+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cider's Guide to Video & Audio Software & Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Dares View Post
    Hi there, I would like to know the music that is inside Lore's vedio.
    For example:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/...-kologarn.html

Much thanks
    Lore explained in Project Marmot episode 3. The title of the track is "The Lips of the Sun" by Mysticage. I don't have a good link for it, but you can search for it fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ta2punk View Post
    I couldn't find the song you used on the 25man Yogg Saron video on neosounds.com. Could you clarify the name of the track you used, i would love to download it. thanks
    The Yogg Saron video uses some of Bjorn Lynne's Relaxation series music. You can download a version for your own personal listening at http://www.lynnemusic.com/relaxation_series.html. Music downloaded here is NOT licensed for use in videos. Ciderhelm explained in another post (I don't care to look it up again) that he used "Under the Sea" and "Endless Oceans" in Ulduar videos.

Also, note that "Savannah" by Bjorn Lynne, the classic track in most of the Raid Guides can be downloaded from iTunes, for your personal music library. Hope that helps, as I was also looking for this music recently! (especially "Savannah")

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Please note: Solid State Drives are not designed for constant writing the way hard disks are. You do not want to use a SSD for video recording as it can actually lead to damage on the drive.
    This was probably true with previous technology, but nowadays it is flat out wrong.

The technology has been totally overhauled thanks to everyone's paranoia with limited writes. A quality SSD can compete with mid-ranged HDDs for lifespan.

*However*. Configuring an SSD and the computer to use an SSD is a non-trivial task. This is absolutely not something for an everyday consumer. The wrong SSD will perform worse than a HDD and requites heavy lifting to get it to work well. The right SSD will perform very well, but could still use lots of tweaking to get to work even better. It's because of the time and skill required that I wouldn't recommend an SSD to most people. However, an SSD has been fundamentally game-changing for me with running WoW, and it would be an absolute improvement over using an HDD when doing recording.

hey everyone. First i just wanna say, where would we all be without you tankspot. Thanks for everything.
    i do come to you with a problem though. i recently started messing around with fraps and making my own videos pretty much just for kicks and its crazy addicting. i used alot of the info in cider's first post here to kinda get me started with the getting another hard drive, fraps and vegas pro 9. It worked great for the first couple videos but then last night i was making another and it keeps giving me a "system is low on memory, close apps to gain memory usage error message" and nothing has changed i have plenty of ram not be utilized while rendering and lots of hd space only thing i can figure is my dual processors are working they're asses off while in process. but when i made my first video i had wow, itunes, vuze and god knows what else open and no probs. guess my question is has this happened to you cider? or anyone else?

thanks in advance

There must be some mac users here on tankspot, and need their help!

Hmm, I'm gonna record something ingame - but is there a way I can change the place where the movies is saved before they get compressed? because it's taking much space on my HD, and it slow down my HD because I need to run wow and write huge files to the drive at same time, so I'm wondering if there is any way to change the place the files get saved

Quote Originally Posted by Zerpex View Post
    There must be some mac users here on tankspot, and need their help!

Hmm, I'm gonna record something ingame - but is there a way I can change the place where the movies is saved before they get compressed? because it's taking much space on my HD, and it slow down my HD because I need to run wow and write huge files to the drive at same time, so I'm wondering if there is any way to change the place the files get saved
    Yes you can sort this out.

In the WTF folder you'll find the "Config.wtf". Here you add the line:

SET MovieRecordingPath "/Volumes/Drive Name/Directory Path/"
    - /Volumes/ you keep as is
    - /Drive Name/ is the HDD you want to save your media too
    - /Directory Path/ is the folder-structure. Keep the quotes as is.

An example of the above is:

SET MovieRecordingPath "/Volumes/Raid Drive/Movies/World of Warcraft Capture"
    So the above would capture to the HDD "Raid Drive" in the folder "World of Warcraft Capture" that resides in the folider "Movies".

Hope you get it sorted. It's highly recommended to use a dedicated raid for capture.

Is there a way to make fraps record compressed movies? 3rd party software, anything...
    I recorded last night a heroic Gundrak run (under 10min i think) and the movie was 30GB, and split into 4GB files. The HDD is NTFS, so i don't understand the split part.
    I recorded in 1280x1024 60fps. I chose 60fps cuz this was i can play above 30fps ingame.

Or can u suggest any other recording software that records compressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhoof View Post
    Is there a way to make fraps record compressed movies? 3rd party software, anything...
    I recorded last night a heroic Gundrak run (under 10min i think) and the movie was 30GB, and split into 4GB files. The HDD is NTFS, so i don't understand the split part.
    I recorded in 1280x1024 60fps. I chose 60fps cuz this was i can play above 30fps ingame.

