+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aight, Kren's antsy to add a new PC item in his compy.

Aight, Kren's antsy to add a new PC item in his compy.

Here's the gist of what I have in the beast:

I5 OC to 3300 Processor.
    Mobo that allows up to an I7
    4 Gigs of DDR3 Ram
    1.5 TB 10000 RPM HD
    ATI Radeon HD 4890
    750W PSU
    Onboard sound (Less you're a designer, who cares about sound cards.)

So...have at it. What would be the one item to upgrade.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Fetzie would be the one to tell you, but that graphics card jumps out at me like a sore thumb.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

vibrating chair
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Rather than make a new thread, I'm also going to throw my stuff on here for the fun of hearing about what would be a good thing to dream about in the future:

1 x Case NZXT Alpha Gaming Case - Black
    0 x Case Lighting None
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion None
    1 x Processor Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive None
    1 x Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
    1 x Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
    1 x Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB - Single Card
    1 x Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
    1 x Motherboard [SLI] MSI X58 PRO-E
    1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface
    1 x Power Supply 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    1 x Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    0 x Data Hard Drive None
    1 x Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
    0 x 2nd Optical Drive None
    0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer None
    0 x Meter Display None
    1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    1 x Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit
    1 x Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black
    1 x Mouse iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse
    0 x Monitor None
    0 x 2nd Monitor None
    0 x Speaker System None
    0 x Headset None
    0 x Video Camera None
    1 x Warranty Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
    1 x Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Upgrade your ram, 4GB is sooooooo 2008.

The rest of the stuff seems p legit unless you want to upgrade your CPU, but unless that's your bottle neck on things, I wouldn't see it as necessary.

You could get Solid State hard drives too. A friend of mine just got 3 60GB solid state drives and put them in raid 0. to quote him, "I think and something happens."
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

@ Kren: I think you mentioned a $300 CA budget the other day. You also mentioned you like XFX graphics cards.

You have a few options without needing to upgrade the processsor and motherboard:

Upgrade the RAM (2x4GB @1600 MHz) - ~ 50 USD something like this:
    G.Skill F3 8GB (2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz) $49.99 CAD

Upgrade the GPU (we already talked about this)
    XFX HD 6850 promotion $114 CAD after mail-in/ $144 CAD before mail-in
    XFX HD 6870 $179.99 CAD after mail-in rebate
    Zotac GTX 560ti 448 cores $259.99 CAD after mail-in
    XFX HD 6950 $249.99 CAD after mail-in
    XFX HD 6970 $329.99 CAD after mail-in

Get an SSD for the OS and most commonly used applications. Doesn't need to be a RAID array, even a single one will make everything happen so much quicker. ~ 130+ USD. 128GB is the optimal size imo...enough for office, windows and two games.
    Intel 320 SATA2 120GB SSD $146.53 CAD after mail-in rebate/$216.53 before mail-in rebate
    Kingston SSD NOW SATA 2 64GB $74.99 CAD promotion

You could get the RAM, a GPU and the 64 GB SSD (enough for windows + a game) for the $300 CAD.

prices are all NCIX because that is the only canadian hardware website I have heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by truculent View Post
    vibrating chair
    qft
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I wouldn't buy XFX products if you really are trying to stretch a budget, they are some of the most expensive cards on the market compared to the competition. Just my opinion though, I have a MSI Twin Frozr 6870 that works wonders, though the fans sound like jet engines at high speeds.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

I only listed those because Kren told me he likes their stuff and their warranty.

Well if he is looking at upgrading only a couple of things, jumping up to at least 8GB of RAM is going to increase performance drastically. I noticed a massive climb when I went from 4 to 12GB, and even an 8GB set of RAM isn't all that expensive, G.Skill Ripjaws are good value and high quality. A 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws set is 31 dollars right now, dunno what type of RAM exactly he has installed but I have found that I was able to combine the Ripjaws and a Performance series set also by G.Skill since they had the exact same timings.

Plus getting the best bang for the buck out of a graphics card is the way to go, I wouldn't upgrade a processor unless it's a dual core i5, which again I don't know what model it is so I can't tell if it's the quad core model or not. And with Intel jacking up their prices on their processors about 6 months ago in the wake of the tsunami in Japan, it's really not worth it until they come back down in my opinion.

And Newegg Canada has cheaper prices then NCIX generally, but not always the same selection. You can get a Gigabyte HD 6950 from Newegg for 240 dollars at the cheapest and it's probably the best performer as well, triple fans too: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814125372

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

6950 2g http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150550 has the potential to be turned into a 6970 with this bios flash http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/159
    Last edited by artie; 12-27-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: wrong link

xfx 6950's can't be bios flashed to 6970s...they are one of the few companies that laser cut the extra shaders.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    xfx 6950's can't be bios flashed to 6970s...they are one of the few companies that laser cut the extra shaders.
    GAH!!!

The sapphire i have, lucky for me, can be.

+ Reply to Thread