file is 32GB, which is just fine, have plenty of space). Trying to make boss videos for my guild but can't seem to figure out the specifics.

I have been recording the last few weeks in a 1080 resolution, then moving the fraps files to my network storage (gigabit network). I use Perian on my mac mini to allow me to use the fraps files directly in Final Cut Express.

Initial Loading of the files into FCE, and frame rendering (so you can preview it) takes a little longer, but I can use my networked storage for that instead of using the small drive in the mini (2.1TB of space compared to 30gigs free).

I have FCE output 1280x720 @ 6000 KBps as h.264, which gives me pretty nice HD video on Youtube when uploaded.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK4o5yxGp3w"]YouTube - Dancing in Naxx after a wipe[/ame]

This was recorded on a PC, then edited on a mac

It seems my graphics card is not able to run 1280x700.
    Geforce 8800 gts 512, and it seems any videos I run turn out with terrible quality.
    Halp?
    Last edited by Bragoon; 08-27-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Run Fraps at the same resolution you game with or divide it by 2 so there is no pixel division.
    Try a recording framerate of 25fps.
    Fraps stresses the hard disk and CPU more than anything else, so make sure you use the fastest disk in your PC.

First of all, sorry for my very bad english :P

The question is about settings to export video in Sony vegas 9. I can get nice quality videos in 1440x900 res, but i see the tankspot videos and their work is awesome.

Someone can help me with it? i want to know the setting are used to export the videos of tankspot.

Have you done any type of "Appropriate Hardware Spec" list? It would be helpful to people who want to upgrade their hardware for Christmas

At the moment I've no idea of what graphic card have good price and good performance at the same time, what CPU, etc.

Can you help me please?

I am having problems with my uploads and formatting I think. I have looked up a million tutorials and have followed them step by step encoding my movies to HD etc.. and it seems that youtube reaches 100% upload but never finalizes the upload. It stays at Uploading the whole time! I let it sit for 2 hours or so after saying 100% and it still didn't budge. Any help maybe? BTW I am using Premiere Pro CS4 and the file size is 216mb.

So, I decided to make this video guide. Partly for my own benefit, as I want to start making some wow movies on my mac, but mostly for other people's benefit. For some reason, even though Macs are brilliant for making WoW movies, there are virtually no guides out there that cover how to make a wow video.

This is a short (about 4 mins) guide on how to make a video using the inbuilt recorder in the mac client, how to import it into iMovie 09, how to add some transition effects and titles, and also (most importantly) how to export the file.

The encoder I used was Quicktime, with a downloaded codec - X264 encoder. It's available for free online, and its very good.
    I'd recommend downloading the video as the youtube stream and vimeo stream, while they should be HD, won't do it justice.
    The file should play in Quicktime when downloaded, but I recommend using VLC - it's simply amazing and plays ANY video file without having to download any video codec packs.

YouTube - Basic guide to movie making on mac audio.mov (HD)
    Basic guide to WoW movie making on a mac on Vimeo (HD)
    http://www.WarcraftMovies.com/movieview.php?id=136469
    Recommend HD stream from Vimeo, slightly better quality and also allows download if registered.

Any questions please feel free to post on here or better to PM me, I'll try to answer as best I can. I'll make a more detailed tutorial with some raid footage after Cataclysm hits (was only playing trial client during this film).
    Hope this helps some people
    Last edited by sureshk; 01-15-2010 at 02:57 PM.

I'm thinking of starting to fraps kills and had a question I was hoping someone could answer. I'm on a x4 965 BE, and I have WoW set to run on cores 2 and 3, if I use the process manager to set fraps to run on cores 0 and 1, provided I'm recording to a second hard drive as well, what type of performance hit can I expect?

I have followed your initial post Cider, but I still seem to be having issues. I film World of Warcraft at 1280x720 resolution and I have audio disabled. In a usual raid video it lasts my guild about 6 minutes in ICC to down a boss. So in total my videos do not exceed the 10 minute limit, or the 2gb file size.

-So my question to the forums is.... Could someone give me the exact settings TankSpot uses on their boss fight videos. Here are the settings I use currently in Adobe Premiere.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Settings are as follows:

H.264
    1280X720
    MPEG-4
    6 Mb/s | 9 Mb/s Bitrate
    Audio defaults

--Help appreciated or anything as simple as the exact settings your guys use would be awesome!

Hi can any one please help me?

I use Fraps full version to record my wow screen and have now started using Sony Vesgas Pro 9 to make it into a film. I have a 24" PC monitor which is good enuogh to fill the whole youtube screen on normal. BUT the problem i have is i dont know the corrrect settings to create a new vegas file with to begin with or the right "Render As" resolution settings to render it as so it can be displayed very clearly using the whole youtube screen like my old Windows Movie Maker use to do for me.

Please help by telling me the recommended settings which i need. Thank You!

its no problem now, i found out a great way of setting it up so it comes up with great resolution now so i dont need help youtube ftw ^^

+ Reply to Thread