Or can u suggest any other recording software that records compressed?
    There is no way to record movies compressed, it will compress after you finish the recording - try limit the FPS in fraps to 30 - the same FPS that HDTV runs on - ehm, no need to run more than 30 tbh, it will lower the file, but you need to compress it after - about fraps or so, I don't know anything about, cuz' im sitting on mac, when recording, and wow got it's own recorder.

There is no way to record movies compressed, it will compress after you finish the recording
    Uff...was afraid of that

try limit the FPS in fraps to 30 - the same FPS that HDTV runs on - ehm, no need to run more than 30 tbh
    I know that movie wise there 30fps is enough, but if i limit the recording to 30fps then i am capped ingame to 30fps while recording, and it's a bit slugish for my taste.

cuz' im sitting on mac, when recording, and wow got it's own recorder.
    Wow got it's own recorder? Funny i never knew that. Or is a mac only featrure?

I ran into another problem. As i said earlier my movie is split into 4GB individual files. I use Corel Video Studio Pro X3 for my video stiching and editing, and i can't seem to figure out how to save a custom resolution movie. My display is 5:4 (1280x1024) and all of the presets are HD variants (16:9). The only non HD i found was 1440x1080 (but is way over my resolution so i end up with thick black borders) and iPod resolutions (640x480, 320x240, etc).
    All i want to do si keep my original movie resolution (1280x1024) and stich my movies together
    Last edited by Happyhoof; 09-18-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Uff...was afraid of that

I know that movie wise there 30fps is enough, but if i limit the recording to 30fps then i am capped ingame to 30fps while recording, and it's a bit slugish for my taste.

Wow got it's own recorder? Funny i never knew that. Or is a mac only featrure?

I ran into another problem. As i said earlier my movie is split into 4GB individual files. I use Corel Video Studio Pro X3 for my video stiching and editing, and i can't seem to figure out how to save a custom resolution movie. My display is 5:4 (1280x1024) and all of the presets are HD variants (16:9). The only non HD i found was 1440x1080 (but is way over my resolution so i end up with thick black borders) and iPod resolutions (640x480, 320x240, etc).
    All i want to do si keep my original movie resolution (1280x1024) and stich my movies together
    Okay, let me see -

If you limit in fraps, ur fps, it shouldn't infect the game?, and - why complain about 30 fps in the game, your eye only see around 25 fps - all over is useless - tbh, all people should know, that you will get more performance on ur computer with limiting the fps to 30 - with the /maxfps 30 - it's will tell the computer not to max out fps - so it will lower the graphic and CPU usage -

WoW got it's own recorder - in mac only - Cuz blizzard love macs.

Anyways, about the resolution, you can't do much about it, only with scratching the movie to a wide movie thing, - and will make the graphics even worse.

It needs an 16:9 screen do record true HD

If you limit in fraps, ur fps, it shouldn't infect the game?
    In FRAPS when u check the max fps limit the game runs at that max fps. So if i check the 30fps limit the game runs at max 30fps. WoW usualy runs on my system at 60-90fps. If i check the 60fps limit then the game, while recording, runs at around 35-50fps.

and - why complain about 30 fps in the game, your eye only see around 25 fps - all over is useless
    -
    The eye limitation is true for movies. A movie runed at 24fps runs smoothly. This however is not true for video games. This is mainly because of motion blur (you can find more info on this subject on google :P). In movies u have motion blur, in games u pretty much don't (at least not in WoW).
    From my own experience i can tell u that running WoW (or any other game for that matter) in 60fps is WAAAY better then in 30fps.

tbh, all people should know, that you will get more performance on ur computer with limiting the fps to 30 - with the /maxfps 30 - it's will tell the computer not to max out fps - so it will lower the graphic and CPU usage -
    Well, not exactly :P
    First define performance. In games the best performance indicator is the frame rate. In simple terms this tells us how many frames in 1 second the video card+CPU can render. The ability to render more frames in a given unit of time (1sec in our case)means that the video card+CPU combo is more performant.
    So please tell me how can limiting the fps can increase performance? If u limit the fps u get lower CPU and video card usage and thus lower power consumption and lesser heat dissipated, but certanly don't increase the performance of the video card or CPU

Anyways, about the resolution, you can't do much about it, only with scratching the movie to a wide movie thing, - and will make the graphics even worse.

It needs an 16:9 screen do record true HD
    Maybe i wasn't clear :P. I don't want HD resolution. The problem was that all the presets in Corel Video studio were at HD resolution. I just want the movie to be saved at the res it was recorded (1280x1024).
    However i managed to find a custom resolution setting, and saved my movie at a custom resoluion. But it looks i have over compressed it From 8GB of uncompressed avi i got a whooping 40Mb compressed avi, but it looks grothesque :P

WoW got it's own recorder - in mac only - Cuz blizzard love macs.
    This just isn't fair (

In FRAPS when u check the max fps limit the game runs at that max fps. So if i check the 30fps limit the game runs at max 30fps. WoW usualy runs on my system at 60-90fps. If i check the 60fps limit then the game, while recording, runs at around 35-50fps.

-
    The eye limitation is true for movies. A movie runed at 24fps runs smoothly. This however is not true for video games. This is mainly because of motion blur (you can find more info on this subject on google :P). In movies u have motion blur, in games u pretty much don't (at least not in WoW).
    From my own experience i can tell u that running WoW (or any other game for that matter) in 60fps is WAAAY better then in 30fps.

Well, not exactly :P
    First define performance. In games the best performance indicator is the frame rate. In simple terms this tells us how many frames in 1 second the video card+CPU can render. The ability to render more frames in a given unit of time (1sec in our case)means that the video card+CPU combo is more performant.
    So please tell me how can limiting the fps can increase performance? If u limit the fps u get lower CPU and video card usage and thus lower power consumption and lesser heat dissipated, but certanly don't increase the performance of the video card or CPU

Maybe i wasn't clear :P. I don't want HD resolution. The problem was that all the presets in Corel Video studio were at HD resolution. I just want the movie to be saved at the res it was recorded (1280x1024).
    However i managed to find a custom resolution setting, and saved my movie at a custom resoluion. But it looks i have over compressed it From 8GB of uncompressed avi i got a whooping 40Mb compressed avi, but it looks grothesque :P

This just isn't fair (
    As you say, in movies there is motion blur - you're making a movie - when recording on 30 fps or 60 fps ingame with wow, and in the movie - I can't see any difference in smooth, and so..

But it's a movie you record, most screens today runs 50 or 60 Hz, aka no need to run 60 fps

___

That I mean with performance is that, if you set an max fps to 30, instead of 60 - you can run with much higher graphics, and you can run more programs in the background, without ur computer is using 100% processor..

40mb for a avi file in 10 mins, is okay.. compressing stuff though after effects or premier pro isn't good, cuz the file size gets big

etc. I can record 3 hours in wow, and it will store it on my 2tb harddrive, when I compress it, it with get down to around 10 gb, then I can compress it again in quick time - nothing has changed at all - not stuff you can see with ur eye - and the movie is only on like 700-770 mb.
    and im running 1080p recording .

Anyways, if ur asking about stuff, and I reply.. btw, get an external harddrive, and format to NFTS or FAT32, the 4gb limitation got removed when win7 came btw.

But it's fair that mac have their own ingame recorder - having a pro computer, and you will get pro includings

I am not recording at 60fps because i want the movie to be at 60fps, but becasue i want the game to run, while recording, at max fps possible. This is the way fraps is designed to work. It records at the frame rate the game runs. Or at least i havn't figurred it out how can i record at 30fps while playing the game at above 30fps.

I am running wow at max details, so there isn't any higher graphics i can enable And anyways, as i said earlier, if i limit fraps at 30fps the WoW runs, while recording, at 30fps (regardless of my graphic settings). So if i can run WoW at max details above 30fps, i would like to to that also while recording, so that's why i chose 60fps in fraps.

The 40Mb file was for 4 and a half mins of play time But quality was horrible (see sample.jpg). I have to fiddle with the compression settings, cuz i'm sure it can look a looot better at around the same file size.

I am running Win7 and the both HDDs are NTFS, but i belive that this is a limitation from FRAPS, not my HDD or OS.

But it's fair that mac have their own ingame recorder - having a pro computer, and you will get pro includings
    Hehe, i don't argue that a Mac si sexier then a PC, but value for money rating is way lower then a PC.
    Attached Images

I am not recording at 60fps because i want the movie to be at 60fps, but becasue i want the game to run, while recording, at max fps possible. This is the way fraps is designed to work. It records at the frame rate the game runs. Or at least i havn't figurred it out how can i record at 30fps while playing the game at above 30fps.

I am running wow at max details, so there isn't any higher graphics i can enable And anyways, as i said earlier, if i limit fraps at 30fps the WoW runs, while recording, at 30fps (regardless of my graphic settings). So if i can run WoW at max details above 30fps, i would like to to that also while recording, so that's why i chose 60fps in fraps.

The 40Mb file was for 4 and a half mins of play time But quality was horrible (see sample.jpg). I have to fiddle with the compression settings, cuz i'm sure it can look a looot better at around the same file size.

I am running Win7 and the both HDDs are NTFS, but i belive that this is a limitation from FRAPS, not my HDD or OS.

Hehe, i don't argue that a Mac si sexier then a PC, but value for money rating is way lower then a PC.
    At least when you buy a mac, you will get a system that don't crash, it runs better, is more open, is faster and.. yeah just everything is better.

yeah, and u pay and arm and a leg for it. For the same amount of money u pay for a mac u get a PC twice as fast .

yeah, and u pay and arm and a leg for it. For the same amount of money u pay for a mac u get a PC twice as fast .
    ehm, running 2.8 ghz i7, with 8 gb ram, 320M graphic card, and run ultra graphics with full anti-aliasing in wow, have been used the computer pretty long time now, no wow crash, no application crash, or freezing computer it's only windows that get those shitty things.

You get what you pay for, with 4 gb ram in a mac, you can run easy 40 programs, without laggin - windows can run.. let me see 10? if wow is open? :P

Lol, u are comparing a laptop to a desktop. 320M a very low end videocard. I am pretty sure it can't run WoW maxed out, or maybe at low resolution. Here are some benchmarks on Notebookchek.com. As u can see it runs smoothly only at low settings most of the games. They also benched it in WoW and it runs 23fps at high (1280x1024 AA, AF) They don't say how much AA, but i doubt it's 8xAA. The Mac they tested on is C2D 2.4Ghz, and on a i7 u will get better performance, but not anywere near FULL details and max resolution

Please tell me what possible scenario would require me to run 40 programs WHILE playing WoW. And by programs i mean stuff like AutoCAD, Photosop, Lightroom, CorelDraw, etc..., not skype, YM, ventrilo, winamp and others like tese. I don't see a valid scenario where would i be required to run even 10 programs while playing a game , but that's just me.

A Macbook pro with i7 2.66Ghz, 4GB DD3 and GeForce GT330M in my country is around 2500 euro. Well, a PC with the same performance is around 800-1000 euro. So u certanlly don't get what u pay for with a mac . You usually pay around 2-3x what is worth.
    But it seems that Apple has some really telented ppl in the marketing department, if u know what i mean

And btw, no crashes in WoW or windows here too . Most of the crashes are user related, so it really doesn't matter if it's a MAC or a PC, if the user is dumb enough it will crash'em both

Lol, u are comparing a laptop to a desktop. 320M a very low end videocard. I am pretty sure it can't run WoW maxed out, or maybe at low resolution. Here are some benchmarks on Notebookchek.com. As u can see it runs smoothly only at low settings most of the games. They also benched it in WoW and it runs 23fps at high (1280x1024 AA, AF) They don't say how much AA, but i doubt it's 8xAA. The Mac they tested on is C2D 2.4Ghz, and on a i7 u will get better performance, but not anywere near FULL details and max resolution

Please tell me what possible scenario would require me to run 40 programs WHILE playing WoW. And by programs i mean stuff like AutoCAD, Photosop, Lightroom, CorelDraw, etc..., not skype, YM, ventrilo, winamp and others like tese. I don't see a valid scenario where would i be required to run even 10 programs while playing a game , but that's just me.

A Macbook pro with i7 2.66Ghz, 4GB DD3 and GeForce GT330M in my country is around 2500 euro. Well, a PC with the same performance is around 800-1000 euro. So u certanlly don't get what u pay for with a mac . You usually pay around 2-3x what is worth.
    But it seems that Apple has some really telented ppl in the marketing department, if u know what i mean

And btw, no crashes in WoW or windows here too . Most of the crashes are user related, so it really doesn't matter if it's a MAC or a PC, if the user is dumb enough it will crash'em both
    as you see, yep 320M is bad, on windows :P even 9600GT can max out graphics on mac :P

and btw, yeah :P u know how much 4gb ram handle of data when doing stuff on mac? :P pretty much dude
    Last edited by Zerpex; 09-18-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Actually is bad on mac too . The guys on notebookcheck tested a Mac there, not a PC
    I would really like to see a screenshot in Dalaran at full details (max res, max AA) to see what fps u have on a 320M.

woops, mean the 330M :P 512 mb

Actually is bad on mac too . The guys on notebookcheck tested a Mac there, not a PC
    I would really like to see a screenshot in Dalaran at full details (max res, max AA) to see what fps u have on a 320M.
    btw, there you go dude: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6...1810232135.jpg

+ Reply to Thread